Old powdered tempera thanks and a question

  • Vicki Kolden
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
      Thanks for all the great suggestions for the old Tempera powder.  I guess I won't have to throw it all out.  They put boxes and boxes of the stuff in my storage room.

      I was wondering if anyone has a hand out for the first day to get to know the students better.. something like...

      What are your hobbies?

      Favorite color?

      Favorite animal?  food...etc.

       Are you interested in Joining the Art club?

      Do any of you do this at the beginning of the quarter?

      Thanks!
      Vickie  in Minnesota

    • Anna K. Ball
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
        I have a couple of things.

        1. A KWL-- what do you know about art? (k)
                         what do you want to know about art? (w)
                         and I leave the last part til the end of the semester:  what did you learn in art? (L)
        I finally remembered to hand back the KWLs last semester!!!!  I'm going to hang on to them for the 3 years they are in middle school to see what they add on every year.
        I want the questions to be completely open-ended. For example for the K If they already know you are allowed to chew gum in my class, then they write that.  If they know art is what makes the world go 'round, then they write that. I love reading what they write!

        2.  An art bingo.  I have photocopies of a bingo sheet with such questions as, Find someone who can name the primary colors.  Who has a pet dog?  Who knows Ms. Ball's first name.  etc. etc.  The kids go around the room and find other kids to sign off on each square (can only sign once though) and when someone gets a full card--bingo!  I guess they get to know each other better for this one, rather than me getting to know them.  More of an ice breaker.

        3.  I also have a questionnaire but haven't got it handy but I asked your questions and also questions such as, Why are you here?  Some kids took that to mean, why are they on the planet earth, some took it to mean in the classroom--all kinds of neat answers.
        I think I will add to my questionnaire, What is art?  Kind of like the K in the KWL

        hope this helps,

        anna in western sd
        heading into school for last minute stuff!

        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 2, 2007
          I give my students a questionnaire on the first day.  I've attached it here...feel free to adapt it to your preferences.  I find this information interesting and useful as well as a good way to learn about what my students are interested in, and since they're middle schoolers, I get the lowdown on the latest pop culture!

          Happy new school year!
          Sarah in Seattle

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 3, 2007
            I have a personal data sheet that I give out. It has the usual name, address, mom, dad, their address, e-mail, the student's schedule,  where the student went to school last year, what art classes they have taken, private art lessons? etc.
            On a more personal level, I had my students make a silhouette of themselves,( of course, I went over diminsions, helpful how to draw hints)  Then, they drew and cut out a silhouette of themselves and then collaged themselves.  This was to be all about them! (Middle School Lesson) I had magazines for them to cut out of and suggested that if they needed other words or pictures, they could print them out and bring them from home.  This took about three 50 minute periods including proportions, draawing, cutting pasting and mounting on a background.  They were nice and helped me to get to know my students.  I laminated them and put them in the hall for Open House.  I am in Arkansas.  We started school on August 20th.  Teachers went the week before.
            As for the personal data sheet, it has come in handy for writing thank you notes!, and of course it will come in handy for other less pleasant tasks.
            Becky Thornton
          • Vicki Kolden
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 6, 2007
              Hi!
              I can't remember if I thanked everyone that had ideas for powdered tempera...Thanks so much....and also thanks for the ideas on the student questionnaires for the first day.  School started for us on Tuesday of this week and it has been very busy....I just love my new artroom...and am getting to know all my new students.  I have way bigger classes than i used to have at a much smaller school but i am really loving it...

              This group is great.  Have a wonderful year everyone..

              Vickie (MN)