RE: [art_education] Old powdered tempera

  • cen_aca_dp
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
      Here is something I have done with the stuff. :)

      Submitted by Denise Pannell, Defiance
      Lesson: Impasto Painting - Van Gogh

      "Pudding" Paint - for Impasto - from the book "Art Fun!" by Kim Solga

      Mix 5 cups water, 2 cups white flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 3 Tablespoons salt.
      Pour into saucepan and cook over medium heat until thick and bubbling (about 7
      minutes) Cool well. This can be stored in the refrigerator in covered
      containers for several weeks. Spoon cooled "pudding" into containers and mix
      with 1/8 to 1/4 cup powdered or liquid tempera paint.

      Use a craft stick or palette knife to apply. Use heavy tagboard or cardboard,
      as it will curl. Maybe try on corrugated cardboard (recycled) for extra
      strength.

      Denise Pannell

      Apache Kids'Art now online!

      http://natepannell.memory-of.com/
      "There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart. Ghandi"
    • wanda smith
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
        I mix the powder tempera in a blender, keeps down the dust and does a
        good job of mixing. I use it if I run out of a certain color during
        the school year. I made the mistake, as a new teacher, many years ago
        thinking I could save money by purchasing the powder boy was I every
        wrong. I still have jars of the stuff on hand. It does come in hand
        in a pinch. Wanda

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki Kolden" <vickolden@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Everyone!!!
        >
        > I have been working in my new Art classroom and feeling very
        thankful for my new job. I am starting my 20th year as an art
        teacher and I feel like a first year teacher again...It is a bigger
        school than I am used to....with bigger classes than I am used to and
        I am a little nervous about it... No more commuting...YES!!! and a
        dream art room. I am very thankful. I have been working in my room
        and getting things ready for the 2007-2008 school year....I have a
        question. Someone has been cleaning out some old art supplies from
        some storage closet shared with the custodians and some other
        teachers and brought me several boxes of old...old...powdered tempera
        paint...I really don't want to use it anymore...I am not sure but I
        think some of it may have been here since 1971 when I was a seventh
        grader here. he he he I would like to throw it but I was just
        wondering is there any use for the stuff anymore??? I think the
        safety/osha people don't want us to be using powdered stuff much
        anymore....Does anyone know...???

        > thanks,
        > Vickie in Minnesota

      • MaryAnn F. Kohl
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
          Re: [art_education] Re: Old powdered tempera I use it to make easy fingerpaint... Plop a puddle of liquid starch on a tabletop, plop some tempera powder on that, and let the kids paint with fingers right on the table. Then makes prints of the fingerpainting. Next kid, same paint, add a little more starch or water.

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , "Vicki Kolden" <vickolden@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello Everyone!!!
          >
          > I have been working in  my new  Art classroom and feeling very
          thankful for my new job.  I am starting my 20th year as an art
          teacher and I feel like a first year teacher again...It is a bigger
          school than I am used to....with bigger classes than I am used to and
          I am a little nervous about it... No more commuting...YES!!!   and a
          dream art room.  I am very thankful.  I have been working in my room
          and getting things ready for the 2007-2008 school year....I have a
          question.  Someone has been cleaning out some old art supplies from
          some storage closet shared with the custodians and some other
          teachers and brought me several boxes of old...old...powdered tempera
          paint...I really don't want to use it anymore...I am not sure but I
          think some of it may have been here since 1971 when I was a seventh
          grader  here.  he he he  I would like to throw it but I was just
          wondering is there any use for the stuff anymore???   I think the
          safety/osha people don't want  us to be using powdered stuff much
          anymore....Does anyone know...???

          > thanks,
          > Vickie in Minnesota

        • Julie Casebourn
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
            I have used powdered tempra to create what I'll call... the poor man's marbleized paper... hahaha.. or the frugal art teacher's marbleized paper??? Of course if you google marbliezed paper you will get some great info. and many different methods on how to do it.. some expensive and some using just what you have in your kitchen or classroom.

            Since you have an abundance of the powdered tempra you can prepare the bin or tub of water by adding a few drop of liquid dish soap and whisk it in and let the air bubbles settle.  Sprinkle different colors of the tempra powder gently on top of the surface of the water and stir gently with a hair pick, stick, feather.. the point is to swirl the colors into interesting patterns without mixing the colors into a muddy mess or sink them.  The powdered paint should float.  Quickly/gently drop a level white sheet of paper onto the surface and peel off quickly.  Voila!!

            I saw this done with colored chalk shavings at an art ed. conference and thought that I could use the powdered tempra I too, had inherited.  Just make sure the tempra is finely ground up.. have a few flour sifters on hand... works like a charm.
            Julie

            Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

          • Julie Casebourn
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007

               By the way, Dick Blick has an awesome and very, very cheap lesson on marbleizing paper on their website under the 2006 lesson plans section.  It doesn't use powdered tempra paint, but it's worth a look.. and their recipe goes a looooong way with many classes. _

            • Barbara Davis
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                If you have a lot of powdered tempera you can do "lawn paintings" with it.
                My colleague has a great lesson plan that explains how the kids come to
                consensus on the design, grid the design, and then mark grids with string
                and wooden stakes out on the school lawn. Kids use white sand or flour for
                white, new bags of top soil for black, and then mix, in large buckets, the
                powdered tempera with flour. The flour acts as an extender. Each student has
                to carefully sift/sprinkle the colrants within the square or squares they
                are assigned. Each has a color copy of the original gridded off to refer to.
                My colleagie has done this several times, and we even did it on the lawn of
                the hotel at the Florida Art Ed conference a few years ago as a part of a
                three-hour session. We have all the info on a CD and we are trying to get
                our tech folks caught up to put it on our school website. When we get it
                (and several other lessons from the CD) up on the website I'll send an emil
                to the list with the link.

                In the meantime, don't throw away the tempera. It is still usable for its
                original intent as well as other projects like lawn painting. At the very
                least, if you must get rid of it, pass it on to another teacher.

                Barbara
              • Terri Noell
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                  I mixed mine with beach sand and use it for all my students' sand
                  art/painting progects...works great!
                  Terri
                  k-5 Florida

                  >From: "Vicki Kolden" <vickolden@...>
                  >To: <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: [art_education] Old powdered tempera
                  >Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:16:42 -0500
                  >
                  >Hello Everyone!!!
                  >
                  >I have been working in my new Art classroom and feeling very thankful for
                  >my new job. I am starting my 20th year as an art teacher and I feel like a
                  >first year teacher again...It is a bigger school than I am used to....with
                  >bigger classes than I am used to and I am a little nervous about it... No
                  >more commuting...YES!!! and a dream art room. I am very thankful. I
                  >have been working in my room and getting things ready for the 2007-2008
                  >school year....I have a question. Someone has been cleaning out some old
                  >art supplies from some storage closet shared with the custodians and some
                  >other teachers and brought me several boxes of old...old...powdered tempera
                  >paint...I really don't want to use it anymore...I am not sure but I think
                  >some of it may have been here since 1971 when I was a seventh grader here.
                  > he he he I would like to throw it but I was just wondering is there any
                  >use for the stuff anymore??? I think the safety/osha people don't want
                  >us to be using powdered stuff much anymore....Does anyone know...???
                  >
                  >thanks,
                  >Vickie in Minnesota

                  Test your celebrity IQ.� Play Red Carpet Reveal and earn great prizes!
                  http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2
                • Paige Conn
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
                    I look forward to the follow up information on the Lawn Painting!

                    Paige