Re:art lessons for 8th grade

  • Wanda Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
      My 8th grade students do several rather inexpensive projects that they love, one is a papier mache project making animals. I have the Crizmac (sp) cd on the Oaxacan wood carvers that I show them plus pictures of carvings off the internet. We paint them using acrylics as I have found tempera cracks when applied over the paste. They also paint Aboriginal dot, x-ray paintings or bark paintings on brown paper big grocery bags spilt open work very well. These they paint in tempera using q-tips. The boys like the x-ray paintings and the stick men with arrows hunitng the animals. I sometimes do "hide" paintings on the grocery bags  in oil pastels if we have time for a unit on Native Americans. I have my 8th grade for a semester so we sometimes run out of time. Let me know if you need more plans as I have a billion!! Wanda