Re: [art_education] Digest Number 318

  • Sara
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2003
      Judy this maybe too basic or long?

      Kindergarten Yarn Learning 10-3-03

      One thing I did with kindergarten students was to use rug hooking yarn
      strips which come in bundles about 31/2 inches long.

      Day One
      Read a book about lines

      I called out a line then drew it in the air then I called out a line and
      everyone drew in the air

      Praised certain children on their lines or behavior while drawing lines.

      Then I showed them a poster board that I applied contact paper sticky side
      up. I took out a plastic zip lock baggy with brown rug hooking yarn strips.
      I made different lines, some shapes,
      simple house with the strips

      Then I asked them if they were ready to make some roads, hills, mountains,
      and houses etc. I called them out and we drew them in the air.

      I reminded the students that:
      *today they were just practicing ( not keeping their work)
      *They would be seating on the floor to do their lines,,roads ..... on top of
      a colored piece of paper. I demonstrated

      I said a few magic words and said body basics.

      I told them I was looking for students who followed directions, who were
      kind to our tools (no bending paper or wadding up yarn) and who cleaned up
      well. I sprinkled a little glitter on some students.

      When I called a students name and they had body basics and were quiet I gave
      them a large sheet of colored laminated construction paper and a sandwich
      size zip baggie of one color yarn strips. I told them to find a quiet
      seating space on the floor not close to another student.

      When I called their name and they did not have body basics and/or were not
      quiet. I ignored them and went to the next student.

      I let the students create roads, hills etc
      on their paper with yarn strips.

      When it was clean up time. I did the stop and clean up procedure.
      As I walk around and say softly, put your finger on your nose and get ready.
      I look for a finger on all noses.Then louder I count to 5 and say body
      basics.

      Today I was looking for students who followed directions, who were kind to
      our tools (no bending paper or wadding up yarn).

      After Tom and Mary who did great put their yarn pieces in their bags, They
      will help me gather your filled bags in the bucket and put the papers
      carefully in a pile on the clean up table.

      I build on this line yarn strip theme
      for 3-4 classes by using some of these:
      *reading other line, color, shape books
      * playing follow the leader with Mrs. Scheid as leader and all the students
      in single file we create student made lines and shapes
      *using different colors of yarn
      * learning to name and sort in piles by color or warm colors or.... and put
      back into the correct bag
      * using all your strips to make shape design so all strips touch another
      *learning about different blues
      *talking about primary colors
      *talking about basic shapes
      *learning to bend pipe cleaners to make different lines and shapes
      *using small cloth/felt basic shapes
      * using buttons
      with the yarn strips

      Later in the year I would return to this theme several times for one to two
      classes.

      The kids loved learning to make their own castles, cities, people, working
      with a partner......

      Later I set up a strip of contact paper with sticky side up at their height
      on the wall to create a class mural using yarn strips,pipe cleaner,and cloth
      shapes

      Fun and learning was accomplished by all.

      Later in March I would ask the students if they would like to take home a
      bag of yarn strips to practice their shapes, lines, sorting and create
      pictures. I gave them a bag of different colors and metallic yarn strips to
      take home to keep.

      I took pictures of each student working at different times to put up later
      on a bulletin board. I also, used some of these pictures for their Art
      portfolio assessment. Later I gave one picture to take home as a reward.

      Sara