RE: [art_education] K-2 Lesson plans for a sub

  • Paige Conn
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      I have less than 30 minutes with my younger ones so these are the activities that usually work for me.

      I know you've thought of this, but my kids 1-5 love to "free draw". I do not think they get the opportunity much to just let their imaginations run on their own. Many even have a tough time getting started because they are so use to doing what they are told..."You mean I can draw whatever I want?" I get out pencils, colored pencils, and crayons and give them 1-2 pieces of paper.

      I also sometimes use color sheets to connect with a previous lesson.

      The younger kids enjoy the Mark Kistler "Drawing 3-d" videos to follow along with. He gets on my nerves so I try to use him with a sub.

      Art Memory/Concentration works well in small groups of 2-3.

      Since we basically never use our textbooks, sometimes I let them play like they are the teacher and look through to choose the project they would want to do next or play a game locating different things in the book.

      I know these are so very basic, but for my time frame and to keep a sub's head above water....

      Paige
      Fredericksburg, Texas

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        What about having the sub read a book and then the children can have open drawing
        after? You can have it relate or let them choose. Some books I love: The big orange Splot
        by Plumwater I think, Black Cat by Christopher Myers, any Eric Carle, Leo Lionni (Mathew's
        Dream), The Colors of Us by Karen Katz, Lois Ehlert books- ANY, Mouse Paint by Ellen
        Walsh... I bet you have a bunch you love too. They could take turns modeling for gesture
        drawing too, that is always a fun sub activity. Have fun at the convention! Ali