Pinwheels for Peace

  • ginayac
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3 5:23 AM
      Hi Everyone,

      I hope you all are off to a great start for the school year!

      I am curious to see how you all go about making Pinwheels for Peace.
      Last year I used heavy paper and a thumb tack in a piece of dowel.
      Needless to say we used markers to decorate them and they didn't spin
      and when it rained it took all the peace away but I had a somewhat
      convincing story to explain where the peace went.

      I know the website suggests using pencils to stick in the ground but I
      do not feel comfortable asking for 375 pencils just to stick in the
      ground. I would also like to make them different heights as well. Or
      I was thinking maybe making a big board and having them spin on that.

      Any suggestions would be great. Because last year it took my husband
      and I forever to attach all of the tacks and cut all of the dowels.

      Also, let me know what kind of paper you use.

      Take care,
      Gina
      in NJ

      ps anyone going to the AENJ in October?
    • Amy Broady
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3 5:42 AM
        Gina, I Xerox my own template (a little bigger than the one offered
        on the website) onto cardstock so our pinwheels are a bit sturdier.
        We design them with crayons, colored pencils, and Sharpies so that
        they will not run.

        I cannot imagine using thumbtacks or pushpins--when I tried that with
        just one pinwheel, my own sample, last year, my 8-year-old daughter
        was carryingit around, and the tack fell out. She knelt down to look
        for it, and found it immediately--in her knee, where she had knelt
        right onto it! It was jammed in there all the way, and very paintful.
        I hated that it happened to her, though she was very tolerant and
        sweet about it, but I knew right then that tacks were not an option
        for my students. (I had been questioning them anyway.)

        I actually use jewlry findings: eyepins, a plastic bead, and an
        earring backing to attach each pinwheel to a card stock panel (folded
        carstock) which is mounted to a dowel, kind of like a funny-shaped
        lollipop. I use pliers to "twirl" the ends of the eyepin to there is
        nothing sharp sticking out.

        It took me a long time to engineer my solution. And it certainly is
        not the least expensive or most efficient construction process. But
        it worked or me--nobody got hurt; our pinwheels spun beautifully, and
        no one's fell apart.

        HTH,
        Peace be with you!
        Amy in TN
      • Sarah Palmer
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3 9:53 AM
          Regarding pinwheels, last year I too printed out the template (from the pinwheels for peace web site) and my students wrote and drew with markers.  The pinwheels were attached to colorful straws (not the bendy kind) with straight pins that went perpendicular through the top end of the straw.  The pointy ends were bent into a small spiral with jeweler's pliers.  This allowed enough "play" so the pinwheels could actually spin.  We attached ours to the top of the chain link fence around our parking lot by placing them downward through the top two links.  They were really pretty, spinning colorfully in the breeze, that is until it started to sprinkle...  Needless to say we brought in a bunch of soggy, limp paper attached to straws....

          THIS YEAR'S IMPROVEMENT!  I got a bunch of silvery film sheets and plastic rolls from a re-use place.  Thick, not flimsy.  I've cut the silver film into squares and made templates for cutting.  This way they'll stand up to our Northwest drizzle and look super great sparkling and spinning.  The straw/pin assembly will remain the same as it works really well.

          So, the bottom line is, use a durable material, unless you live in the desert!

          Sarah in Seattle

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3 9:57 AM

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 4 6:39 AM
              OOpos, I missed the post tat showed the original website for the
              pinwheel, could someone please mail it to me?
              Thank you, C-M