watercolors and a humid room

  • Patricia Jones Brigman
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2007
      Greetings!
      How do you deal with watercolors (Prang boxed sets) that never dry.  In fact, they stay sticky and gummy in one of my art rooms.  This particular room is very humid...even the pages on books I have sitting around on display are curling.  I bought a couple of fans to dry the art work, but they don't really make much of a difference.  Paintings done at 8:00 am are still sticky by 3:00.  Since the paint in the pots never dry, the kids tend to dig the paint out of the pots (it really is gooey) and put too much on their paper, then, even after 2 weeks, some are still sticky!  It's very irritating.   When I stack them, I have to place paper between some of the work to keep it from sticking together.  I tried to explain about using plenty of water with the paint, not making it look thick or opaque, doing washes, etc., but comparing one school's work to the other's, the non-humid building has had much more success than the muggy one.  The room is in a brand new building and is one of the first "real" elementary art rooms in our district.  It's beautiful, but the work students have produced has been affected by the high humidity.  I've spoken with those in charge about the humidity and asked for a de-humidifier, but I don't know how much that would help, considering it's a huge space.  Do we need to use a different type of watercolors?  I thought about using liquid watercolor, but am unsure how elementary kids would handle them.

      I guess I just need suggestions on how to deal with gooey watercolors.  I'm not a watercolorist, so am hoping some of you might have suggestions.

      Thanks again (and again)!
      Patti
      (what would I do without you all?)

      Patti Brigman
      Art Teacher
      Walker Elementary
      Shaw Elementary

    • Jen Millward
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 29, 2007

        Patti,

        I’m not a teacher so am not familiar with fire codes, etc, but would you be able to set up a dehumidifier in your art room? They work really well but need to be emptied every so often.

        Just a thought,

        Jen in NY

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 29, 2007

          Disregard previous email…just noticed you mentioned a dehumidifier. I think it would do the trick if they let you get one.

          Jen in NY

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 29, 2007
            Patricia,

            Humid conditions affect alot of materials. I finally
            got the district to buy a dehumidifier for my room.
            Due to the large space I have a storage closet I have
            transfered all my paper and and supplies to that I put
            the de-humidifer into (for late spring, summer, early
            fall). It has kept my paper and other supplies less
            affected.

            The binder in the watercolor is what keeps the paint
            from drying out to much and keeps it soft and sticky.
            Unless it is extremely hot without humidity they
            probably will not dry out completely.

            Another note if your district buys you a de-humidifier
            have them get one that a hose can be attached to so it
            drains into a drain hole in the room or sink other
            then having to empty the bucket all the time.

            Jeff (minnesota)

            http://sims.yahoo.com/
          • pent19
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
              I have had a similar problem with printmaking inks. The first year I
              did the project many of the prints appeared dry but weren't. I did
              this same project the following year but at a different time and
              drying wasn't an issue. I am sure a dehumidifier would work...but the
              time of the year could help maybe too. of course I am in 4-seasons NY
              where humidity varies throughout the year.
              Michele NY
              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Patricia Jones Brigman"
              <pbrigman@...> wrote:

              > Greetings!
              > How do you deal with watercolors (Prang boxed sets) that never dry. In
              > fact, they stay sticky and gummy in one of my art rooms. This
              particular
              > room is very humid...even the pages on books I have sitting around on
              > display are curling. I bought a couple of fans to dry the art work,
              but
              > they don't really make much of a difference. Paintings done at 8:00
              am are
              > still sticky by 3:00. Since the paint in the pots never dry, the
              kids tend
              > to dig the paint out of the pots (it really is gooey) and put too
              much on
              > their paper, then, even after 2 weeks, some are still sticky! It's
              very
              > irritating. When I stack them, I have to place paper between some
              of the
              > work to keep it from sticking together. I tried to explain about using
              > plenty of water with the paint, not making it look thick or opaque,
              doing
              > washes, etc., but comparing one school's work to the other's, the
              non-humid
              > building has had much more success than the muggy one. The room is
              in a
              > brand new building and is one of the first "real" elementary art
              rooms in
              > our district. It's beautiful, but the work students have produced
              has been
              > affected by the high humidity. I've spoken with those in charge
              about the
              > humidity and asked for a de-humidifier, but I don't know how much
              that would
              > help, considering it's a huge space. Do we need to use a different
              type of
              > watercolors? I thought about using liquid watercolor, but am unsure
              how
              > elementary kids would handle them.
              >
              > I guess I just need suggestions on how to deal with gooey
              watercolors. I'm
              > not a watercolorist, so am hoping some of you might have suggestions.
              >
              > Thanks again (and again)!
              > Patti
              > (what would I do without you all?)
              >

              > Patti Brigman
              > Art Teacher
              > Walker Elementary
              > Shaw Elementary

            • Marsha Carman
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
                I too have used the Prang watercolors. They are semi-moist watercolors and
                tend to stay sticky. I chose to refill mine with crayola watercolor
                refills. They are not moist, nor are they sticky. They tend to last a lot
                longer than the prang. They do fit the prang containers if you order the
                ovals.

                Marsha
                OK

                Get a FREE small business Web site and more from Microsoft� Office Live!
                http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0930003811mrt/direct/01/
              • Jay Paxton
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
                  Talk to the PTA and parents to see if anyone has a dehumidifier they would
                  like to donate.

                  I do like the Prang watercolors, but drying can be a problem. I never close
                  the lids! I over lap them so they stay open and will dry faster.

                  Jay

[...]

                  It�s the Windows Live� Hotmail� you love � on your phone!
                  http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/mobilehotmail/default.mspx?WT.mc_ID=MobileHMTagline2
                • K Olson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 30, 2007
                    Hi All...

                    I always leave my watercolor boxes open to dry out.  At cleanup time I remind the kids to leave them open, I collect them and lay them out on a counter to dry.  Sometimes I'll put them outside to dry on a table and bring them in at the end of the day.

                    I live in sunny not-humid So Cal so I don't have to worry too much about humidity.  On the other hand, a lot of my kids have never seen snow before.......

                    Kathy