Re: [art_education] art lessons for 8th grade

  • Kris Fontes
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
      My middle school students love graphic novels/comic books. Take a look at this lesson called Autobiographic Comics on my website http://www.krisfontes.com/autobiographical_comics.htm and click on the link to the Spiral Workshop for the lesson plan and handouts.
      Kris Fontes
      northwest PA

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
        Kris, my students LOVE that lesson - in fact, each year we create a "class comic book" which includes my eighth grade and my credit bearing art classes. When it is bound and completed, we donate it to our school library (now called the media center).

        Namaste,

        Jim Cipalla

        Art Teacher, Northside Middle School
        Norfolk,Virginia
        Vice President, TVAEA (Tidewater Virginia Art Educators Association)
        JCipalla@...

        Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
        = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
          I also teach 8th graders.  One of the things that they really like is scratch art, and paper mache creatures.  These are just a couple of things that you can try.
          Hope this helps.

        • Brandy
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
            I find my sculptural projects to be most popular with my older
            students. One that was awesome and not too expensive, especially if
            you prepare ahead and ask for donated panty hose, was a study on Henry
            Moore. We made wire forms and covered them with panty hose. There are
            some restrictions on size since you have to get the panty hose over
            the form, but they look awesome and when grouped together they are
            quiet impressive. I've also done plaster carvings (with files, not
            chisels) while studying Henry Moore. There is a greater chance of
            success with the files since they work slowly and don't bang the
            plaster, which you know can cause it to break in unexpected ways.
            Good luck,
            Brandy

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Patti" <cwhite@...> wrote:

            > Does anyone have any ideas for art lessons for 8th grade? This
            is my first year teaching and the 8th grade kids are really a tough croud.

            > Thanks to all
            >
            > P. White

          • Wanda Smith
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
              My 8th grade students do several rather inexpensive projects that they love, one is a papier mache project making animals. I have the Crizmac (sp) cd on the Oaxacan wood carvers that I show them plus pictures of carvings off the internet. We paint them using acrylics as I have found tempera cracks when applied over the paste. They also paint Aboriginal dot, x-ray paintings or bark paintings on brown paper big grocery bags spilt open work very well. These they paint in tempera using q-tips. The boys like the x-ray paintings and the stick men with arrows hunitng the animals. I sometimes do "hide" paintings on the grocery bags  in oil pastels if we have time for a unit on Native Americans. I have my 8th grade for a semester so we sometimes run out of time. Let me know if you need more plans as I have a billion!! Wanda