Re: [art_education] Old powdered tempera

  • Norma Stepp
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
      Hi Vicki
      I use powdered tempra which my kindies when I am taching secondary colors.  I sprinkle a little of each color and give them and Ice cube and we discover what happen when you mix the two colors together.  Of course this is after much talk and work with the primary colors in different medias.Just and Idea and it does not take much of the powdered stuff to do this with them so depending on how much you have you may have enough to last a life time  :)
      Norma in OH

      Vicki Kolden <vickolden@...> wrote:
      Hello Everyone!!!

      I have been working in  my new  Art classroom and feeling very thankful for my new job.  I am starting my 20th year as an art teacher and I feel like a first year teacher again...It is a bigger school than I am used to....with bigger classes than I am used to and I am a little nervous about it... No more commuting... YES!!!   and a dream art room.  I am very thankful.  I have been working in my room and getting things ready for the 2007-2008 school year....I have a question.  Someone has been cleaning out some old art supplies from some storage closet shared with the custodians and some other teachers and brought me several boxes of old...old... powdered tempera paint...I really don't want to use it anymore...I am not sure but I think some of it may have been here since 1971 when I was a seventh grader  here.  he he he  I would like to throw it but I was just wondering is there any use for the stuff anymore???   I think the safety/osha people don't want  us to be using powdered stuff much anymore....Does anyone know...???

      thanks,
      Vickie in Minnesota

      Live today like it is your last...for we are not promised tomorrow!

      Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.

    • cen_aca_dp
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
        Here is something I have done with the stuff. :)

        Submitted by Denise Pannell, Defiance
        Lesson: Impasto Painting - Van Gogh

        "Pudding" Paint - for Impasto - from the book "Art Fun!" by Kim Solga

        Mix 5 cups water, 2 cups white flour, 1/2 cup sugar, and 3 Tablespoons salt.
        Pour into saucepan and cook over medium heat until thick and bubbling (about 7
        minutes) Cool well. This can be stored in the refrigerator in covered
        containers for several weeks. Spoon cooled "pudding" into containers and mix
        with 1/8 to 1/4 cup powdered or liquid tempera paint.

        Use a craft stick or palette knife to apply. Use heavy tagboard or cardboard,
        as it will curl. Maybe try on corrugated cardboard (recycled) for extra
        strength.

        Denise Pannell

        Apache Kids'Art now online!

        http://natepannell.memory-of.com/
        "There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart. Ghandi"
      • wanda smith
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
          I mix the powder tempera in a blender, keeps down the dust and does a
          good job of mixing. I use it if I run out of a certain color during
          the school year. I made the mistake, as a new teacher, many years ago
          thinking I could save money by purchasing the powder boy was I every
          wrong. I still have jars of the stuff on hand. It does come in hand
          in a pinch. Wanda

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Vicki Kolden" <vickolden@...>
          wrote:

          > Hello Everyone!!!
          >
          > I have been working in my new Art classroom and feeling very
          thankful for my new job. I am starting my 20th year as an art
          teacher and I feel like a first year teacher again...It is a bigger
          school than I am used to....with bigger classes than I am used to and
          I am a little nervous about it... No more commuting...YES!!! and a
          dream art room. I am very thankful. I have been working in my room
          and getting things ready for the 2007-2008 school year....I have a
          question. Someone has been cleaning out some old art supplies from
          some storage closet shared with the custodians and some other
          teachers and brought me several boxes of old...old...powdered tempera
          paint...I really don't want to use it anymore...I am not sure but I
          think some of it may have been here since 1971 when I was a seventh
          grader here. he he he I would like to throw it but I was just
          wondering is there any use for the stuff anymore??? I think the
          safety/osha people don't want us to be using powdered stuff much
          anymore....Does anyone know...???

          > thanks,
          > Vickie in Minnesota

        • MaryAnn F. Kohl
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
            Re: [art_education] Re: Old powdered tempera I use it to make easy fingerpaint... Plop a puddle of liquid starch on a tabletop, plop some tempera powder on that, and let the kids paint with fingers right on the table. Then makes prints of the fingerpainting. Next kid, same paint, add a little more starch or water.

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com <mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com> , "Vicki Kolden" <vickolden@...>
            wrote:

            > Hello Everyone!!!
            >
            > I have been working in  my new  Art classroom and feeling very
            thankful for my new job.  I am starting my 20th year as an art
            teacher and I feel like a first year teacher again...It is a bigger
            school than I am used to....with bigger classes than I am used to and
            I am a little nervous about it... No more commuting...YES!!!   and a
            dream art room.  I am very thankful.  I have been working in my room
            and getting things ready for the 2007-2008 school year....I have a
            question.  Someone has been cleaning out some old art supplies from
            some storage closet shared with the custodians and some other
            teachers and brought me several boxes of old...old...powdered tempera
            paint...I really don't want to use it anymore...I am not sure but I
            think some of it may have been here since 1971 when I was a seventh
            grader  here.  he he he  I would like to throw it but I was just
            wondering is there any use for the stuff anymore???   I think the
            safety/osha people don't want  us to be using powdered stuff much
            anymore....Does anyone know...???

            > thanks,
            > Vickie in Minnesota

          • Julie Casebourn
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007
              I have used powdered tempra to create what I'll call... the poor man's marbleized paper... hahaha.. or the frugal art teacher's marbleized paper??? Of course if you google marbliezed paper you will get some great info. and many different methods on how to do it.. some expensive and some using just what you have in your kitchen or classroom.

              Since you have an abundance of the powdered tempra you can prepare the bin or tub of water by adding a few drop of liquid dish soap and whisk it in and let the air bubbles settle.  Sprinkle different colors of the tempra powder gently on top of the surface of the water and stir gently with a hair pick, stick, feather.. the point is to swirl the colors into interesting patterns without mixing the colors into a muddy mess or sink them.  The powdered paint should float.  Quickly/gently drop a level white sheet of paper onto the surface and peel off quickly.  Voila!!

              I saw this done with colored chalk shavings at an art ed. conference and thought that I could use the powdered tempra I too, had inherited.  Just make sure the tempra is finely ground up.. have a few flour sifters on hand... works like a charm.
              Julie

              Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

            • Julie Casebourn
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 1, 2007

                 By the way, Dick Blick has an awesome and very, very cheap lesson on marbleizing paper on their website under the 2006 lesson plans section.  It doesn't use powdered tempra paint, but it's worth a look.. and their recipe goes a looooong way with many classes. _

              • Barbara Davis
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                  If you have a lot of powdered tempera you can do "lawn paintings" with it.
                  My colleague has a great lesson plan that explains how the kids come to
                  consensus on the design, grid the design, and then mark grids with string
                  and wooden stakes out on the school lawn. Kids use white sand or flour for
                  white, new bags of top soil for black, and then mix, in large buckets, the
                  powdered tempera with flour. The flour acts as an extender. Each student has
                  to carefully sift/sprinkle the colrants within the square or squares they
                  are assigned. Each has a color copy of the original gridded off to refer to.
                  My colleagie has done this several times, and we even did it on the lawn of
                  the hotel at the Florida Art Ed conference a few years ago as a part of a
                  three-hour session. We have all the info on a CD and we are trying to get
                  our tech folks caught up to put it on our school website. When we get it
                  (and several other lessons from the CD) up on the website I'll send an emil
                  to the list with the link.

                  In the meantime, don't throw away the tempera. It is still usable for its
                  original intent as well as other projects like lawn painting. At the very
                  least, if you must get rid of it, pass it on to another teacher.

                  Barbara
                • Terri Noell
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 2, 2007
                    I mixed mine with beach sand and use it for all my students' sand
                    art/painting progects...works great!
                    Terri
                    k-5 Florida

                    >From: "Vicki Kolden" <vickolden@...>
                    >To: <art_education@yahoogroups.com>
                    >Subject: [art_education] Old powdered tempera
                    >Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:16:42 -0500
                    >
                    >Hello Everyone!!!
                    >
                    >I have been working in my new Art classroom and feeling very thankful for
                    >my new job. I am starting my 20th year as an art teacher and I feel like a
                    >first year teacher again...It is a bigger school than I am used to....with
                    >bigger classes than I am used to and I am a little nervous about it... No
                    >more commuting...YES!!! and a dream art room. I am very thankful. I
                    >have been working in my room and getting things ready for the 2007-2008
                    >school year....I have a question. Someone has been cleaning out some old
                    >art supplies from some storage closet shared with the custodians and some
                    >other teachers and brought me several boxes of old...old...powdered tempera
                    >paint...I really don't want to use it anymore...I am not sure but I think
                    >some of it may have been here since 1971 when I was a seventh grader here.
                    > he he he I would like to throw it but I was just wondering is there any
                    >use for the stuff anymore??? I think the safety/osha people don't want
                    >us to be using powdered stuff much anymore....Does anyone know...???
                    >
                    >thanks,
                    >Vickie in Minnesota

                    Test your celebrity IQ.� Play Red Carpet Reveal and earn great prizes!
                    http://club.live.com/red_carpet_reveal.aspx?icid=redcarpet_hotmailtextlink2
                  • Paige Conn
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 4, 2007
                      I look forward to the follow up information on the Lawn Painting!

                      Paige