Re: [art_education] Re: block schedules

  • Judith Stenger
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
      This is my third year in a block schedule school ( thirty plus years of teaching), and I really love it.  We alternate days, except the kids have math every day.  We will be looking at some alternatives--such as 45 minutes of math per day instead of 90.
      I did expect the kids to get more accomplished than they do.  They seem to be pretty relaxed.  There are fewer hall problems, and more time for Artful Thinking and  discussion.
            I didn't think I;d like it, but it would be tough for me to go back to 45 minute art classes.

      On Sep 1, 2007, at 1:59 PM, al haskvitz wrote:

      Block scheduling has never been proven to be of value to core classes except in math. There is a lot of research on the Internet to this effect.

      In art it works fine if, and this is a big if, the students have enough resources. As well, you don't see them everyday and so if they are absent one day a week you might just see them one day that week.

      Block scheduling, the new math, open concept schools..... all have some value, but you need to do your homework before taking such a stance especially with the short attention span of students.

      Alan Haskvitz

      If you need more resources, just click
      http://www.reacheve rychild.com

      Peace and Grace
      Judy

    • klynblink182
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 2, 2007
        Before I became an art teacher I took art at my HS for 2 years. We had
        block scheduling. Having an 80 minute art class was nice and very
        productive. We actually had time to get details on our work and make
        projects exactly how we wanted them to look. We were able to do a lot
        of ceramics and jewelry making b/c of the extra time in class.

        Kristi

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "eileenciavarella"
        <eileen.ciavarella@...> wrote:

        > Hello everyone,
        > Our school is thinking about block scheduling, 80 minute periods
        > meeting every other day. The administration is deciding whether
        > electives, such as art, should stay as a 43 minute period or be
        > extended to the 80 minute. I think I would love to have an 80 minute
        > period. What do you think? What are the pros and cons. I want to be
        > able to have some insight into the benefits and problems we might
        > incur if we move to an 80 minute period. This way I can put my two
        > cents in when decisions are being made. Thanks.
        >
        > Eileen

      • L. Deis
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
          When I was in high school, my high school had block scheduling and I absolutely loved it.
          The year was broken down into two "semesters" and each class was about 80 minutes
          long. I loved it for my art classes, but for some other classes it seemed like the class
          would never end!
          When I got to college, I was already used to the length of time per class so I wasn't one of
          the ones complaining.
          In a few months, I'll be student teaching at a high school that doesn't have block
          scheduling. I don't know how they get anything done! It seems like if they're painting, by
          the time they get their colors mixed, it's almost time to go.
          If you're in a school where students choose which classes to take, then it's great. If you're
          in a school where a lot of students enjoy art and a lot of students have the potential to
          continue their education in art, it's a great thing.

          Good luck!
          Lauren