ideas needed ....no supplies yet!

  • acesaint@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2007
      Hi everyone. I am a new art teacher grades 3-6. My supplies have not come in yet so all I have is computer paper and pencils. (I can buy some crayons myself because they are really cheap right now.)

      Does anyone know of a site where I can get a drawing creativity activity? I once saw one where only a shape is given and the student completes the design from imagination. It had several boxes to do.

      Or is there a drawing of animal parts that the kids can use their imagination to complete an animal?
      I want the kids to enjoy the activity and not be bored. Thank you!

      Jerri Taylor

    • David Exner
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 30, 2007

        Hello Jerri,

        I have had students create original cartoon characters starting only the letters in their names.  The letters may be drawn in any style/font and size.  I will find my lesson plan and examples and send you a copy ASAP.

        Peace,

        David Exner

        We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give. Winston Churchill

        David G. Exner, Community High School,District 94, WestChicago
        (630)876-6407

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 30, 2007
          I'm just curious- what's your background?
          The mandala idea that was spoken about on this board earlier would
          be a good crayon, circle activity and has a deeper meaning other than
          occupying their time between reading lessons and more reading lessons.
          Getting free magazines from your library and some glue, also very
          cheap right now, and having them create new animals or plants from
          different parts- this can be linked with the early ideas that the
          Europeans had about the rest of the world before explorer Marco Polo.
          There are some rather humorous drawings about what they thought the
          rest of the world looked like in the 1300 century. At first this may
          seem young for the crowd, but kids this age will also have to explain
          why the animal is shaped the way it is, how it protects itself, what
          defenses it uses, where it might live, how long it might live, what do
          the young look like- pretty much biology in action. It's also what
          paleontologist use when they get all the bones back together and they
          have to imagine what the skin looks like. Remember when we were kids
          and dinosaours were all brown and gray? Now they are radically
          colored! Someone put two and two together and realized being brown in
          a green forest wasn't a realistic life plan for small dinosaurs. I
          saw an exhibit on this kind of thing at an Air and Space museum near
          me. 11th and 12th graders had taken into account the environments of
          different planets and created animals that could live there. they
          were very creative looking!
          Regards,
          Brandy

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, acesaint@... wrote:

          > Hi everyone. I am a new art teacher grades 3-6. My supplies have not
          come in
          > yet so all I have is computer paper and pencils. (I can buy some
          crayons
          > myself because they are really cheap right now.)
          >
          > Does anyone know of a site where I can get a drawing creativity
          activity? I
          > once saw one where only a shape is given and the student completes
          the design
          > from imagination. It had several boxes to do.
          >
          > Or is there a drawing of animal parts that the kids can use their
          > imagination to complete an animal?
          > I want the kids to enjoy the activity and not be bored. Thank you!
          >
          > Jerri Taylor
          >

          > ************************************** Get a sneak peek of the
          all-new AOL at

        • Anna K. Ball
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 31, 2007
            I'm a big fan of gesture drawings and the kids have a blast drawing each other.  I've done this with middle schgool (6 7 8 ).  It let's them see that "real" artists can be scribbly and messy and is also a great way to loosen up their arms and hands as well as their minds.

            anna in 2nd day of inservice in sd

            I'm just curious- what's your background?
            The mandala idea that was spoken about on this board earlier would
            be a good crayon, circle activity and has a deeper meaning other than
            occupying their time between reading lessons and more reading lessons.
            Getting free magazines from your library and some glue, also very
            cheap right now, and having them create new animals or plants from
            different parts- this can be linked with the early ideas that the
            Europeans had about the rest of the world before explorer Marco Polo.
            There are some rather humorous drawings about what they thought the
            rest of the world looked like in the 1300 century. At first this may
            seem young for the crowd, but kids this age will also have to explain
            why the animal is shaped the way it is, how it protects itself, what
            defenses it uses, where it might live, how long it might live, what do
            the young look like- pretty much biology in action. It's also what
            paleontologist use when they get all the bones back together and they
            have to imagine what the skin looks like. Remember when we were kids
            and dinosaours were all brown and gray? Now they are radically
            colored! Someone put two and two together and realized being brown in
            a green forest wasn't a realistic life plan for small dinosaurs. I
            saw an exhibit on this kind of thing at an Air and Space museum near
            me. 11th and 12th graders had taken into account the environments of
            different planets and created animals that could live there. they
            were very creative looking!
            Regards,
            Brandy

            --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, acesaint@... wrote:

            > Hi everyone. I am a new art teacher grades 3-6. My supplies have not
            come in
            > yet so all I have is computer paper and pencils. (I can buy some
            crayons
            > myself because they are really cheap right now.)
            >
            > Does anyone know of a site where I can get a drawing creativity
            activity? I
            > once saw one where only a shape is given and the student completes
            the design
            > from imagination. It had several boxes to do.
            >
            > Or is there a drawing of animal parts that the kids can use their
            > imagination to complete an animal?
            > I want the kids to enjoy the activity and not be bored. Thank you!
            >
            > Jerri Taylor
            >

            > ************ ********* ********* ******** Get a sneak peek of the
            all-new AOL at
            > http://discover. aol.com/memed/ aolcom30tour

          • likebuttaplaytoast32
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 3, 2007
              Hi Jerri!

              You may already know this lesson, but it's one of my favorites and all
              you need is paper and pencils. It is basically "create your own
              animal"-- but- make it really creative- be specific about what you are
              looking for and type up a sheet for them to fill out. Tell them that
              you expect either a completely imaginary creature or a combination of
              at LEAST 4 animals (no cat-dogs, boring!) Tell them you expect a
              background, too. Include on the sheet questions like, "Where does your
              animal live? What does it eat? What is it's name? What is it's
              favorite color? Is it friendly?" (they LOVE to fill it out!)

              I hope this can help you! As kids finish, you can show examples to
              other classes and they love that, too.

              Karen
            • Hillmer, Jan
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007

                Gosh, I’ve had some real fun asking kids to draw animals using ONLY straight lines.  There was some really cool artwork.  It’s also fun to ask them to draw flowers using only straight lines.

                If you can get some pens cheap - Papermate pens on sale, something like 10 for a $1.00,- have them use the pens instead of pencils.  My kids love to use  pens for drawing.

                Jan in Tampa

                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 4, 2007
                  I like the idea of pens too--then no one can erase!  maybe i'll quit requiring them to bring a pencil to class...

                  anna in sd