Re: block schedules

  • pent19
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
      My last few years during my high school experience, our school tested
      out block scheduling , by doing a part time block. Classes like gym,
      art, music, science etc, were 80 minutes every other day. While
      classes like english, math, social studies were 40 minutes every day.
      Lunches were 20 minutes during the 3rd block. As a teacher now this
      could have been a scheduling nightmare, but I believe all the
      departments had the same block, or half block off. I don't know if the
      school switched to full block scheduling or not, but I think this was
      a great way to give those who needed the extra time (one less cleanup
      for the art teachers) vs. those who need to see students everyday to
      help retain info. I think a con as an art teacher would be drying
      times with projects, vacations and snow days (from upstate ny!). If we
      were working on a clay project, had a snow day which gave us an extra
      long weekend those projects could turn dry out, of course there are
      solutions, but this is the first con i thought of. Plus, students
      making up work could be a pain, out on monday, comes to school on
      wednesday, behind 80 minutes now!
      Michele

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "eileenciavarella"
      <eileen.ciavarella@...> wrote:

      > Hello everyone,
      > Our school is thinking about block scheduling, 80 minute periods
      > meeting every other day. The administration is deciding whether
      > electives, such as art, should stay as a 43 minute period or be
      > extended to the 80 minute. I think I would love to have an 80 minute
      > period. What do you think? What are the pros and cons. I want to be
      > able to have some insight into the benefits and problems we might
      > incur if we move to an 80 minute period. This way I can put my two
      > cents in when decisions are being made. Thanks.
      >
      > Eileen

    • al haskvitz
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
        Block scheduling has never been proven to be of value to core classes except in math. There is a lot of research on the Internet to this effect.

        In art it works fine if, and this is a big if, the students have enough resources. As well, you don't see them everyday and so if they are absent one day a week you might just see them one day that week.

        Block scheduling, the new math, open concept schools.....all have some value, but you need to do your homework before taking such a stance especially with the short attention span of students.

        Alan Haskvitz

        If you need more resources, just click
        http://www.reacheverychild.com
      • reen shannon

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
            This is my third year in a block schedule school ( thirty plus years of teaching), and I really love it.  We alternate days, except the kids have math every day.  We will be looking at some alternatives--such as 45 minutes of math per day instead of 90.
            I did expect the kids to get more accomplished than they do.  They seem to be pretty relaxed.  There are fewer hall problems, and more time for Artful Thinking and  discussion.
                  I didn't think I;d like it, but it would be tough for me to go back to 45 minute art classes.

            On Sep 1, 2007, at 1:59 PM, al haskvitz wrote:

            Block scheduling has never been proven to be of value to core classes except in math. There is a lot of research on the Internet to this effect.

            In art it works fine if, and this is a big if, the students have enough resources. As well, you don't see them everyday and so if they are absent one day a week you might just see them one day that week.

            Block scheduling, the new math, open concept schools..... all have some value, but you need to do your homework before taking such a stance especially with the short attention span of students.

            Alan Haskvitz

            If you need more resources, just click
            http://www.reacheve rychild.com

            Peace and Grace
            Judy

          • klynblink182
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 2, 2007
              Before I became an art teacher I took art at my HS for 2 years. We had
              block scheduling. Having an 80 minute art class was nice and very
              productive. We actually had time to get details on our work and make
              projects exactly how we wanted them to look. We were able to do a lot
              of ceramics and jewelry making b/c of the extra time in class.

              Kristi

              <eileen.ciavarella@...> wrote:

              > Hello everyone,
              > Our school is thinking about block scheduling, 80 minute periods
              > meeting every other day. The administration is deciding whether
              > electives, such as art, should stay as a 43 minute period or be
              > extended to the 80 minute. I think I would love to have an 80 minute
              > period. What do you think? What are the pros and cons. I want to be
              > able to have some insight into the benefits and problems we might
              > incur if we move to an 80 minute period. This way I can put my two
              > cents in when decisions are being made. Thanks.
              >
              > Eileen

            • L. Deis
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
                When I was in high school, my high school had block scheduling and I absolutely loved it.
                The year was broken down into two "semesters" and each class was about 80 minutes
                long. I loved it for my art classes, but for some other classes it seemed like the class
                would never end!
                When I got to college, I was already used to the length of time per class so I wasn't one of
                the ones complaining.
                In a few months, I'll be student teaching at a high school that doesn't have block
                scheduling. I don't know how they get anything done! It seems like if they're painting, by
                the time they get their colors mixed, it's almost time to go.
                If you're in a school where students choose which classes to take, then it's great. If you're
                in a school where a lot of students enjoy art and a lot of students have the potential to
                continue their education in art, it's a great thing.

                Good luck!
                Lauren