art lessons for 8th grade

  • Patti
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
          Does anyone have any ideas for art lessons for 8th grade? This is my first year teaching and the 8th grade kids are really a tough croud.

      Thanks to all

      P. White
    • smjahnle@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
        In a message dated 10/2/2007 8:15:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time, cwhite@... writes:
           Does anyone have any ideas for art lessons for 8th grade? This is my first year teaching and the 8th grade kids are really a tough croud.

        Thanks to all

        P. White

        My 8th graders loved viewing Claes Oldenburg's monumental sculptures of familiar objects (clothespin, button, hamburger) and were excited to enlarge lollipops, crayons, fast food fries, ipods, keys, sticks of gum, and coins by at least 5 times normal size!  The students were encouraged to use alternative materials for their sculptures - unusual fabrics, etc.  Their finished works were a real hit at our school.  Sandy in PA

      • Dean & Cathy Frederickson
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
          Message
              Hey P. White!
              That was my first job out of college, floating art in a 4000+ middle school and I was the 3rd teacher they'd had that year. I did an interest inventory with them, just laying out that I had mandated goals to teach but wanted to do that with their interests in mind. Some of the things they REALLY liked: a warm-up sketch book, they spent five minutes trying to copy an overhead or poster I put up as soon as I came into the room (I kept all their work in big table folders on my cart so there were no excuses about lost work). Weaving was popular, painting and clay were big, oh painting with unusual mediums or textures really appealed to the students. I think the key is finding common ground with them and listening to what they are interested in. Keep up the spirit and strength that got you to this point! You have worked very hard to become a teacher, this will become so much easier and smoother with experience, believe me it is worth your love and time! Art is the key to a better world for all of us.
          Cathy

              Does anyone have any ideas for art lessons for 8th grade? This is my first year teaching and the 8th grade kids are really a tough croud.

          Thanks to all

          P. White

        • Kris Fontes
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2007
            My middle school students love graphic novels/comic books. Take a look at this lesson called Autobiographic Comics on my website http://www.krisfontes.com/autobiographical_comics.htm and click on the link to the Spiral Workshop for the lesson plan and handouts.
            Kris Fontes
            northwest PA

[...]

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          • James Cipalla
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
              Kris, my students LOVE that lesson - in fact, each year we create a "class comic book" which includes my eighth grade and my credit bearing art classes. When it is bound and completed, we donate it to our school library (now called the media center).

              Namaste,

              Jim Cipalla

              Art Teacher, Northside Middle School
              Norfolk,Virginia
              Vice President, TVAEA (Tidewater Virginia Art Educators Association)
              JCipalla@...

              Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
              = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
                I also teach 8th graders.  One of the things that they really like is scratch art, and paper mache creatures.  These are just a couple of things that you can try.
                Hope this helps.

              • Brandy
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 3, 2007
                  I find my sculptural projects to be most popular with my older
                  students. One that was awesome and not too expensive, especially if
                  you prepare ahead and ask for donated panty hose, was a study on Henry
                  Moore. We made wire forms and covered them with panty hose. There are
                  some restrictions on size since you have to get the panty hose over
                  the form, but they look awesome and when grouped together they are
                  quiet impressive. I've also done plaster carvings (with files, not
                  chisels) while studying Henry Moore. There is a greater chance of
                  success with the files since they work slowly and don't bang the
                  plaster, which you know can cause it to break in unexpected ways.
                  Good luck,
                  Brandy

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Patti" <cwhite@...> wrote:

                  > Does anyone have any ideas for art lessons for 8th grade? This
                  is my first year teaching and the 8th grade kids are really a tough croud.

                  > Thanks to all
                  >
                  > P. White

                • Wanda Smith
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 4, 2007
                    My 8th grade students do several rather inexpensive projects that they love, one is a papier mache project making animals. I have the Crizmac (sp) cd on the Oaxacan wood carvers that I show them plus pictures of carvings off the internet. We paint them using acrylics as I have found tempera cracks when applied over the paste. They also paint Aboriginal dot, x-ray paintings or bark paintings on brown paper big grocery bags spilt open work very well. These they paint in tempera using q-tips. The boys like the x-ray paintings and the stick men with arrows hunitng the animals. I sometimes do "hide" paintings on the grocery bags  in oil pastels if we have time for a unit on Native Americans. I have my 8th grade for a semester so we sometimes run out of time. Let me know if you need more plans as I have a billion!! Wanda