Re: block schedules

  • klynblink182
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 2, 2007
      Before I became an art teacher I took art at my HS for 2 years. We had
      block scheduling. Having an 80 minute art class was nice and very
      productive. We actually had time to get details on our work and make
      projects exactly how we wanted them to look. We were able to do a lot
      of ceramics and jewelry making b/c of the extra time in class.

      Kristi

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "eileenciavarella"
      <eileen.ciavarella@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      > Our school is thinking about block scheduling, 80 minute periods
      > meeting every other day. The administration is deciding whether
      > electives, such as art, should stay as a 43 minute period or be
      > extended to the 80 minute. I think I would love to have an 80 minute
      > period. What do you think? What are the pros and cons. I want to be
      > able to have some insight into the benefits and problems we might
      > incur if we move to an 80 minute period. This way I can put my two
      > cents in when decisions are being made. Thanks.
      >
      > Eileen

    • L. Deis
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
        When I was in high school, my high school had block scheduling and I absolutely loved it.
        The year was broken down into two "semesters" and each class was about 80 minutes
        long. I loved it for my art classes, but for some other classes it seemed like the class
        would never end!
        When I got to college, I was already used to the length of time per class so I wasn't one of
        the ones complaining.
        In a few months, I'll be student teaching at a high school that doesn't have block
        scheduling. I don't know how they get anything done! It seems like if they're painting, by
        the time they get their colors mixed, it's almost time to go.
        If you're in a school where students choose which classes to take, then it's great. If you're
        in a school where a lot of students enjoy art and a lot of students have the potential to
        continue their education in art, it's a great thing.

        Good luck!
        Lauren