Art Club

  • blamirecyn
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 22, 2007
      I would like to start an after school Art Guild this year. It will be for grades 3-5 The purpose
      will be to beautify our campus. I have some project ideas, but I was wondering if anyone
      could give me some tips regarding requirements, contracts, permission slips, or membership
      applications? Thank you.

      Cyn
      Florida
    • Freta Oktarina
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 22, 2007
        dear all,

        we’d like to introduce our rumah semut.
        rumah semut is visual art studio. since may 2004 based on jakarta,
        indonesia, rumah semut (ant’s house) provides a wide range of
        activities for kids and teenagers.

        rumah semut facilitates students do such an exploration and
        experimentation to enlarge their perspective on media and material.
        program developments were focused on the process of mind-concept
        establishment on how to communicate with visual language as a way to
        transform idea into objects.

        main issue brought up by our program was to socialize the
        implementation of utilizing visual art for self development. student
        were motivated to pay more attention toward environment. every session
        is projected to increase individual capacity in sensing, to be more
        creative, imaginative, and innovative.

        rumah semut open regular class (drawing studio, painting studio, comics
        studio, creative-experiment studio) and also hold events, rumah semut
        visits school, and our special occasion called liburan seru rumah semut
        (holiday program). please see attached rumah semut in pictures as in
        the mean time our website www.rumahsemut.com is still under
        construction.

        beside art-programming rumah semut also launched art-package
        (kreativitoolz). it contents various media (such ceramic, canvas-bag,
        candy-can, etc) were packed together with brush, paints, and other
        materials. in kreativitoolz there are only 3basic colors (red, blue,
        yellow) +white. we want students create many colors by themselves as
        finding color is one of many amazing art experiences.
        not just who live near rumah semut, we want more students can touch
        art. if rumah semut can’t fly to them, then kreativitoolz will fly to
        them. herewith the catalog of our painting-series package as you can
        check. except pictures shown we also have batik-painting package,
        making collage with sands, etc.

        we welcome for any comments. if you have something in mind please
        share with us. we will be very glad to have a discuss with you. or if
        you want to get info about kreativitoolz do not hesitate to contact us
        too.

        we wait for all of your respon,
        thank you.

        warm regards,
        freta oktarina
        +62 8161951363

        creativity is not a gift, it will grow by sensing. try to give a better
        look over what you see around, and think what you can do more. keep up
        the spirit of creation and innovation, always.

        http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
      • Freta Oktarina
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 22, 2007
[...]

          http://farechase.yahoo.com/
        • kamla ravikumar
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 23, 2007
            Hi,
            You will definitely need the following;
            1) permission from the principal
            2) Aplication form with signed consent from paremt to permit student's participation.Phone number of parent in case of any emergency.Also who will be picking up the kid after the club activity is over.?
            3) is the child allergic to any shrub or plant...This is in case you are going to be out in the school garden for long.

            As regards activities...I used to Volunteer for environment club acitivities at a school near my home.
            The teacher used to collect $ 10 as membership fee for the year.This would go towards incidental expences.Only 30 students were allowed per year to make it a mangeable group for the teacher.

            They used to do printmaking with the leaves to understand leaf patterns and designs of the  leaf veins.
            A bark autograph was one activity that interested the kids a lot because you took a pencil impression of the tree bark and got amazing patterns.
            Most kids make a mistake of drawing a leaf attched to the trunk of the tree and it is only after observation that they see branches and stems.

            If the kids are permitted to work in the mud...you could encourage them to have a vegetable patch in the school yard.In the school that I worked with, the 5th & 6th graders, grew tamatoes, brinjal (aubergines), okra and chillies, which grow very easily.The kids used to sell these vegetables in the school campus and make money for the club.They learnt business and accounting too, this way.

            The 5th graders could be taught to make a compost pit with the dry garden waste.
            It will be an art & environment activity club.
            good luck.

            Kamla

            Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
          • aj4art
            Message 5 of 21 , Sep 21, 2008
              I'm doing Art Club again after-school. The problem is I have so many students who want to
              participate. Do any of you use an application process? How do you choose who gets to be in
              it? The serious students always seem to have so much going on after-school- sports, drama
              club, service club... but they still want to join art club as well. I'm planning to run 3 separate
              sessions so I can meet with more students, but I always end up feeling bad for the ones who
              don't "get in". I only want to work with 10 students at a time-I'm sure everyone can identify
              with student burn out at the end of a long day. Some teachers have told me to have a policy
              that if they miss 2 sessions they are out (but they always have such good excuses! What if
              they are absent on that day?) Another question- do you charge your students for club?
              Thanks in advance-
              Amy
            • Kelli Wilke
              Message 6 of 21 , Sep 21, 2008
                Amy,
                I had a lot of kids last year too so I know what you mean.  I was lucky enough to have another teacher volunteer to help out.  Do you have anyone that would want to help?  My kids don't have to "get in".  I have no application process but I do enforce the "3 unexcused absences and you're out" rule.  They have to be unexcused.  Unfortunately, I have enforced it with a couple of kids.  You almost have to otherwise you get kids who decide "I don't feel like going today so I'm just not going to" and those kinds of attitudes are not productive and it frustrates the kiddos who are there every time.  Luckily, my art club is part of our after school program so I don't have to charge the kids.  If it wasn't, I would probably charge them.  That might reduce the amount of kids who sign up.  They might take the decision to join more seriously if they have to pay for it.
                Maybe you could set up some sort of groups.  Break them up into 3 groups, meet with the 1st group the 1st week, show them what to do and then meet with two groups the next week and and the 1st group could help the 2nd group with the project, and so on.....Or have three different project and meet with the 1st group and get them going on their project, then the following week meet with the next group and teach them their project, and the same thing on the 3rd week.  When they finish, then they can teach the other groups their "project".  Just a thought on how to handle high numbers.
                Hope it helps a little.

                Kelli in NE

[...]

              • Anne Carman- Hendel
                Message 7 of 21 , Sep 21, 2008
                  I teach in a middle school and this is the second year that I have been sponsor for the Art Club. We meet after school.    I also had high numbers apply for Art Club.  It's a nice, but perplexing problem to have.  The sponsor who preceeded me limited the club to 8th graders who had gotten an "A" or "B" in art class and I did not want to go that route.  The 6th graders have less teams and clubs they may join.  Others are not able to take an art class because of band yet have a genuine interest.  There are many reasons I did not want to make Art Club too elitist.

                  After talking with my principal, I decided to accept all students, but have two separate groups.   I will have 6th Grade Art Club on one day and 7th/8th Grade Art Club on another when we are working on projects, but I plan to combine the groups when we have a guest artist visit.   It's an experiment or sorts and not as easy, but I am happy so many students are enthused about Art Club.

                  I do have the students complete an application and I would be happy to email it to you.  I found some examples online last year and used  others' ideas and wrote what worked for my situation.  A friend of mine who sponsored a high school art club had her members sign a pledge each year.

                  I also have decided to have a "three unexcused absences and you lose your membership" policy, too.  Not fun, but more fair to those who are so responsible and loyal.

                  Anne C-H  in Illinois

                  Message 8 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                    HI Anne-
                    Thanks for the ideas- I like the 3 unexcused absences rule. I would also love to see your
                    appl. if you could send it (offline if you'd like). I know the middle school teacher charges
                    $1 each time they come- not sure if my principal would go for that....As you know, all
                    those little extras add up. It's great that so many are enthusiastic about art, just wish I had
                    some financial backing to really do what I wanted to do.
                    Thanks for your input-
                    Amy (NY)

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Anne Carman- Hendel <carm57@...> wrote:

                    > I teach in a middle school and this is the second year that I have
                    > been sponsor for the Art Club. We meet after school. I also had
                    > high numbers apply for Art Club. It's a nice, but perplexing problem
                    > to have. The sponsor who preceeded me limited the club to 8th
                    > graders who had gotten an "A" or "B" in art class and I did not want
                    > to go that route. The 6th graders have less teams and clubs they may
                    > join. Others are not able to take an art class because of band yet
                    > have a genuine interest. There are many reasons I did not want to
                    > make Art Club too elitist.
                    >
                    > After talking with my principal, I decided to accept all students,
                    > but have two separate groups. I will have 6th Grade Art Club on one
                    > day and 7th/8th Grade Art Club on another when we are working on
                    > projects, but I plan to combine the groups when we have a guest
                    > artist visit. It's an experiment or sorts and not as easy, but I am
                    > happy so many students are enthused about Art Club.
                    >
                    > I do have the students complete an application and I would be happy
                    > to email it to you. I found some examples online last year and used
                    > others' ideas and wrote what worked for my situation. A friend of
                    > mine who sponsored a high school art club had her members sign a
                    > pledge each year.
                    >
                    > I also have decided to have a "three unexcused absences and you lose
                    > your membership" policy, too. Not fun, but more fair to those who
                    > are so responsible and loyal.
                    >
                    > Anne C-H in Illinois
                    >

                    > On Sep 21, 2008, at 2:42 PM, aj4art wrote:
                    >
                    > > I'm doing Art Club again after-school. The problem is I have so
                    > > many students who want to
                    > > participate. Do any of you use an application process? How do you
                    > > choose who gets to be in
                    > > it? The serious students always seem to have so much going on after-
                    > > school- sports, drama
                    > > club, service club... but they still want to join art club as well.
                    > > I'm planning to run 3 separate
                    > > sessions so I can meet with more students, but I always end up
                    > > feeling bad for the ones who
                    > > don't "get in". I only want to work with 10 students at a time-I'm
                    > > sure everyone can identify
                    > > with student burn out at the end of a long day. Some teachers have
                    > > told me to have a policy
                    > > that if they miss 2 sessions they are out (but they always have
                    > > such good excuses! What if
                    > > they are absent on that day?) Another question- do you charge your
                    > > students for club?
                    > > Thanks in advance-
                    > > Amy

                  • aliteachesart
                    Message 9 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                      Hi,

                      What level do you teach? I do art club with elementary and it has
                      been very popular too. I now have students sign up and then divide
                      the sessions by the number of kids. Last year art club was three
                      weeks in a row for all the kids that signed up. This year the numbers
                      are down, so they will be longer. I also am doing an "art club
                      extended" that will be an hour and a half for serious artists. As for
                      charging them- if you teach in a public school you can ask your parent
                      group for some funds, and your principle too. You may be able to get
                      a stipend for the club also, check your contract. I have letters home
                      I could share. ALi B.
                    • aj4art
                      Message 10 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                        Hi Ali-
                        I would love to see your letter. I teach 3-6th. I'm offering Art club to 5th and 6th. I just
                        don't know how to "weed" out the kids who I don't think will take it seriously. Drama Club
                        lets everyone in, but it has 2 teacher advisors. Art is MUCH more hands on and requires
                        much more prep.
                        Also- has anyone ever done life sized scarecrows? Would like that to be my 1st project for
                        the club- did it 2 years ago, but the scarecrows were not very sturdy. (We used 2x4's
                        nailed together with plaster tape heads- some fell over while on display.) Would love to
                        hear some suggestions. I'm planning on having the community vote for their favorite. I
                        thought it might be fun to model them after famous artists/paintings.
                        I think I will approach my PTA for some funds.
                        Thanks!
                        Amy (NY)
                        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aliteachesart" <abenton@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > What level do you teach? I do art club with elementary and it has
                        > been very popular too. I now have students sign up and then divide
                        > the sessions by the number of kids. Last year art club was three
                        > weeks in a row for all the kids that signed up. This year the numbers
                        > are down, so they will be longer. I also am doing an "art club
                        > extended" that will be an hour and a half for serious artists. As for
                        > charging them- if you teach in a public school you can ask your parent
                        > group for some funds, and your principle too. You may be able to get
                        > a stipend for the club also, check your contract. I have letters home
                        > I could share. ALi B.

                      • aliteachesart
                        Message 11 of 21 , Sep 22, 2008
                          Heather and all,

                          I put my art club notes in the files for sharing folder in files (does
                          that make sense?). Maybe a good starting off point for you. I try to
                          keep the number less than 20. You might want to ask school staff if
                          anyone would be interested in helping out- a long term sub is going to
                          help me and an aide expressed interest too, you never know! As for
                          your scarecrows- are you doing them as a group? I was thinking of
                          doing life size 2d scarecrows with my after school club too! ALi
                        • katday2001
                          Message 12 of 21 , Sep 23, 2008
                            I envy you all! I am trying to start Art Club for the first time this
                            year. I teach at a very small school- 89 in grades 7-12. The middle
                            schoolers are the only ones interested, and it's very hard to get them
                            to meetings. Afternoons, most people have to take the bus, as there
                            is no transportation otherwise. I hate to get into taking them all
                            home afterwards without some gas reimbursement. Morning meetings were
                            okay for quick get-organized meetings, but now basketball season has
                            started and they practice then. Maybe my school is too small? Clubs
                            really struggle here, esp. new ones. Everyone interested in doing
                            anything is already in sports or cheerleading which takes up all time.
                            My goals for the club are to make items to sell (jewelry, calendars,
                            etc.) to finance trips. We just returned from a Renaissance Fair
                            Saturday where I had to open it up to the students at large just to
                            fill the van. I wish I had YOUR problems!
                            Kathleen

                            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aj4art" <aj4art@...> wrote:

                            > Hi Ali-
                            > I would love to see your letter. I teach 3-6th. I'm offering Art
                            club to 5th and 6th. I just
                            > don't know how to "weed" out the kids who I don't think will take it
                            seriously. Drama Club
                            > lets everyone in, but it has 2 teacher advisors. Art is MUCH more
                            hands on and requires
                            > much more prep.
                            > Also- has anyone ever done life sized scarecrows? Would like that to
                            be my 1st project for
                            > the club- did it 2 years ago, but the scarecrows were not very
                            sturdy. (We used 2x4's
                            > nailed together with plaster tape heads- some fell over while on
                            display.) Would love to
                            > hear some suggestions. I'm planning on having the community vote
                            for their favorite. I
                            > thought it might be fun to model them after famous artists/paintings.
                            > I think I will approach my PTA for some funds.
                            > Thanks!
                            > Amy (NY)
                            > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aliteachesart" <abenton@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi,
                            > >
                            > > What level do you teach? I do art club with elementary and it has
                            > > been very popular too. I now have students sign up and then divide
                            > > the sessions by the number of kids. Last year art club was three
                            > > weeks in a row for all the kids that signed up. This year the numbers
                            > > are down, so they will be longer. I also am doing an "art club
                            > > extended" that will be an hour and a half for serious artists. As for
                            > > charging them- if you teach in a public school you can ask your parent
                            > > group for some funds, and your principle too. You may be able to get
                            > > a stipend for the club also, check your contract. I have letters home
                            > > I could share. ALi B.

                          • aliteachesart
                            Message 13 of 21 , Sep 8, 2010
                              Hi All,

                              Its Art Club time again, and I am determined to keep my numbers LOW- meaning 10 kids rather than 80 (I'm volunteering). Does anyone have an application to share? My club will be for grades 3+4. Thanks in advance! Any fabulous club projects would also be appreciated. We're going to make apple head dolls as our first project. Thanks! ALi k-4
                            • Keisha Pegues
                              Message 14 of 21 , Sep 8, 2010
                                Would love to have more information about this too!!!

                                Message 15 of 21 , Sep 8, 2010
                                  Did anyone look at www.brainpop.com ?
                                  They have some great little videos about famous artists, among many other things.
                                  You can check it out for free for a month.

                                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                                  MaryAnn
                                  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
                                  25th Anniversary 1985 – 2010
                                  Celebrating 25 Years of Bringing Art to Children

                                  On Sep 8, 2010, at 5:11 PM, Keisha Pegues wrote:

                                  Would love to have more information about this too!!!

                                  Its Art Club time again, and I am determined to keep my numbers LOW- meaning 10 kids rather than 80 (I'm volunteering). Does anyone have an application to share? My club will be for grades 3+4. Thanks in advance! Any fabulous club projects would also be appreciated. We're going to make apple head dolls as our first project. Thanks! ALi k-4

                                • Steve Reiter
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Sep 8, 2010
                                    My art club is grades 3,4,and 5. I take five students from each grade and that is it. My art club meets from 3:15 til 5:00 pm one day a week. I go to the classrooms on the same day and ask who would like a form to join art club. On the form is a letter to parents stating what art club is what is expected of their student and themselves and that they are responsible for picking up their child by 5:00pm. If the child is picked up late twice, the child can no longer stay. ( late meaning twenty minutes or later) unless it is for an extremely good reason.  I then move a child in who is on the waiting list. The students are told the first five from each grade level who hand in the permission form gets to stay. I have done this for 8 years and it has worked out great. We have 450 students but usually the ones who really are interested in art are the ones who return the form fast.

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Sep 9, 2010
                                      I checked the archives and files and found a permission slip I shared a few years ago! I changed it and added it again (Art Club Note in files). I'll keep my fingers crossed that numbers stay low, with the long meeting time and parent pick-up. I'll share how it all goes... thanks, ALi

                                      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aliteachesart" <abenton@...> wrote:

                                      > Hi All,
                                      >
                                      > Its Art Club time again, and I am determined to keep my numbers LOW- meaning 10 kids rather than 80 (I'm volunteering). Does anyone have an application to share? My club will be for grades 3+4. Thanks in advance! Any fabulous club projects would also be appreciated. We're going to make apple head dolls as our first project. Thanks! ALi k-4

                                    • Kerri Gordon
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Sep 9, 2010
                                        Does anyone have a high school art club? I am looking for some fresh ideas!!!
                                        Kerri Gordon
                                        aRt TEaCHeR
                                        Northwood School
                                        715-466-2297

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Sep 9, 2010
                                          Yes!!!! Used this last yearh with 7th grade but for science ans social students...co teacher.

                                          Its Art Club time again, and I am determined to keep my numbers LOW- meaning 10 kids rather than 80 (I'm volunteering). Does anyone have an application to share? My club will be for grades 3+4. Thanks in advance! Any fabulous club projects would also be appreciated. We're going to make apple head dolls as our first project. Thanks! ALi k-4

                                        • Kathleen Maledon
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Sep 9, 2010
                                            many of the pioneering crafts: tin punching, candle making, rag rug making, victorian sitting rooms from
                                            blk and white (later colored) visuals (collage), theorem painting, etc. are fun

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Sep 21, 2010
                                              I have been an Art teacher for a year and a half. Since my half a year starting in January I have created an Art Club for our High School in Ozona Texas. The first thing I did (after permission was granted) was write a consitution, then secondly I typed a parent consent form for students to sign. I'd send these to you, but it will take a day (since yesterday I accidentally deleted my artclub file, aghhh!).
                                              Projects we are planning on doing this year:
                                              3 fundraisers for supplies, field trip, and a possible scholarship.
                                              We are lucky at the school I work because even though it is a rural community, the school board granted me purchase of a new kiln.
                                              So one fundraiser I will be doing is a "Ceramic Bowl Auction" which is where we are planning on making around 50+ bowls and serving them chili or brisket(a parent has offered to help with brisket, or else I would say no). And everyone here loves food, and the parents and older people are very supportive.
                                              The other fundraisers will be to sell candles and a possible cake walk at our Halloween festival(again with the food, lol!).
                                              Projects we are planning to participate in other than the ceramic bowl making is painting our first mural in my classroom (the wall is canvas in the middle). After that we have been asked to paint a mural at our town's civic center.
                                              During my student teaching the school I worked for made Christmas wrapping paper with stamps and large craft paper. When I was in college we had a Student Art Show(to buy the artworks) hosted by the Art Club and we also hosted/created a Haunted House. The AG actually does this here at my school, and ranks in A LOT of MONEY!
                                              Hope that helps, feel free to email me at
                                              ariel.kellogg@...