oops, a PS to my last post

  • Julie Casebourn
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007

       By the way, Dick Blick has an awesome and very, very cheap lesson on marbleizing paper on their website under the 2006 lesson plans section.  It doesn't use powdered tempra paint, but it's worth a look.. and their recipe goes a looooong way with many classes. _

    • Barbara Davis
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
        If you have a lot of powdered tempera you can do "lawn paintings" with it.
        My colleague has a great lesson plan that explains how the kids come to
        consensus on the design, grid the design, and then mark grids with string
        and wooden stakes out on the school lawn. Kids use white sand or flour for
        white, new bags of top soil for black, and then mix, in large buckets, the
        powdered tempera with flour. The flour acts as an extender. Each student has
        to carefully sift/sprinkle the colrants within the square or squares they
        are assigned. Each has a color copy of the original gridded off to refer to.
        My colleagie has done this several times, and we even did it on the lawn of
        the hotel at the Florida Art Ed conference a few years ago as a part of a
        three-hour session. We have all the info on a CD and we are trying to get
        our tech folks caught up to put it on our school website. When we get it
        (and several other lessons from the CD) up on the website I'll send an emil
        to the list with the link.

        In the meantime, don't throw away the tempera. It is still usable for its
        original intent as well as other projects like lawn painting. At the very
        least, if you must get rid of it, pass it on to another teacher.

        Barbara
      • Terri Noell
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
          I mixed mine with beach sand and use it for all my students' sand
          art/painting progects...works great!
          Terri
          k-5 Florida

          >From: "Vicki Kolden" <vickolden@...>
          >To: <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: [art_education] Old powdered tempera
          >Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:16:42 -0500
          >
          >Hello Everyone!!!
          >
          >I have been working in my new Art classroom and feeling very thankful for
          >my new job. I am starting my 20th year as an art teacher and I feel like a
          >first year teacher again...It is a bigger school than I am used to....with
          >bigger classes than I am used to and I am a little nervous about it... No
          >more commuting...YES!!! and a dream art room. I am very thankful. I
          >have been working in my room and getting things ready for the 2007-2008
          >school year....I have a question. Someone has been cleaning out some old
          >art supplies from some storage closet shared with the custodians and some
          >other teachers and brought me several boxes of old...old...powdered tempera
          >paint...I really don't want to use it anymore...I am not sure but I think
          >some of it may have been here since 1971 when I was a seventh grader here.
          > he he he I would like to throw it but I was just wondering is there any
          >use for the stuff anymore??? I think the safety/osha people don't want
          >us to be using powdered stuff much anymore....Does anyone know...???
          >
          >thanks,
          >Vickie in Minnesota

          Test your celebrity IQ.� Play Red Carpet Reveal and earn great prizes!
          http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2
        • Paige Conn
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
            I look forward to the follow up information on the Lawn Painting!

            Paige