Re:Organizing Teaching Portfolio, Need Opinions Please

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Hi Cat,

      Having a visual portfolio with you can really help you land the job. Bringing student
      examples along if you can is also important. Make sure you ask if you can take some time
      and show your studnets' work. As you explain the project, what they learned and why you
      selected this piece will show your love of the students and art. I updated my teacher book
      last year when I interviewed to keep my long term teaching job. I had my resume,
      cerificates, rationale, mission statement, student work by grade, a lesson plan for each
      grade and published lessons. I had pictures from the art show and students at work. I
      was able to use the tabs on the side to illustrate my answers to a few questions with the
      book. I have one of those huge binders with pages in clear protectors. I teach elementary,
      so my background pages were color coded in rainbow order. You can use color without
      going overboard. You might want to develop a curriculum for a high school level course
      to show you can do it. You could also have some lessons published (IAD perhaps). Having
      examples of your own work is very important for some district, others want your interview
      to be focused in on what you will bring to their program. If you can substitute in that
      school get in there as often as you can, it really does make a difference. Good luck, and
      remember everything happens for a reason. Ali