college level

  • Joanna Whitney
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 28, 2007
      Is there anyone in this group who teaches College? I teach freschmen Color Theory and
      Drawing at the Art Institute of Colorado - it is really like teaching High School but I am not
      sure anyone teaches High School Drawing similarly - I have 4-hour class blocks to fill. I have
      never taught Drawing in an 11 week block with 4-hour classes before - Color Theory this is
      my 2nd quarter doing that - anyone with suggestions, I welcome.

      thanks,

      Joanna
    • draw.art
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 28, 2007
        Hi, joanna-
        I teach at the College level. Color theory goes for 2 and 1/2 hrs- 4 hrs. Is quite a long time, but you can break up the time into different segments. I teach about light also. I am draw.art@....
        Barbara
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 28, 2007
          Hi Joanna,

          I teach elementary- but I remember what we did in thoses 101 classes back in the day at
          WSC. Color Theory we worked exclusively with color aid paper, I don't know if they even
          make that anymore, but it had all the tones, shades, tints, neutral gray;the lessons were
          very graphic, great color studies like creating a motif and repeating it in diferent
          colorways. Intro to drawing was a lot of drawing from life, anatomy studies, and nudes.
          We also did a large grid drawing and drew parts from slides of great works to fill them in.
          We were allowed color, I still have this one floating around somewhere. We altered a
          famous work to incorporate a self portrait too. I did MC Escher holding up the mirror ball.
          We did lots of value charts too I think. Hope that helps, ALi
        • Jeff Pridie
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 28, 2007
            Joanna,

            I take this is a beginning drawing class? You have to
            consider that some of the students might have some
            drawing background and some do not.

            A drawing course in 11 weeks with each class being
            four hours long you would have to consider the
            following:

            What drawing mediums will you intro/review with
            students?
            With each drawing medium what
            techniques:traditional/modern?
            Laying out a drawing? sketching, drawing, gridding,
            opaque,
            Subjects: Landscapes/People/Animals/Structures
            Styles: Realistic/Impressionistic/Modern
            Observational vs. from photos
            Compositional issues/cropping/final presentation of
            work
            Critiques/Assessment Personal/Class
            Historical content to artist who use drawing mediums
            or use drawing as a means to create other types of art
            forms.

            This should take up 11 weeks and four hour classes
            really well.

            Jeff (Minnesota)
            --- Joanna Whitney <joannagw@...> wrote:

            > Is there anyone in this group who teaches College?
            > I teach freschmen Color Theory and
            > Drawing at the Art Institute of Colorado - it is
            > really like teaching High School but I am not
            > sure anyone teaches High School Drawing similarly -
            > I have 4-hour class blocks to fill. I have
            > never taught Drawing in an 11 week block with 4-hour
            > classes before - Color Theory this is
            > my 2nd quarter doing that - anyone with suggestions,
            > I welcome.
            >
            > thanks,
            >
            > Joanna

            http://autos.yahoo.com/index.html
          • Mikel Lee
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 29, 2007
              When I was in college my classes were similar to what
              you describe, except they lasted 16 weeks. Our Drawing
              1 instructor was Katherine Liontas-Warren, she is a
              very talented printmaker and "draw-er"..(what is the
              proper term for artist who draws anyways?)...

              We always had extremely large still-lifes and we
              discussed different techniques and we drew. She would
              give us a certain amount of class time and we also had
              to come in on our own time to draw when the room was
              open. We started with graphite and contour line and
              progressed to charcoal and other experimental things.
              We did not use color because we had not had color
              theory. We didn't start any type of modeling until she
              thought most of us were getting how to show weight
              with only line?? We also has homework assignments that
              were similar to what we did in class but with our own
              choices thrown in.

              It was very intense and critiques were every ones
              drawings put up side by side with discussion of the
              strong and weak points of the drawings compared with
              each other and no names used. We were graded with a
              letter grade (no rubric, that would have been nice,
              but she gave good constructive comments)

              I really feel that the class was good and I am glad
              that it was hard because it really let the people who
              were in the wrong major figure it out quickly. I do
              not think you should water it down for the freshmen
              attitude. They need to rise to the challenge.
              - Mikel in OK

              > really like teaching High School but I am not
              > sure anyone teaches High School Drawing similarly -
              > I have 4-hour class blocks to fill. I have
              > never taught Drawing in an 11 week block with 4-hour
              > classes before - Color Theory this is
              > my 2nd quarter doing that - anyone with suggestions,
              > I welcome.
              >
              > thanks,
              >
              > Joanna

              http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
            • Ken
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 29, 2007
                I teach Computer Graphics at Ivy Tech Community College and various
                education courses for Indiana Wesleyan University and the University
                of Phoenix. The computer graphics course is two nights a week from
                6:00 - 8:50 p.m. The course goes for 12 weeks.

                I would recommend still life, contour line, self portrait, and figure
                drawing. Each figure pose would be around 15 - 30 minutes. You could
                also do quick contour line drawings with the model changing poses
                every minute or two. A lead in to your figure drawings might be
                anatomy lessons so that they catch the major muscle groups. Hopefully
                your college provides the money to pay for models. Other projects
                might include drawing their hands on three panels in three separate
                poses.

                Your color theory might be a lead in to using color pencils and
                pastels. Have them alter the colors from the real object they're
                drawing. Hope this helps.

                Ken

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Joanna Whitney" <joannagw@...>
                wrote:

                > Is there anyone in this group who teaches College? I teach
                freschmen Color Theory and
                > Drawing at the Art Institute of Colorado - it is really like
                teaching High School but I am not
                > sure anyone teaches High School Drawing similarly - I have 4-hour
                class blocks to fill. I have
                > never taught Drawing in an 11 week block with 4-hour classes before
                - Color Theory this is
                > my 2nd quarter doing that - anyone with suggestions, I welcome.
                >
                > thanks,
                >
                > Joanna

              • Kerry Marquis
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 30, 2007
                  Hi Joanna,

                  I created some ArtQuest type lessons on color theory that I used when
                  I was teaching an adult beginning painting class - they did not have
                  basic color theory. I sold them to McGraw Hill who posted them with
                  some other ArtQuests that I made. They go over basic color theory
                  terms. Here's the link.
                  http://www.glencoe.com/sec/art/introducing_art/students/art_quests.php
                  /
                  Kerry Marquis
                  www.teachpottery.net

                  wrote:

                  > Is there anyone in this group who teaches College? I teach
                  freschmen Color Theory and
                  > Drawing at the Art Institute of Colorado - it is really like
                  teaching High School but I am not
                  > sure anyone teaches High School Drawing similarly - I have 4-hour
                  class blocks to fill. I have
                  > never taught Drawing in an 11 week block with 4-hour classes
                  before - Color Theory this is
                  > my 2nd quarter doing that - anyone with suggestions, I welcome.
                  >
                  > thanks,
                  >
                  > Joanna

                • Marsha Carman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2007
                    I think the best book to help teach drawing to upper level students is
                    "Drawing From Observation" by Brian Curtis. I use a lot of things from the
                    book to teach drawing in high school. It is an Advanced Placement or upper
                    level book that has some great techniques and ideas. I wish my college
                    professor would have used it!

                    Marsha
                    High School Art

                    Share your special parenting moments!
                  • Marsha Carman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 1, 2007
                      Here is a link for the "Drawing from Observation" book by Brian Curtis.

                      http://www.as.miami.edu/art/bcurtis_book.html

                      I believe you can get a preview copy for educators from McGraw Hill.

                      Marsha
                      OK

                      It�s the Windows Live� Hotmail� you love � on your phone!
                      http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/mobilehotmail/default.mspx?WT.mc_ID=MobileHMTagline2
                    • draw.art
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 1, 2007
                        Kerry,
                        Thanks for the wonderful site and art quests. So helpful! I'd like to tell you, though, to check the  links because so many of them are no longer linking up to anything. Barbara