Re: Large Flowers

  • Bethany Simonson
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2007
      Regarding the flowers, I can help answer some questions b/c I volunteered there!  I never helped w/the rust flowers so I'm not sure how those are done, but I helped make the colorful flowers.  Here is how it is done!  The metal is the sheets that are left over from printing newspapers.  I'm not sure what these are called, but they are donated from the local newspaper companies.  They still have ink on them so they are a little messy but oh well! They are all cut down to the same size.  Then they are passed out to the adults who work there (most have mental disabilities, some physical.)  The adults then paint the large sheets of metal.  They just kinda go crazy with it! Sometimes a volunteer will paint the sheets one solid color first and then the adults will go in and add designs all over it.  They use acrylic paint that has been watered down a bit.  Sometimes volunteers are also asked to go back in and outline the designs made by the adult workers.  Next, volunteers cut the sheets of painted metal into strips.  Then, we used die-cut presses to press the shape of the petals and of the center curly thing.  We used gloves when handling the metal b/c it is very sharp.  To curl the center we used a pencil and acted like the metal was a ribbon to be curled.  I never assembed a flower, only the leaders did that, but I think they assembled it with some kind of wire in the back!  HOPE THIS HELPS SOME!
      ~Bethany~

      --
      "Our similarities bring us to a common ground. Our differences allow us to be fascinated by each other."

      -Tom Robbins