K-2 Lesson plans for a sub

  • ginayac
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2007
      Hi EVeryone,

      I am going to the AENJ and for the first time I will have a sub fill in
      for me. My principal asked me to give something lite for the sub as
      she has not art background.
      I do not want to start a new project as I will do that next week with
      them. Any suggestions on what is lite I can do with them.

      Thanks Gina in NJ
    • Paige Conn
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
        I have less than 30 minutes with my younger ones so these are the activities that usually work for me.

        I know you've thought of this, but my kids 1-5 love to "free draw". I do not think they get the opportunity much to just let their imaginations run on their own. Many even have a tough time getting started because they are so use to doing what they are told..."You mean I can draw whatever I want?" I get out pencils, colored pencils, and crayons and give them 1-2 pieces of paper.

        I also sometimes use color sheets to connect with a previous lesson.

        The younger kids enjoy the Mark Kistler "Drawing 3-d" videos to follow along with. He gets on my nerves so I try to use him with a sub.

        Art Memory/Concentration works well in small groups of 2-3.

        Since we basically never use our textbooks, sometimes I let them play like they are the teacher and look through to choose the project they would want to do next or play a game locating different things in the book.

        I know these are so very basic, but for my time frame and to keep a sub's head above water....

        Paige
        Fredericksburg, Texas

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2007
          What about having the sub read a book and then the children can have open drawing
          after? You can have it relate or let them choose. Some books I love: The big orange Splot
          by Plumwater I think, Black Cat by Christopher Myers, any Eric Carle, Leo Lionni (Mathew's
          Dream), The Colors of Us by Karen Katz, Lois Ehlert books- ANY, Mouse Paint by Ellen
          Walsh... I bet you have a bunch you love too. They could take turns modeling for gesture
          drawing too, that is always a fun sub activity. Have fun at the convention! Ali