Arts Advocacy - Art for Our Sake (Boston Globe Article)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2007
      Dear Art Educators,

      I know I saw this posted yesterday - but can not remember which list (smile).
      Nan posted it to TAB Choice list - so that is where I may have first read it.
      Art for Our Sake
      http://www.boston.com/news/globe/ideas/articles/2007/09/02/art_for_our_sake/
      School arts classes matter more than ever - but not for the reasons you think
      By Ellen Winner and Lois Hetland

      These are the two researches who found that the arts do not
      necessarily raise test scores.....(a study done maybe two years ago?)

      "There is, however, a very good reason to teach arts in schools, and
      it's not the one that arts supporters tend to fall back on. In a
      recent study of several art classes in Boston-area schools, we found
      that arts programs teach a specific set of thinking skills rarely
      addressed elsewhere in the curriculum - and that far from being
      irrelevant in a test-driven education system, arts education is
      becoming even more important as standardized tests like the MCAS exert
      a narrowing influence over what schools teach."

      There was an article a while back in New York Times. (enter their
      names in Google - lots of stuff comes up).