Help! First graders right after their lunch and recess! Ahhh!

  • dgould82
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
      Hi all,
      I have accepted a year long sub position at a K-5 school. My
      mornings so far have been amazing... I see grades 3-5. My afternoons
      are anything but (most of the time!). I see first grade, directly
      after their lunch/ recess. (SIGH!) They're really wonderful kids,
      but with our school's schedualing, they're bouncing off the walls by
      the time they walk in. Not to mention it is right after my lunch as
      well, which I have yet to sit down and enjoy without stressing or
      prepping for my afternoon classes. I have tried meditation...
      calming music... having them put their heads down but nothing seems
      to work longer than five minutes. They are all still wound up, have
      to pee, and thirsty. They call out answers, and don't have patience
      to listen to the instructions or lesson for the day. Fortunately, the
      bathroom is right across the hall, so I let them go table by table.
      (After I've given the instruction of course.... what little I can
      give.) Once I have one table, another is totally gabbing, antsy...
      pretty much not paying attention. By the time I get everyone settled,
      I lose half of my class time. I don't have anyother such issues with
      any other grades. I've talked to their classroom teacher, and she
      has had some suggestions, but I thought I'd open this one up to all
      of you creative art-teachers! =)

      I also tried having a fun worksheet as an intro to todays lesson, but
      I could barely get their attention to explain the directions!

      By the time these guys are out the door, I'm usually frazzeled for
      the remainder of the afternoon... and the next class has to wait to
      come in. It could just be this particular class... I start our new
      rotation tomorrow. But regardless, something needs to change for all
      of us. Any suggestions you may have would be GREATLY appreciated.

      Thank you!
      Danielle
    • Shellee
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
        Danielle, I have the same problem with my elementary classes that come
        right after lunch. I have implemented a three strikes, art is over
        rule. I have three smiley faces taped on the white board. I give one
        warning about settling down after that I start removing smiley faces.
        If they lose that last one, art is over. Everyone puts their heads
        on the table and rests until class is over.... I appoint one student
        from each table to pick up supplies and put things away. The remainder
        of the students are to rest, no talking. Its tough, but it has been
        affective.

        For individual students I write name on whiteboard, first warning.
        Second offense they get a check mark and art is over for them. They
        lay their head down for the remainder of class. Third offense they
        are sent to office. Sounds tough but I have found that I need to be
        otherwise they learn nothing and their work shows it.
        Shellee
      • MaryAnn F. Kohl
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2007
          Re: [art_education] Help! First graders right after their lunch and recess! Ahhh! One idea...won’t solve it all, but this is what I would do:
          Play a clapping game to get their attention, or a Simon Says game. They’ll burn some energy and focus on you.

[...]

        • Patricia Jones Brigman
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2007
            I have the same situation.  I think they schedule the little ones late in the day since the classroom teacher has a hard time getting much work out of them following lunch.

            These methods seem to work for me--
            Ask the classroom teacher to make certain they potty and drink BEFORE coming to art.  At this age, it's like dominos falling when one asks to go and gets permission.  If the teachers gives them the time to relieve themselves, then you can just say "You should've taken care of that already, you can hold it."  Of course, if the whites of their eyes are turning yellow, send them, then remind them firmly that they should take care of that when given the opportunity!  They will figure out really quickly if you are a bathroom/drinking fountain pushover or not!

            Turn their tables into groups or teams.  I have 5 tables with 3-6 kids assigned to specific seats at each table/team and each table is marked with a color.  I can quickly say "WOW!  The green team has done a great job cleaning up their mess...everyone check it out!  Let's all give the green team a hand!"  or "Oh my...the red team is being entirely too loud.  :(  We are going to stop and wait until they are ready to calm down (or listen)."  These kids LOVE coming to art and I always remind them that when I have to make everyone stop and calm down, it is wasting THEIR time, not mine.  I'm here all day!  Usually several of my focused kids will give the obnoxious ones the evil eye (or perhaps an elbow) and it settles.  That team mentality is a great motivator and frankly is a good thing to learn and practice as they grow and mature.

            Definitely keep using the calming music...if nothing else but for your own blood pressure!

            When they have a good day, brag on them to their teacher.  Many teachers use reward systems that involve compliments from others.  Plus, these kids just love to hear themselves bragged on!  On the other hand, mention it to their teacher if they were completely uncontrollable.  She/he may also have a consequence for that.

            This is really an exciting age to introduce to so many new art forms.  They are not afraid to try new things and have yet to be tainted by worrying so much if it's "right" or not.

            Best Wishes,
            Patti

            Patti Brigman
            Art Teacher
            Walker Elementary
            Shaw Elementary

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
              I also teach K & 1st after lunch recess so I not only understand what you're going through but I have deep sympathy for you.  From my 5 years of teaching the little ones after lunch recess what little advice I can give you is this -  1)You should not be responsible for the students not getting water or going to the bathroom at recess, this is the homeroom teacher's responsibility. Ask the homeroom teacher to take the students to the bathroom before coming to the art room.   She should have her students needs taken care of before coming to Art.  2) You need to set down the rules with your students.  Kinders and 1st Graders need boundaries which means that you need to let them know that when they come to the art room that they are there to learn and have fun.  However, they cannot learn if they are not quiet, listening, and working nicely.  And no one will have fun if you have to stop art.  3) Be firm on your rules and when the first incident of misbehavior, constant bathroom requests, and chattiness occurs... STOP ART, clean up, and let the students know that this is what will happen when they don't follow the rules.  DO NOT RESTART ART because this will give them mixed signals.  Have them sit quietly and if necessary, page for their teacher to come to the class and take her class back.  Yes,  this is harsh and I have had teachers complain to me and the Principal that they've had to take their class back early BUT luckily for me I have a Principal who totally supports me.  This works for me all the time and believe me when I say that this stops most misbehaviors, chattiness, and antsiness.  The students don't want to lose art and their teachers make sure to take care of their students bathroom needs before coming to art while also reminding their students everytime to be on their best behavior.  There will always be one student who doesn't follow the rules no matter what but at least it is not the whole class anymore.

              Anyway this is what works for me... essentially, you really need to set the rules and get the homeroom teacher's support with any discipline rules that you come up with.

              Cat in Honolulu

              Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
            • likebuttaplaytoast32
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2007
                Wow, Cat, great advice. I was going to say the same things. You are
                lucky that you can have the classroom teacher come and pick them up,
                I know that wouldn't fly in my school! Which I understand, because it
                is their prep.

                I also dread most of my afternoon classes. Is it the sugar? What is
                it?!

                I find that with most kids who want to go to the bathroom and get a
                drink all the time don't always have to. With first grade though, I
                know they definitely may need to but... I tell kids to just wait a
                few minutes (I say that they need to do more on their project or
                listen to all of the instructions if I'm teaching) and sometimes, by
                the end of class... they forget to ask again. So they really didn't
                have to go that badly. Try it-- it has worked wonders for me. Or I
                have a limit- one boy and one girl at a time. And for the real
                trouble makers- I tell them that I'm timing them so they can't fool
                around in there.

                Like Cat said- be firm. With SWIFT consequences. I use yellow and red
                cards (cut from construction paper). One broken rule- I place a
                yellow card on their desk, two more- a yellow then a red card. Red
                card means a note home. I hardly ever have to give out red cards.
                Because they see the two yellow ones and they usually stop! After the
                second yellow card, I move their seat away from the rest of the
                class, too.

                Hope some of this helps!

                Karen

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Act Silly 4 Art