Organizing Teaching Portfolio, Need Opinions Please

  • Act Silly 4 Art
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
      Okay a couple of months back I started putting together my Art Teacher Portfolio for a new art teacher position that I was asked to apply for.  Well, I've finished but now I'm not sure I like the way I've done it.

      First, I'm doing an e-portfolio using PowerPoint and burning it to a CD which I will enclose with my resume.  I like this idea because I am able to put a lot of photos on in the portfolio HOWEVER I'm not sure if I've put in too much, enough or not enough.  And I'm having second thoughts about maybe setting up a webpage instead and giving the site to the interviewer.

      Second, I organized the PPT with hyperlinks that take the viewer from the Menu screen to either Lesson Plans, 5th Grade Art, 6th Grade Art, 7th Grade Art, 8th Grade Art, and Other Art Projects.  Within the Grade Section there is a menu that takes the viewer to subsections of Fiber Art, Painting, Drawing, Printmaking, Ceramics, Sculpture, Photography and Multicultural Art.  In each subsection I've included only the BEST works over the last 6 years but now I'm thinking maybe I should have included works of students who did not do so well on the projects to show that not all my students are perfect.  I'm also wondering if I should have just organized the PPT by mediums and not grade levels since I am applying for a High School position.

      The CD is too large for me to share with the group so I've got to just describe what I'm doing and hopefully it makes sense to you all.  Anyway, I really appreciate any opinion on how I should organize the e-portfolio or should I just do a webpage?  The art teacher at the High School has told me that I should send everything in by December so I've got a couple of months to play around with this before submitting it.

      Thank you all for your help,
      cat

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
    • Bethany Simonson
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        I helped my college art ed. prof. research and speak about Art Teacher Portfolios at NAEA two years ago! :)  We interviewed principals about what they want to see when they look at a candidate for an art position.  We found that while a CD is a great addition to a portfolio, when interviewed you will want to have all of the most important info. and pictures in a nice, professional looking portfolio that you can physically hand to the principal to look through during your interview. I think I bought mine through Dick Blick but i'm not sure anymore.  Also, we found that the majority of principals prefer a "mini-portfolio" over a CD.  They told us they RARELY take the time to put the CD into the computer and look through it unless they are pretty sure already that they want to hire someone. If you send a mini porfolio for them to keep with your resume, they will more likely look at it and you might impress them.  Have your diploma, original transcripts, extra copies of a list of references and resume in your professional portfolio (the one you take TO the interview).  Have at least two lesson plans (one 2d one 3d) including pictures of student examples for each lesson.  Then, have pictures of your own work, but limit them to you BEST in each area.   If you have any awards, certificates, or if you have written any substantial papers (thesis) or had any publications, also include those of info about them on an "honors and awards" page. All of these pages should be professional in appearance.  Use the same font and stay away from the "scrapbook look".  When I interviewed, I found that my portfolio not only made me look more qualified,  but it also HELPED me  answer some questions!  When the principals asked senario based questions, I could sometimes point to the student art in my portfolio and talk about what happened during that project and relate the question to an experience.

        I am at my school computer right now, but if anyone would like to see a copy of "Mini Portfolio" that I send w/my resume, email me and I'll send you the attachment.  It is a simple brochure made in Microsoft publisher.  It is only one sheet of paper but has color pictures and all of the highlights from my resume and portfolio.

        Hope this helps!,
        Bethany
        --
        "Our similarities bring us to a common ground. Our differences allow us to be fascinated by each other."

        -Tom Robbins
      • aliteachesart
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
          Hi Cat,

          Having a visual portfolio with you can really help you land the job. Bringing student
          examples along if you can is also important. Make sure you ask if you can take some time
          and show your studnets' work. As you explain the project, what they learned and why you
          selected this piece will show your love of the students and art. I updated my teacher book
          last year when I interviewed to keep my long term teaching job. I had my resume,
          cerificates, rationale, mission statement, student work by grade, a lesson plan for each
          grade and published lessons. I had pictures from the art show and students at work. I
          was able to use the tabs on the side to illustrate my answers to a few questions with the
          book. I have one of those huge binders with pages in clear protectors. I teach elementary,
          so my background pages were color coded in rainbow order. You can use color without
          going overboard. You might want to develop a curriculum for a high school level course
          to show you can do it. You could also have some lessons published (IAD perhaps). Having
          examples of your own work is very important for some district, others want your interview
          to be focused in on what you will bring to their program. If you can substitute in that
          school get in there as often as you can, it really does make a difference. Good luck, and
          remember everything happens for a reason. Ali