RE: [art_education] Pure Ranting about the 1st Week of School - long post

  • Jen Millward
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007

      My only question in this is: does your school not ensure acceptable classroom numbers when making up schedules? I guess I have another question: why does the administration tolerate a psychopathic teacher who screams at other professionals in front of the students?? What is this teaching the kids??

      I feel for you!

      Jen in NY

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
        wow--this sucks.  I have nothing useful to say except I hope things get better--they HAVE to get better!
        ( I had my first back-to-school nightmare (we don't start til after labor day) but it was nothing compared to your real-life nightmare!)

        anna in the midst of the Sturgis motorcycle rally (sigh) in sd

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
          Wow,

          First of all this is no way to start the first week of
          school. Sounds like administration again setting up a
          situation between staff members that did not need to
          take place. Secondly administration that should have
          stepped in and make it clear to the Music teacher all
          decisions where theirs and that the aligations against
          you are unfounded and should stop or disciplinary
          actions would be taken.

          I to have had situations of overloading classrooms.
          Again I place this back on the administration to be
          the bad guys. The reality is you cannot have 30+
          students in your class. You need to bring it down to
          a manageable level. Some will not be having art this
          round. So the decision needs to be made and then you
          can move on with a productive less stressful year.

          I do understand the frustration of the decision not to
          have all the 30+ but it is not realistic and not
          productive for you or students.

          From your post you are a very passionate teacher, your
          concern is always with the students welfare and the
          need for students to have a great experience in art.
          Do what will make you happy but will also serve your
          students well.

          Jeff (Minnesota)

          Sick sense of humor? Visit Yahoo! TV's
          http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/222
        • Act Silly 4 Art
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
            Thanks Jeff, Anna and Jen for your kind words and feedback.

            Yes, there is a policy on classroom capacity which is 30 for any class above 2nd grade.  Administration did not anticipate Art ever having more than 20 students.  See, I started my Visual Arts program 5 years ago under the PTG rumblings that students who did not choose Band or Hawaiian Music got stuck in Study Hall for 90-minutes doing nothing. My program was actually the class for "rejects" as my first students told me.  The Band and Hawaiian Music program have always been the "jewel" of the school which draws enrollment but there has been a shift in the last 5 years. The school won the National Education Excellent Award for Academics 5 years ago and that now became the catalyst that draws enrollment and along the way my program's enrollment has slowly increased allowing each Special to have an evenly distributed amount of students in each program. So, this sudden increase has made Admin aware that Art is no longer the "babysitter" program for rejects but a viable program that students do want to take.

            As for the Administration... yes this is their fault and they acknowledge that they should have had policies in place to prevent the overcrowding in the Art program.  What I've been told is that because there was nothing in place I may have to either 1) split the group in half taking each for 45 minutes at a time.  Or 2) split the group and take half once a week for 90-minutes.  So, instead of having art twice a week for 90-minutes it will either be reduced or only once a week. Next year, Admin will definetly make sure there is a cap at 25.

            As for the psychopathic teacher... again, my Administration is at fault with this. The joke is that our school has a sign above the building that reads "Psychos need apply"... there are others in my school besides her and my guess is that with the teacher shortage in our state they will take anyone willing to fill that space. The lady is a good teacher but she also has a terrible temper. I would love for Admin to talk to her about her behavior but they won't they're too afraid they won't be able to fill that position.

            cat

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
              Re: [art_education] Pure Ranting about the 1st Week of School - long post The principal should be in charge of who is cut and who remains and how to solve the situation...this should not be your problem...it is totally administrative that 33 kids were allowed to sign up at all. Not your problem!!! Tell him...SOLVE This. I have teaching to take care of.
              (Or they can hire a part time art teacher to teach one class a day in a  separate facility. (Right, it doesn’t make sense.))
              And your Hawaiian music teacher sounds like she needs a spanking (LOL). The principal should put a quick stop to her ranting.
              Who’s in charge at your school, anyway? Hang in there!!!!

              On  8/4/07 3:03 AM,  Act Silly 4 Art  actsilly4art@...  wrote:

[...]

              Pinpoint customers  <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=48250/*http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/arp/sponsoredsearch_v9.php?o=US2226&cmp=Yahoo&ctv=AprNI&s=Y&s2=EM&b=50> who are looking for what you sell.

            • Kristi Gilleland
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 4, 2007
                 Hi.  I'm a homeschool mom with an 11 year old boy.  I read this list for ideas, and I thought perhaps some art teachers might benefit from some documentation I did on my son's passion, game design.  It is a 'how we've done it' so far post.  Maybe it will help identify some resources.  I'm just C&Ping below.  A lot of homeschoolers are always asking about this.  Feel free to share it with anyone that might benefit from it.

                My son got interested in game design when I myself was in college and was assigned a board game.  He was 6 or 7 and worked so hard to make his own game along side me.  I never did quite understand how his worked, lol, but it was his 'precious' for years.  I think art teachers never know exactly WHO they are sparking passion in sometimes!
                -Kristi G.

                 For the record, my son is 11 and has worked very seriously on gaming design this last year.  My background is in computer security and systems administration.  I do a lot with graphics, but I've never been into gaming, so I've had to learn a lot with him.  We are secular homeschoolers.

                He works alone for the most part, and often I just do what I can to help find resources. I'm fine with the graphics, but for a lot of the gaming and animation, we've attacked it together by going through books one chapter at a time. Somehow, between the two of us, we've been making headway. At this time, he has learned to fully modify the two games mentioned below but has not yet delved into networking the customized games. In the process, he's gained vital insight into the ways that computer programs run, and picked up a good bit of art and math.

                Now, most of these resources feature violent games. I want to warn you about that. However, I'm not sure that violence could really be avoided in the pursuit of this type of profession? Also, this sort of pursuit does take a LOT of time at the pc. Strong reading & research skills are a MUST.

                He's learned Flash 5.0. We went with the older version because it was more affordable for us.  This is a program that is used for animation. It is used also to make commercials, video animation, websites, ect.  Some of the MUGEN files are Flash based.

                He used:
                Flash 5.0 for Dummies
                Flash 5.0 Classroom in a Book
                Flash 5.0 Magic Actionscripting

                He has learned Photoshop & Image Ready - This is a graphics progam that makes or alters pictures. It is very important for a future game designer to understand how and why graphics are optimized.  The GIMP would be a free open source alternative. Image Ready comes with Photoshop. It is used to change animated picture files(.gif files) and to extract pictures from those types of files.

                He used Photoshop Classroom in a Book (I love this series)

                Now for the actual gaming design and programming:

                M.U.G.E.N.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.U.G.E.N

                MUGEN is a free 2D fighting game engine. It was written for DOS and LINUX.

                This game is modular, and so it is easy to customize. In customizing the settings, music, characters, and behavior files a learner can get a good idea of the file structure and fuctions of a game. As for math, a child needs to understand the cartesian coordinate system.

                There are no books that I know of for this - but lots of websites with info.

                DOOM II is an old game from 1994. It is a first-person shooter video game created by id Software. The full source code has been released. This is what makes this type of game so great for learners - if they want, they can study the finished product and play with the code, in addition to editing the modules.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doom_II

                Books:

                The Doom Hacker's Guide by Hank Leukart (1995)
                Tricks of the Doom Programming Gurus  These books feature software that is useful for editing maps and files.

                http://doom.wikia.com/wiki/Entryway Has a link to the source code, as well as modification information.

                DOOM is available to play online with other players, which can be used help to teach the networking essentials of game programming. There are also sci-fi story books written around the DOOM games, which Sage has enjoyed reading.

                This is a solid start to the real world of game design and programming.

                My son is also working with 3D animation, but currently we are on the verge of surpassing our computing power, even though my son's computer is only a year old.  The 3D programs, like Blender 3D and MAYA (both free to learn on) need the fastest computers possible.  The better you get at them, and the more detailed your drawings, the more computing power they take.  We dropped back to older versions to help out with this.  Also, here's a big hint - the older programs are cheaper, and often you can get the books FREE or nearly free.

              • Ken
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 5, 2007
                  No wonder why none of the parents wanted their children to move to a
                  music class taught by a psychopath. Everyone wants to escape this
                  teacher. I would say that you would be safe to ignore her rants as she
                  is clearly a brick short of a load. Her elevator doesn't go to the top
                  floor. I would think that nothing you could do would change anything
                  with her.

                  Secondly, your principal goofed big time and should be the one to
                  solve this problem- not you.

                  Ken

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Act Silly 4 Art

                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 5, 2007
                    Kristi,

                    I am very impressed. Obviously you have a child protege on your hands.
                    Tell your son that he's welcome to submit material for the video game
                    design page at http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/jobs/video.html.

                    Ken