Re:Organizing Teaching Portfolio, Need Opinions Please

  • Bethany Simonson
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      I helped my college art ed. prof. research and speak about Art Teacher Portfolios at NAEA two years ago! :)  We interviewed principals about what they want to see when they look at a candidate for an art position.  We found that while a CD is a great addition to a portfolio, when interviewed you will want to have all of the most important info. and pictures in a nice, professional looking portfolio that you can physically hand to the principal to look through during your interview. I think I bought mine through Dick Blick but i'm not sure anymore.  Also, we found that the majority of principals prefer a "mini-portfolio" over a CD.  They told us they RARELY take the time to put the CD into the computer and look through it unless they are pretty sure already that they want to hire someone. If you send a mini porfolio for them to keep with your resume, they will more likely look at it and you might impress them.  Have your diploma, original transcripts, extra copies of a list of references and resume in your professional portfolio (the one you take TO the interview).  Have at least two lesson plans (one 2d one 3d) including pictures of student examples for each lesson.  Then, have pictures of your own work, but limit them to you BEST in each area.   If you have any awards, certificates, or if you have written any substantial papers (thesis) or had any publications, also include those of info about them on an "honors and awards" page. All of these pages should be professional in appearance.  Use the same font and stay away from the "scrapbook look".  When I interviewed, I found that my portfolio not only made me look more qualified,  but it also HELPED me  answer some questions!  When the principals asked senario based questions, I could sometimes point to the student art in my portfolio and talk about what happened during that project and relate the question to an experience.

      I am at my school computer right now, but if anyone would like to see a copy of "Mini Portfolio" that I send w/my resume, email me and I'll send you the attachment.  It is a simple brochure made in Microsoft publisher.  It is only one sheet of paper but has color pictures and all of the highlights from my resume and portfolio.

      Hope this helps!,
      Bethany
      --
      "Our similarities bring us to a common ground. Our differences allow us to be fascinated by each other."

      -Tom Robbins
    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        Hi Cat,

        Having a visual portfolio with you can really help you land the job. Bringing student
        examples along if you can is also important. Make sure you ask if you can take some time
        and show your studnets' work. As you explain the project, what they learned and why you
        selected this piece will show your love of the students and art. I updated my teacher book
        last year when I interviewed to keep my long term teaching job. I had my resume,
        cerificates, rationale, mission statement, student work by grade, a lesson plan for each
        grade and published lessons. I had pictures from the art show and students at work. I
        was able to use the tabs on the side to illustrate my answers to a few questions with the
        book. I have one of those huge binders with pages in clear protectors. I teach elementary,
        so my background pages were color coded in rainbow order. You can use color without
        going overboard. You might want to develop a curriculum for a high school level course
        to show you can do it. You could also have some lessons published (IAD perhaps). Having
        examples of your own work is very important for some district, others want your interview
        to be focused in on what you will bring to their program. If you can substitute in that
        school get in there as often as you can, it really does make a difference. Good luck, and
        remember everything happens for a reason. Ali