BOY PreK art ideas or resources

  • Melinda
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
      I am a first year art teacher, previously taught 1st grade. I am
      looking for ideas for PreK kids for the beginning of the year, before
      they have learned about how to manage themselves in a classroom. Even
      with the assistance of their classroom teacher, the first day was
      madness! We did some scribbling, worked with modeling clay and read a
      story and sang some songs. Any ideas are appreciated.

      Melinda
    • cj helms

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
          thanks, these are good ideas... beginning
          kindergartners are a difficult group, because thier
          fine motor skills are so undeveloped....
          Chris gotart04
          --- cj helms <cj_helms2000@...> wrote:

          > I am not there yet - still in school myself! But my
          > daughter had an amazing prek teacher last year.
          > Alot of the things they did were to develop motor
          > skills - more emphasis on texture and color than
          > "drawing". They drew or painted with some really
          > neat things - colored frozen water in dixie cups
          > (held like a large piece of chalk), sand, rocks,
          > tempra paint on plates where they could "drive" hot
          > wheels etc through then "drive" them on paper. One
          > of her favorite lessons on colors was the nilla
          > wafer color wheel with icing that they mixed
          > themselves to make their colors. Picasso was
          > touched on when the teacher gave each child an
          > 8.5x11" bw photocopy of their own picture, they cut
          > it in pieces then reassembled it in a crazy way and
          > then watercolored on top.
          >
          > If you like I will pull some of her projects, she
          > is also in school (4yr) this year with another
          > awesome teacher. I can keep you posted on their
          > projects as the year progresses.
          >
          > Melinda <melindaleboeuf@...> wrote:
          > I am a first year art teacher, previously
          > taught 1st grade. I am
          > looking for ideas for PreK kids for the beginning of
          > the year, before
          > they have learned about how to manage themselves in
          > a classroom. Even
          > with the assistance of their classroom teacher, the
          > first day was
          > madness! We did some scribbling, worked with
          > modeling clay and read a
          > story and sang some songs. Any ideas are
          > appreciated.
          >
          > Melinda

          Chris
          gotart04@...
          "REACH should exceed GRASP"

          Got a little couch potato?
        • MaryAnn F. Kohl
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 27, 2007
            Re: BOY PreK art ideas or resources/listservs and support Please join one (or both!) of our email groups, Kinderkorner or ECENet-L ... We share questions, activities, and problem solving of topics just like what you are asking. It might help you to bounce your art issues around with people who teach the ages you are teaching and know the ropes.

            Another idea: Visit my webpage for art activities from my books. I have lots of them there for you to use as needed at no cost.
            http://www.brightring.com/Fun%20Activities.html  (Also check ‘previous activities’ for archived art ideas.)
            And  -- write to me privately and I can help as much as possible. maryann@...
            Early Childhood is my particular area of comfort...preK through grade 3.

            Advice about PReK:
            PreK kids can do the same thing over and over, day after day, and not get bored. In fact, they love AND NEED repetition, and improve and grow each time they repeat the same thing, so don’t feel bad about doing playdough over and over, or scribbling for an entire week, or whatever it is. As they get comfortable, they will also improve. Just vary the materials a little, like scribbling one day on white paper with crayons, then on black paper with chalk, then crayons on yellow paper, and so on.

            Questions:
            How long do you have the kids with you in your art session?
            Do you use ‘centers’ or stations, or do you do one project with everyone as a large group?
            Let’s talk some more....maryann@...

            MaryAnn
            Below are two listservs that I’m in that really share and help each other. No one cares if you are a classroom teacher, an author, a daycare provider, or an art teacher. Everyone understands that we are all there for kids, and we all help each other without jealousy or picky-picking. It’s a wonderful supportive place to be. I think KinderKorner is most active right now, so try that one first.

            KinderKorner
            http://groups.yahoo.com/ group/kinderkorner/
            9223 Members, Archives: Membership required
            KinderKorner is an Internet mailing list of Pre-K through 2nd grade teachers -- and others -- interested in the teaching of young children. It's a place to share ideas, ask questions, get support, and a whole lot more. We're interested in what's going on in your classroom, and what works for you. The best ideas come from other teachers, and there's always someone here who's willing to help. Please join us and get involved!

            ECENET-L: Early childhood education, to age 8.
            listserv@....
            http://askeric.org/Virtual/Listserv_Archives/ECENET-L.html
            http://ericps.crc.uiuc.edu/eece/listserv/ecenet-l

            On  8/27/07 7:16 PM,  Melinda  melindaleboeuf@...  wrote:
            I am a first year art teacher, previously taught 1st grade.  I am
            looking for ideas for PreK kids for the beginning of the year, before
            they have learned about how to manage themselves in a classroom.  Even
            with the assistance of their classroom teacher, the first day was
            madness!  We did some scribbling, worked with modeling clay and read a
            story and sang some songs.  Any ideas are appreciated.

            Melinda

          • Candi
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 28, 2007
              Hi Melinda,

              One of my favorite resources is a book called Creative Art for the
              Developing Child: A Guide for Early Childhood Education by Clare
              Cherry.
              ISBN: 9780768202823

              I've had it for quite a while and referred to it often when I did our
              pre-primary program. Now I use it for my elementary aged C.I.
              students. Lots of ideas and information regarding developmental
              stages, etc.

              Good Luck!!

              ~Candi K-5

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Melinda" <melindaleboeuf@...>
              wrote:

              > I am a first year art teacher, previously taught 1st grade. I am
              > looking for ideas for PreK kids for the beginning of the year, before
              > they have learned about how to manage themselves in a classroom. Even
              > with the assistance of their classroom teacher, the first day was
              > madness! We did some scribbling, worked with modeling clay and read a
              > story and sang some songs. Any ideas are appreciated.
              >
              > Melinda

            • Melinda
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 28, 2007
                Thanks for all the awesome tips, everyone! I have my kids for 45
                minutes, and I have each class for a week at a time, then we switch
                classes and start over with a new group of kids. For the first week
                of school, I have to visit their classrooms, so paint and super-messy
                stuff is out of the question.

                IThey worked with clay and scribbles yesterday, read a book and sang
                2 songs, and again today, and I saw improvement today. But it was
                still only about 60% of kids participating and 40% going crazy, even
                with 3 adults in the room trying to keep them engaged!

                Thanks for all your tips!

                Melinda

                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "MaryAnn F. Kohl" <maryann@...>
                wrote:

                > Please join one (or both!) of our email groups, Kinderkorner or
                ECENet-L ...
                > We share questions, activities, and problem solving of topics just
                like what
                > you are asking. It might help you to bounce your art issues around
                with
                > people who teach the ages you are teaching and know the ropes.
                >
                > Another idea: Visit my webpage for art activities from my books. I
                have lots
                > of them there for you to use as needed at no cost.
                > http://www.brightring.com/Fun%20Activities.html (Also check
                Œprevious
> [...]
                here who's
                > willing to help. Please join us and get involved!
                >
                > ECENET-L: Early childhood education, to age 8.
                > listserv@...
                > http://askeric.org/Virtual/Listserv_Archives/ECENET-L.html
                > http://ericps.crc.uiuc.edu/eece/listserv/ecenet-l
                >

                > On 8/27/07 7:16 PM, Melinda melindaleboeuf@... wrote:
                > > I am a first year art teacher, previously taught 1st grade. I am
                > > looking for ideas for PreK kids for the beginning of the year,
                before
                > > they have learned about how to manage themselves in a classroom.
                Even
                > > with the assistance of their classroom teacher, the first day was
                > > madness! We did some scribbling, worked with modeling clay and
                read a
                > > story and sang some songs. Any ideas are appreciated.

              • Beth Weiss Morris
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 28, 2007
                  I teach preschool art one morning a week. I have 3-5 year olds in a
                  combined class. My class is small, so I am not sure how feasible
                  these ideas will be if you have a big group.

                  Here are some things I do:

                  Tempera paint squirted onto 12 x 18 paper, cover with wax paper, let
                  the kids squish, mush, mix, etc. Their hands stay clean, but the love
                  to feel the paint!

                  I do a good bit of watercolor resist with crayon or cra-pas. One
                  thing I do is bunch of different colored lines -- curly line, zig
                  zag, etc.....we call it something like a Rainbow Dancing or Rainbow
                  in the Breeze, then watercolor over it.

                  I usually plan one major activity, then set up centers for those who
                  finish early. I have dough with lots of tappers, choppers, rollers,
                  cookie cutters, and another thing the LOVE is beading onto pipe
                  cleaners. Your room will be literally silent. This is a great one
                  if you have a headache!!! ;) Or if you want to do something really
                  teacher intensive, they can bead and you can call them over one or 2
                  at a time.

                  I also do a self portrait each month and hold them until the end of
                  the year to send home.

                  My theory at this stage is proces over product.

                  Kids like to glue tissue scraps onto paper, with brushes and watered
                  down glue. They love to draw themselves, their homes, their
                  families.

                  I am not a big fan of tracers, but I do use them for shapes at the
                  start of the year. I used posterboard on the Ellison cutter and did
                  all the shapes. The kids can trace them with chalk and smear, or
                  color them in with crayon and watercolor over top.

                  They love to do and glue/collage and paint. But first you have to
                  teach the process. We also do salt/flour dough.

                  Good luck to yoU!
                • RAWartist@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 29, 2007
                    These ideas are great for me also since I will be teaching k-2 this year.

                    Thanks--hope the lessons continue.

                    Ruthe Ann
                    NJ