End of the school year blues

  • Charlot Cassar
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2002
      I am in Malta -

      School starts 4th week of September until end of June. We get two weeks off
      for Christmas and Easter and two mid term breaks (first and second term
      only).
      Lessons start any time between 8 and 8.30 in the morning and finish between
      2 and 3.30 depending on the particular school.

      Lots of holidays but they are well justified :) (of course). Come June it
      becomes just too hot to do anything except go to the beach. In fact June is
      always half days... I guess it would change if someone were to find enough
      money to install airconditions in each and every classroom but it has been
      like this for as long as I can remember.

      C.
    • Elizabeth none of your business
      Message 2 of 8 , May 6, 2002

        I am living and teaching in England at the moment.  The school day runs from about 9-3:15 for primary and secondary schools.  Art however, in primary schools is generally taught by the classroom teacher and is difficult to fit into the timetable due to the national curriculum.  Art in secondary schools is mandatory for years 7-9 but becomes an elective later and is timetabled depending on the school's layout.  The school year finishes at the end of July and begins again in September yet there are a lot of national holidays and longer breaks for things like Christmas and Easter in between.

        On this topic however, I am actually trained in America with a bachelor of science in art education (kindergarten-12th grade) yet am finishing my student teaching in England and living here permanently.  I am finding it difficult to find a job because of my different type of degree and qualification (although it is fully or legally accepted in England).  Does anyone have any advice how to adapt my resume, cover letter, and applications to better suit the job market over here?  Thanks a lot!

        ~Liz M.

      • Ken Rohrer
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7, 2002
          Khanobporn,
          Most school districts in the midwest states of the US
          start school in August or early September and end in
          late May or June. There is a movement for year-round
          schools, however. These schools run for 9 weeks and
          have 3 weeks off in between throughout the year.
          Ken
          --- khanobporn wattanasukchai <nop13@...>
          wrote:

          <HR>

          <P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
          <DIV></DIV>
          <P><BR>Well...in Thailand the school will begin around
          16 May and the university will begin around 8 June.
          Student will study untill January and the university
          student will have final exam around March.How about
          the other?</P>
          <P> </P>

          http://health.yahoo.com