Re: [art_education] Courses ideas?

  • Jeff Pridie
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 8, 2007
      Lauren,

      Multicultural Art History (Pick four or five specific
      cultures)

      Art History (Overview of Primitive to Modern)

      Traditional American Crafts (weaving (baskets/fibers,
      pottery, decorative arts)

      Digital Photography

      Jeff (Minnesota)

      --- lava5000 <lava5000@...> wrote:

      > My principal just asked me if I could make a course
      > for new students.
      > I am already teaching Beg., Int., Adv., and Comics
      > & Animation. I am
      > worried this class will be a dumping ground,
      > however, it would be for
      > extra needed money.
      > Any ideas?
      >
      > TIA,
      > Lauren

      http://sims.yahoo.com/
    • Lee & Kathleen Day
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 8, 2007
        I have received hints of adding another course to our art curriculum, and, of course, I recognize this is the administration's need to put kids who have already had other art courses SOMEWHERE (read: dumping ground).  There are many areas of art you could pursue,but how about Art Apprectiation?  There is some hands-on work, but mostly history, research reports, and discussion.  This could be expanded into a humanities course, if you're already teaching a lot of appreciation in the other classes.  A course like this really helps those interested in art and is academic enough to discourage the less-enthused.  Good luck!
        Kat
        NEVC
      • Larry Seiler
        Message 3 of 12 , Aug 8, 2007
          Well... perhaps to avoid being the dumping ground, how about a course
          on art history and aesthetics?

          *evil grin...

          I always thought it would be very meaningful and enjoyable to teach a
          separate class like that, and integrate with World History...

          but...if you had more than a handful of students interested to sign
          up, or any at all...wouldn't surprise me.

          Not knowing what is covered in your Intermediate and Advanced
          classes, makes it hard to really suggest something that might help
          you, for example I presume you have Ceramics (slab building and
          wheel thrown?).

          I started an independent arts expression class a couple years ago
          that has gone nuts. We were in a block schedule and worked well for
          me, students quite excited...ideas flying, great work...and lots of
          attention received at end of year all conference senior high art
          show. Students learned to really think out of the box.

          For example, my first project is to create a self-portrait that does
          not fit the traditional idea of what a self-portrait is. This one
          doesn't reveal what you look like, but who you are...your world,
          ideas...hurts, fears, likes and dislikes. Some took old books and
          did the book alteration direction. Someone took an old desk...cut a
          large rectangle out of the center, decopaged news clippings,
          caligraphy, bits and pieces of a mirror and a clock (symbolic) inside
          the drawer to be seen...placed glass into the desk top (so we
          integrated with the technology/shop teacher). Someone took
          insulation foamboard, the 2" pink stuff used sandwiched between
          basement walls and drywall, glued sections together, carved out a
          manikin form, painted it black...ran a standing lamp post thru it
          vertically, wired it up with shade to stand as a light, then creating
          a unique blend of photos, fabrics and such to represent an outfit on
          the manikin.

          Other projects, students studied past artists picking a favorite, and
          took a found object or disgarded piece of wood furniture and
          reproduced the artist's work. For example one student of mine took
          Edgar Degas's Day at the Races, with horses and jockeys...and painted
          up a lovely wooden bench, (which I later bought from her).

          Every year a student comes up with something that is shocking, makes
          people think. A number of years ago....a girl took an old Underwood
          typewriter, threw paint on it, painted certain keys red to spell out
          the word .. Help.. wrapped rope around the perimeters, glued an image
          of a girls face onto the front of the typewriter's panel...dripped
          epoxy that dried and appeared like tears, and a Tonka plastic truck
          tire off one edge for symbolism. There was a short note left in the
          typewriter with only the words "if" typed up...and some edges of the
          paper burned.

          We have a small school of 300 students, and she was working out
          feelings of the fact that we had four student deaths her junior year,
          one accidental drowning and three suicides...all her class year and
          mates.

          Her father, a teacher...was compelled to ask me if I knew something
          he didn't...and I assured him it was an art statement. It took best
          of show in the conference show for her...and she is now going into
          her senior year at UW Milwaukee majoring in the visual and graphic arts.

          Last example...this past year a senior girl brought in one of the old
          wood television councils...and our head custodian helped strip the
          set of the internal guts, the tube and so forth. She replaced the
          television glass with plexiglas...and built up within the television
          set a scenario of what could be a road side bomb result in Iraq.
          Bricks...spent bullet casings, a tattered child's doll and hint of
          blood. ON and on...

          she did some very creative aesthetic things to the outside of the
          television, and put a colored lightbulb inside the television set
          with the back removable to turn the light on or off. It was her way
          of expressing feelings about the news nightly putting the reality of
          the war right there in our faces, feelings of loved ones off
          fighting, and so forth.

          Now...unfortunately, we are going back to a seven hour day. My high
          school art classes will be in two blocks, so I'll have them even
          longer this year, and all year...but, less classes to offer. I will
          have to figure out when and how, and who...that signs up can at the
          advanced level enter into the challenge of this class thinking out of
          the box. It was one of the most energetic classes I had the
          privilege to facilitate, teach, and observe students in.

          There are however, endless ideas for a class...and for me in a small
          logging community with budget issues, a found object thinking out of
          the box class cost very little in supplies on my end, and the kids
          seemed to have no qualms about spending on their own project ideas
          when they needed something.

          hope that helps...

          Larry
          http://larryseiler.blogspot.com
        • Shellee
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 8, 2007
            How about a digital art course! Some of my students wanted to learn
            about basic photography and how to manipulate pictures last year.
            Unfortunately I have only one very slow computer in my room and no
            photoshop or illustrator programs. I downloaded Irfanview so we could
            do some very basic manipulation of photos for other projects. This
            year I have only 8 students in one of my HS classes and I am planning
            on using my laptop and programs. I have much to learn myself about
            using these programs. I took a beginning photography class in college
            however there was no digital photography covered. I believe there is
            so many areas one could cover in a digital art course.
            Shellee

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "lava5000" <lava5000@...> wrote:

            > My principal just asked me if I could make a course for new students.
            > I am already teaching Beg., Int., Adv., and Comics & Animation. I am
            > worried this class will be a dumping ground, however, it would be for
            > extra needed money.
            > Any ideas?
            >
            > TIA,
            > Lauren

          • Kris Fontes
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 8, 2007
              Lauren,
              Could you tell me about your comics and animation class?
              Kris Fontes

              My principal just asked me if I could make a course for new students.
              I am already teaching Beg., Int., Adv., and Comics & Animation. I am
              worried this class will be a dumping ground, however, it would be for
              extra needed money.
              Any ideas?

              TIA,
              Lauren

              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            • Lauren
              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 9, 2007
                Kris-
                These are explorations classes.  My 6th grade class is a nine weeks course.  The students create an autobiographical comic strip (I think I might have gotten that idea from you ;)  ), a flip book, and then we use appleworks to create animations.  It is a really quick 9 weeks.
                My 7th grade class is a semester long.  Students create an original comic book.  They then make a sculpture out of their main character.  I am going to have them create a zoetrope before we start in with the computer animations.  Last year was the first time I taught this, so I am still kind of adding and subtracting ideas.  After working on digital animations, they then create a claymation.  Last year we ran out of time to get to a finished product, but I want them to also work in a small group to make a claymation.

                HTH,

                --
                Lauren in Vegas
              • familyerickson
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 9, 2007
                  I am teaching a parody lesson on American Gothic and Grant Wood.   I used to have a coloring book page of American Gothic that came out of a Dover Book.   I have lost this handout!   Does anyone have it that you could email or snailmail to me?   I spent over an hour today trying to find it on the internet and it just isn't out there.
                  Thanks for your help.
                  Cindy

                • Kris Fontes
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 9, 2007
                    Lauren,
                    Thanks for getting back to me. I have taken a new avenue with my seventh grade art classes;  semester long for ninety minutes, one group of 25 on A day and one group of 25 on B day. We are no longer doing pinch pots, painting, weaving or drawing on the right side of the brain still lifes. I have decided to concentrate on one long unit on graphic novels/comic books. I figure that I see the kids 45 days during the semester and that should be just about right to really get our teeth into something of substance. We started with the autobiographical packet too, and from there developed a single frame comic and a three panel comic. We have spent alot of time talking about sequencing and character development. This past week we "mangaized" ourselves - took a digitial photo of each kid, had them trace over it with pencil changing the facial features into anime-like characters - trace again with skinny black markers - make a few copies for them to color with colored pencils - also scanned the black line drawing into the computer for them to "color" in Photoshop. I'll take pictures of these tomorrow. Next up is little paper toy http://www.readymech.com that they will turn into themselves - another pix I will take for you tomorrow. Then we will begin the task of writing and illustrating our comic books.
                    I am really loving the results I am getting from most of the kids; I think the whole visual culture approach to art is more relevent to them than ramming the elements and principles down their throats.
                    I'll keep you up to date on my progress.
                    I can send you some of my handouts if you like - I have a TON. Let me know your snail mail address.
                    Kris

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 11, 2007
                      Kris-
                      I would love to see pictures!  I am always looking for new things to do with this class since I am kind of making up the curriculum myself.  I agree with you about teaching students about visual culture. Students love anything that has to do with cartoons, comics, or animation.   I do sneak in vocabulary and elements without them even realizing it because they are so excited about doing the project.  It is awesome.
                      One of my students brought in a roll of newprint from the local paper, so I am thinking of doing a collaborative comic strip with the entire class, or maybe a group of 3-4 can do a single frame comic.
                      In the latest school arts, there was a lesson for a readymech type project.   I though it seemed like a pretty cool idea,  and  I love the  images on the webiste you shared.

                      --
                      Lauren in Vegas
                    • Lrooo
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 11, 2007
                        Hello fellow art teachers,
                        I am emcart NB certified and would like to mentor people in Florida...National Board candidates or new teachers
                         email me at Lrooo@...