Re:art lessons for 8th grade

  • Greg Hogan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
      I also teach 8th graders.  One of the things that they really like is scratch art, and paper mache creatures.  These are just a couple of things that you can try.
      Hope this helps.

    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
        I find my sculptural projects to be most popular with my older
        students. One that was awesome and not too expensive, especially if
        you prepare ahead and ask for donated panty hose, was a study on Henry
        Moore. We made wire forms and covered them with panty hose. There are
        some restrictions on size since you have to get the panty hose over
        the form, but they look awesome and when grouped together they are
        quiet impressive. I've also done plaster carvings (with files, not
        chisels) while studying Henry Moore. There is a greater chance of
        success with the files since they work slowly and don't bang the
        plaster, which you know can cause it to break in unexpected ways.
        Good luck,
        Brandy

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Patti" <cwhite@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone have any ideas for art lessons for 8th grade? This
        is my first year teaching and the 8th grade kids are really a tough croud.

        > Thanks to all
        >
        > P. White

      • Wanda Smith
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
          My 8th grade students do several rather inexpensive projects that they love, one is a papier mache project making animals. I have the Crizmac (sp) cd on the Oaxacan wood carvers that I show them plus pictures of carvings off the internet. We paint them using acrylics as I have found tempera cracks when applied over the paste. They also paint Aboriginal dot, x-ray paintings or bark paintings on brown paper big grocery bags spilt open work very well. These they paint in tempera using q-tips. The boys like the x-ray paintings and the stick men with arrows hunitng the animals. I sometimes do "hide" paintings on the grocery bags  in oil pastels if we have time for a unit on Native Americans. I have my 8th grade for a semester so we sometimes run out of time. Let me know if you need more plans as I have a billion!! Wanda