index cards

  • go4art@juno.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2007
      We have to place orders from our Educational Service District in January. Well they came in today. Thinking I was ordering 4 packets each of 3 x 5 and 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have 8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things, viewfinders, but I am feeling a little brain dead about what else they might come in handy for or some creative use.

      any ideas appreciated ;-)
      creatively, Linda in Oregon
    • Jeff Pridie
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 31, 2007
        Linda,

        3D house of cards scultures. If students like making
        house of cards out of playing cards then these should
        work well to. They can decorate them before building
        them with structural textures. To make them stand
        better they may slot them to hold them together.

        Use them to create different edges: zigzags, curves,
        points, etc. to make scrapers for painting. I use
        cardboard but the index cards are made of poster board
        grade paper so that might work to. I do this with
        elementary and high school students. They put a layer
        of paint down and use the scrapers to create different
        lines and textures.

        Hinge them together to make small miniture books.
        Accordian books. They could create a book about the
        elements and principles of design or about different
        drawing, painting, sculptural techniques. They could
        make a mini book about an art style or artist.

        Put several together to make flip books. Primative
        animation process. The index cards would be great for
        that.

        Just a few suggestions.

        Jeff (Minnesota)
        --- "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:

        > We have to place orders from our Educational Service
        > District in January. Well they came in today.
        > Thinking I was ordering 4 packets each of 3 x 5 and
        > 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have
        > 8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things,
        > viewfinders, but I am feeling a little brain dead
        > about what else they might come in handy for or some
        > creative use.
        >
        > any ideas appreciated ;-)
        > creatively, Linda in Oregon

      • Lenny Sanz
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 31, 2007
          I don't know what grades you teach but in middle school,
          i use index cards for flip books that create moving images.
          Just stagger about 6 cards (stapled on one side) that have drawings on
          them that change
          from card to card, sequentially. For example, a bird flying across the
          sky.
          When you flip the edge with your thumb, the images move.

          On Friday, August 31, 2007, at 08:00 PM, go4art@... wrote:

          > We have to place orders from our Educational Service District in
          > January. Well they came in today. Thinking I was ordering 4 packets
          > each of 3 x 5 and 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have
          > 8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things, viewfinders, but I am
          > feeling a little brain dead about what else they might come in handy
          > for or some creative use.
          >
          > any ideas appreciated ;-)
          > creatively, Linda in Oregon

        • Lauren in Vegas
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 31, 2007
            Flip Books! I give the students about 60 cards each, and the we
            rubber band them.

            --
            Lauren in Vegas
          • Wanda Smith
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
              How about a small sketch or technique practice book? Use the  Japanese binding technique, http://www.sdmart.org/pix/japanesebook.pdf. They could use their own theme or you could assign one, such as an artistic style. I might use this idea myself this year with my Art 1 students. Wanda
            • pent19
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
                You could make an art game . Match a picture of complementary colors
                to the term. or definition to term, artists artwork to the artists
                name, as a way to review. I also use index cards (if they aren't
                lined) to mount small examples of artwork I get from bargain books at
                bookstores and magazines. Then I can pass these out to groups to have
                them hold and investigate an artwork up close. You could also have
                students learn how to make boxes using the index cards.
                Michele ny
                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:

                > We have to place orders from our Educational Service District in
                January. Well they came in today. Thinking I was ordering 4 packets
                each of 3 x 5 and 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have
                8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things, viewfinders, but I am
                feeling a little brain dead about what else they might come in handy
                for or some creative use.

                > any ideas appreciated ;-)
                > creatively, Linda in Oregon

              • linda mcconaughy
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
                  This sounds like a fun challenge to pose to your students!

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:

                  > We have to place orders from our Educational Service District in
                  January. Well they came in today. Thinking I was ordering 4 packets
                  each of 3 x 5 and 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have
                  8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things, viewfinders, but I am
                  feeling a little brain dead about what else they might come in handy
                  for or some creative use.

                  > any ideas appreciated ;-)
                  > creatively, Linda in Oregon

                • Victoria Patterson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
                    I fold them (or have the kiddos do it) in half horizontally with the plain side out. The first day of school, or first class, students put their name on them...big, bright colorful, READABLE .  They then go in an envelope in their table folder, and are brought out every class as "Table Tents" or nametags. Even though I have seating charts, it's great to help learn names of new students, and a big help to substitutes.

                    linda mcconaughy <lmcconaughy@...> wrote:
                    This sounds like a fun challenge to pose to your students!

                    --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:

                    > We have to place orders from our Educational Service District in
                    January. Well they came in today. Thinking I was ordering 4 packets
                    each of 3 x 5 and 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have
                    8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things, viewfinders, but I am
                    feeling a little brain dead about what else they might come in handy
                    for or some creative use.

                    > any ideas appreciated ;-)
                    > creatively, Linda in Oregon

                    Got a little couch potato?

                  • Anna K. Ball
                    Message 9 of 11 , Sep 1, 2007
                      Use them for making tesselation templates ala jim mcneill.  see http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/mcneill.htm

                      He has a GREAT video.

                      anna in sd
                      needing to change the fish water

                      linda mcconaughy <lmcconaughy@ bcps.org> wrote:

                      This sounds like a fun challenge to pose to your students!

                      --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:

                      > We have to place orders from our Educational Service District in
                      January. Well they came in today. Thinking I was ordering 4 packets
                      each of 3 x 5 and 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have
                      8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things, viewfinders, but I am
                      feeling a little brain dead about what else they might come in handy
                      for or some creative use.

                      > any ideas appreciated ;-)
                      > creatively, Linda in Oregon

                      Got a little couch potato?

                    • Brandy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Sep 2, 2007
                        -To help the students paint a mural, by adding MANY many together
                        after the students have coloreded on them. As long as the design is
                        on the card before they color it (paint, pencil, crayon) it won't
                        matter, and the end design will show the style and personality of the
                        individual while creating a single, larger work of art. Hmmm.. I
                        might try this for our library exhibit because I can never get all the
                        kids to give me a work of art to hang there :)
                        what fun possibilities!
                        Regards
                        Brandy

                        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:
                        I ordered 4 boxes and now have 8000 cards!!!!
                        > any ideas appreciated ;-)
                        > creatively, Linda in Oregon

                      • Kelli Wilke
                        Message 11 of 11 , Sep 3, 2007
                          Linda,
                          My kids make their own postcards using index cards.  I give them a specific theme depending on the class and then they draw thumbnail sketches and then do the final drawing on their "postcard".  I use the back to write a note home to their parents and I send it home in the mail.  Most kids get a kick out of getting their own postcard in the mail.  I've even had a student tell me that their postcard got them out of being grounded because it had positive comments on it.  :)  It's been a big hit.

                          Kelli in NE

                          "go4art@..." <go4art@...> wrote:
                          We have to place orders from our Educational Service District in January. Well they came in today. Thinking I was ordering 4 packets each of 3 x 5 and 4 x 6 index cards, I ordered 4 boxes and now have 8000 !!!! We use them for, among other things, viewfinders, but I am feeling a little brain dead about what else they might come in handy for or some creative use.

                          any ideas appreciated ;-)
                          creatively, Linda in Oregon

                          Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!