Re: [art_education] End of the school year blues

  • khanobporn wattanasukchai
    Message 1 of 8 , May 5, 2002

      Well...in Thailand the school will begin around 16 May and the university will begin around 8 June. Student will study untill January and the university student will have final exam around March.How about the other?

      khanobporn  Wattanasukchai

      Obb

      Project web building

      >From: Ken Rohrer
      >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [art_education] End of the school year blues
      >Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 16:11:13 -0700 (PDT)
      >
      >As I was thinking about how it is a challenge to get
      >through the rest of the school year here in Indiana, I
      >remembered that public school is much different in
      >other countries. As I recall, in Italy they go to
      >school almost all year (August they have off) but have
      >shorter school days. They were out by 1:00 p.m. every
      >day.
      >
      >Since there are many members of this list who are in
      >other countries, maybe you could share with us how
      >your school year is structured. How long are your
      >vacations? How long are your school days?
      >
      >Ken Rohrer

      >Yahoo! Health - your guide to health and wellness
      >http://health.yahoo.com

      >Buy Stock for $4
      >and no minimums.
      >FREE Money 2002.
      >http://us.click.yahoo.com/orkH0C/n97DAA/Ey.GAA/PcIolB/TM

    • Renah Bell
      Message 2 of 8 , May 5, 2002
        Both of my brothers and one of my daughters live in Israel. There the summer
        vacation is 5 weeks long and they get out of school at 1 PM also. The
        afternoons are filled with clubs and activities---after the homework is done
        , of course.
        Renah Bell
        > As I was thinking about how it is a challenge to get
        > through the rest of the school year here in Indiana, I
        > remembered that public school is much different in
        > other countries. As I recall, in Italy they go to
        > school almost all year (August they have off) but have
        > shorter school days. They were out by 1:00 p.m. every
        > day.
        >
        > Since there are many members of this list who are in
        > other countries, maybe you could share with us how
        > your school year is structured. How long are your
        > vacations? How long are your school days?
        >
        > Ken Rohrer

      • Charlot Cassar
        Message 3 of 8 , May 5, 2002
          I am in Malta -

          School starts 4th week of September until end of June. We get two weeks off
          for Christmas and Easter and two mid term breaks (first and second term
          only).
          Lessons start any time between 8 and 8.30 in the morning and finish between
          2 and 3.30 depending on the particular school.

          Lots of holidays but they are well justified :) (of course). Come June it
          becomes just too hot to do anything except go to the beach. In fact June is
          always half days... I guess it would change if someone were to find enough
          money to install airconditions in each and every classroom but it has been
          like this for as long as I can remember.

          C.
        • Elizabeth none of your business
          Message 4 of 8 , May 6, 2002

            I am living and teaching in England at the moment.  The school day runs from about 9-3:15 for primary and secondary schools.  Art however, in primary schools is generally taught by the classroom teacher and is difficult to fit into the timetable due to the national curriculum.  Art in secondary schools is mandatory for years 7-9 but becomes an elective later and is timetabled depending on the school's layout.  The school year finishes at the end of July and begins again in September yet there are a lot of national holidays and longer breaks for things like Christmas and Easter in between.

            On this topic however, I am actually trained in America with a bachelor of science in art education (kindergarten-12th grade) yet am finishing my student teaching in England and living here permanently.  I am finding it difficult to find a job because of my different type of degree and qualification (although it is fully or legally accepted in England).  Does anyone have any advice how to adapt my resume, cover letter, and applications to better suit the job market over here?  Thanks a lot!

            ~Liz M.

          • Ken Rohrer
            Message 5 of 8 , May 7, 2002
              Khanobporn,
              Most school districts in the midwest states of the US
              start school in August or early September and end in
              late May or June. There is a movement for year-round
              schools, however. These schools run for 9 weeks and
              have 3 weeks off in between throughout the year.
              Ken
              --- khanobporn wattanasukchai <nop13@...>
              wrote:

              <HR>

              <P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
              <DIV></DIV>
              <P><BR>Well...in Thailand the school will begin around
              16 May and the university will begin around 8 June.
              Student will study untill January and the university
              student will have final exam around March.How about
              the other?</P>
              <P> </P>

              http://health.yahoo.com