Re: [art_education] index cards

  • Lauren in Vegas
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2007
      Flip Books! I give the students about 60 cards each, and the we
      rubber band them.

      --
      Lauren in Vegas
    • Wanda Smith
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
        How about a small sketch or technique practice book? Use the  Japanese binding technique, http://www.sdmart.org/pix/japanesebook.pdf. They could use their own theme or you could assign one, such as an artistic style. I might use this idea myself this year with my Art 1 students. Wanda
      • pent19
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
          You could make an art game . Match a picture of complementary colors
          to the term. or definition to term, artists artwork to the artists
          name, as a way to review. I also use index cards (if they aren't
          lined) to mount small examples of artwork I get from bargain books at
          bookstores and magazines. Then I can pass these out to groups to have
          them hold and investigate an artwork up close. You could also have
          students learn how to make boxes using the index cards.
          Michele ny
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:

          > We have to place orders from our Educational Service District in
          January. Well they came in today. Thinking I was ordering 4 packets
          each of 3 x 5 and 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have
          8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things, viewfinders, but I am
          feeling a little brain dead about what else they might come in handy
          for or some creative use.

          > any ideas appreciated ;-)
          > creatively, Linda in Oregon

        • linda mcconaughy
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
            This sounds like a fun challenge to pose to your students!

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:

            > We have to place orders from our Educational Service District in
            January. Well they came in today. Thinking I was ordering 4 packets
            each of 3 x 5 and 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have
            8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things, viewfinders, but I am
            feeling a little brain dead about what else they might come in handy
            for or some creative use.

            > any ideas appreciated ;-)
            > creatively, Linda in Oregon

          • Victoria Patterson
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
              I fold them (or have the kiddos do it) in half horizontally with the plain side out. The first day of school, or first class, students put their name on them...big, bright colorful, READABLE .  They then go in an envelope in their table folder, and are brought out every class as "Table Tents" or nametags. Even though I have seating charts, it's great to help learn names of new students, and a big help to substitutes.

              linda mcconaughy <lmcconaughy@...> wrote:
              This sounds like a fun challenge to pose to your students!

              --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:

              > We have to place orders from our Educational Service District in
              January. Well they came in today. Thinking I was ordering 4 packets
              each of 3 x 5 and 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have
              8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things, viewfinders, but I am
              feeling a little brain dead about what else they might come in handy
              for or some creative use.

              > any ideas appreciated ;-)
              > creatively, Linda in Oregon

              Got a little couch potato?

            • Anna K. Ball
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
                Use them for making tesselation templates ala jim mcneill.  see http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/mcneill.htm

                He has a GREAT video.

                anna in sd
                needing to change the fish water

                linda mcconaughy <lmcconaughy@ bcps.org> wrote:

                This sounds like a fun challenge to pose to your students!

                --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:

                > We have to place orders from our Educational Service District in
                January. Well they came in today. Thinking I was ordering 4 packets
                each of 3 x 5 and 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have
                8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things, viewfinders, but I am
                feeling a little brain dead about what else they might come in handy
                for or some creative use.

                > any ideas appreciated ;-)
                > creatively, Linda in Oregon

                Got a little couch potato?

              • Brandy
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 2, 2007
                  -To help the students paint a mural, by adding MANY many together
                  after the students have coloreded on them. As long as the design is
                  on the card before they color it (paint, pencil, crayon) it won't
                  matter, and the end design will show the style and personality of the
                  individual while creating a single, larger work of art. Hmmm.. I
                  might try this for our library exhibit because I can never get all the
                  kids to give me a work of art to hang there :)
                  what fun possibilities!
                  Regards
                  Brandy

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:
                  I ordered 4 boxes and now have 8000 cards!!!!
                  > any ideas appreciated ;-)
                  > creatively, Linda in Oregon

                • Kelli Wilke
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 3, 2007
                    Linda,
                    My kids make their own postcards using index cards.  I give them a specific theme depending on the class and then they draw thumbnail sketches and then do the final drawing on their "postcard".  I use the back to write a note home to their parents and I send it home in the mail.  Most kids get a kick out of getting their own postcard in the mail.  I've even had a student tell me that their postcard got them out of being grounded because it had positive comments on it.  :)  It's been a big hit.

                    Kelli in NE

                    "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:
                    We have to place orders from our Educational Service District in January. Well they came in today. Thinking I was ordering 4 packets each of 3 x 5 and 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have 8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things, viewfinders, but I am feeling a little brain dead about what else they might come in handy for or some creative use.

                    any ideas appreciated ;-)
                    creatively, Linda in Oregon

                    Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!