block schedules

  • eileenciavarella
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2007
      Hello everyone,
      Our school is thinking about block scheduling, 80 minute periods
      meeting every other day. The administration is deciding whether
      electives, such as art, should stay as a 43 minute period or be
      extended to the 80 minute. I think I would love to have an 80 minute
      period. What do you think? What are the pros and cons. I want to be
      able to have some insight into the benefits and problems we might
      incur if we move to an 80 minute period. This way I can put my two
      cents in when decisions are being made. Thanks.

      Eileen
    • jibundy@insightbb.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2007
        We had Block for several years.  It was great for art classes. And the prep period we had each day was 72 min. It was great that for a few years that we had enough time to prepare for students. Regular classroom teachers had problems keeping students engaged during the longer class time. So we are back to a 7 period day. I prefer Block, John Bundy

        >  Our school is thinking about block scheduling, 80 minute
        > periods
        > meeting every other day. The administration is deciding whether
        > electives, such as art, should stay as a 43 minute period or be
        > extended to the 80 minute. I think I would love to have an 80
        > minute
        > period. What do you think? What are the pros and cons. I want to
        > be
        > able to have some insight into the benefits and problems we
        > might
        > incur if we move to an 80 minute period. This way I can put my
        > two
        > cents in when decisions are being made. Thanks.
        >
        > Eileen

      • pent19
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
          My last few years during my high school experience, our school tested
          out block scheduling , by doing a part time block. Classes like gym,
          art, music, science etc, were 80 minutes every other day. While
          classes like english, math, social studies were 40 minutes every day.
          Lunches were 20 minutes during the 3rd block. As a teacher now this
          could have been a scheduling nightmare, but I believe all the
          departments had the same block, or half block off. I don't know if the
          school switched to full block scheduling or not, but I think this was
          a great way to give those who needed the extra time (one less cleanup
          for the art teachers) vs. those who need to see students everyday to
          help retain info. I think a con as an art teacher would be drying
          times with projects, vacations and snow days (from upstate ny!). If we
          were working on a clay project, had a snow day which gave us an extra
          long weekend those projects could turn dry out, of course there are
          solutions, but this is the first con i thought of. Plus, students
          making up work could be a pain, out on monday, comes to school on
          wednesday, behind 80 minutes now!
          Michele

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "eileenciavarella"
          <eileen.ciavarella@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          > Our school is thinking about block scheduling, 80 minute periods
          > meeting every other day. The administration is deciding whether
          > electives, such as art, should stay as a 43 minute period or be
          > extended to the 80 minute. I think I would love to have an 80 minute
          > period. What do you think? What are the pros and cons. I want to be
          > able to have some insight into the benefits and problems we might
          > incur if we move to an 80 minute period. This way I can put my two
          > cents in when decisions are being made. Thanks.
          >
          > Eileen

        • al haskvitz
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
            Block scheduling has never been proven to be of value to core classes except in math. There is a lot of research on the Internet to this effect.

            In art it works fine if, and this is a big if, the students have enough resources. As well, you don't see them everyday and so if they are absent one day a week you might just see them one day that week.

            Block scheduling, the new math, open concept schools.....all have some value, but you need to do your homework before taking such a stance especially with the short attention span of students.

            Alan Haskvitz

            If you need more resources, just click
            http://www.reacheverychild.com
          • reen shannon

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 1, 2007
                This is my third year in a block schedule school ( thirty plus years of teaching), and I really love it.  We alternate days, except the kids have math every day.  We will be looking at some alternatives--such as 45 minutes of math per day instead of 90.
                I did expect the kids to get more accomplished than they do.  They seem to be pretty relaxed.  There are fewer hall problems, and more time for Artful Thinking and  discussion.
                      I didn't think I;d like it, but it would be tough for me to go back to 45 minute art classes.

                On Sep 1, 2007, at 1:59 PM, al haskvitz wrote:

                Block scheduling has never been proven to be of value to core classes except in math. There is a lot of research on the Internet to this effect.

                In art it works fine if, and this is a big if, the students have enough resources. As well, you don't see them everyday and so if they are absent one day a week you might just see them one day that week.

                Block scheduling, the new math, open concept schools..... all have some value, but you need to do your homework before taking such a stance especially with the short attention span of students.

                Alan Haskvitz

                If you need more resources, just click
                http://www.reacheve rychild.com

                Peace and Grace
                Judy

              • klynblink182
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 2, 2007
                  Before I became an art teacher I took art at my HS for 2 years. We had
                  block scheduling. Having an 80 minute art class was nice and very
                  productive. We actually had time to get details on our work and make
                  projects exactly how we wanted them to look. We were able to do a lot
                  of ceramics and jewelry making b/c of the extra time in class.

                  Kristi

                  <eileen.ciavarella@...> wrote:

                  > Hello everyone,
                  > Our school is thinking about block scheduling, 80 minute periods
                  > meeting every other day. The administration is deciding whether
                  > electives, such as art, should stay as a 43 minute period or be
                  > extended to the 80 minute. I think I would love to have an 80 minute
                  > period. What do you think? What are the pros and cons. I want to be
                  > able to have some insight into the benefits and problems we might
                  > incur if we move to an 80 minute period. This way I can put my two
                  > cents in when decisions are being made. Thanks.
                  >
                  > Eileen

                • L. Deis
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 3, 2007
                    When I was in high school, my high school had block scheduling and I absolutely loved it.
                    The year was broken down into two "semesters" and each class was about 80 minutes
                    long. I loved it for my art classes, but for some other classes it seemed like the class
                    would never end!
                    When I got to college, I was already used to the length of time per class so I wasn't one of
                    the ones complaining.
                    In a few months, I'll be student teaching at a high school that doesn't have block
                    scheduling. I don't know how they get anything done! It seems like if they're painting, by
                    the time they get their colors mixed, it's almost time to go.
                    If you're in a school where students choose which classes to take, then it's great. If you're
                    in a school where a lot of students enjoy art and a lot of students have the potential to
                    continue their education in art, it's a great thing.

                    Good luck!
                    Lauren