Re:lessons for a long term leave

  • Rivka Kehaty
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
      Dear Jill,

      Congrats on your upcoming "creative project"!....

      Just wondering- why are they using an art substitute that has no art experience?  Isn't there an experienced "art person" in the community who can teach who might want to sub for a few months?

      Where do you store your supplies?  Can you or the school invest in a metal cabinet that locks?  I don't think they are so expensive.  Give the key only to the sub.

      To prepare for a 'non-art' person subbing, I have 4 suggestions.

      1.  Make as many "lesson kits" as you can.  One lesson per box, or bag, with an instruction sheet and materials (or the whereabouts of each supply needed).  I worked with an art teacher one year who used Unit boxes.  If he taught a unit on Japansese Art he just opened his beautifully painted wooden "Japanese Art" box and inside were all the supplies and written directions for the students.

      2.  One year my class did a handmade book project that lasted for-ev-er.  Each page was a different art technique.  Perhaps before you go away you can get them started by instructing them on the construction of the actual book, then the sub will take over with a different art experience for each page.  You could have an instruction/suggestion sheet written up for each page in the book.  Or you could just use old books for an altered art book project.

      3.  "Long lasting projects" like weaving or stitchery often take many many class periods.

      4.  Schedule some 'guest artists' to come in (the sub would still be in the room).  I've had a calligrapher come in.  I have a friend who does Polariod transfer prints.  She came in one day and the kids took polariod photos and made prints that day.  We used the "mistakes" as collage papers.  Know anyone that can teach embroidery or needlework design?  A quilter that can get them started on a quilt square?

      Good luck!
      Rivka

      Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.
    • Jill Daugherty
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
            Thank you! The lesson boxes sound like a brilliant idea. Weaving is simple enough for a  sub to understand but will take students a long time to figure out.
             The reason I don't think I will be able to find and art sub, is because my school is also having a difficult time finding a second art teacher. I work for a charter school that has rediculous hours and I think it is a real turn off for potential teachers. I am going to email the education and art departments of some of the local universities to see if there are any students who would be ready for a long term subbing position.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 5, 2007
          I am currently on a long term leave.  It began in February and will end in January, 08.  My school hired an artist as my sub.  But she is an artist who has already proven herself in the classroom.  THere is a Science teacher in my school who took a long term leave.  They hired a woman who was basically clueless for her, despite her resume of a lot of experience teaching Science.  My sub was a dream.  I have a gazillion of the powerpoints I had thankfully already created and have been using for the past three or four years that are all on CD.  She did not have to go digging for visuals, she could print the Powerpoints out and put them on the wall to refer back to after the lesson began, and she had clear instrunctions for each lessons written out in the Powerpoints.  Since I gave her this copy of my CD with all of my potential curriculum on it, she could punt in any situation.  Although I gave her a syllabus, I explained to her that the CD I was giving her had WAAAAAY more great lessons on it than I could possibily ever teach in two or THREE years!  IF she saw something else on there that grabbed her expertise or enthusiasm, she could definitely substitute it for something else I put in the syllabus as long as it fit into a balanced curriculum.  she shopped for me, she kept my room in perfect order, and she let me RELAX on my leave, as I was supposed to do.  (I'm almost finished with my chemo!!!!!!  I still have another non bc related surgery and radiation to go in the fall)  There were also plenty of things on the CD for one day projects for her to use in situations where she needed that.  The Science teacher's experience with her sub was a nightmare.  She could not control the kids, she had to ask a gazillion questions about everything that she was expected to do, and she needed complete instructions for even basic stuff.  She had to micromanage her sub.  I wanted to stay in some touch with my students, so I would come in on the days we were in town (I was in my farmhouse away from Houston after between treatments, but was in town on T, W, TH am.)  I made it a point to drop in  and see what she needed on one of those days when I was in town.  Since she was told she would be writing comments and grading for me during that time, I photographed everything the kids did and dropped those photos into a digital portfolio for her.  She took notes on behavior and work habits, but she had the digital portfolios at grading time to help her make global decisions.  Since I had the portfolios as well and really know my students, I ended up writing the comments for one grade per trimester.  She looked over the comments and made any suggestions for changes and additions.  I never did see the sixth grade class she had, so she wrote those comments based upon previous year's samples, and she did a great job on them.  Like I said, it was a dream.  IN fact,she did such a great job being me, that I had an eerie feeling of "Oh my gosh, I could be replaceable!"  The projects, for the most part, looked like I had taught them.  OF course, we would talk on the phone prior to new units starting.  I gave her the perils and pitfalls talk for each project so she would know what to anticipate.  Most of the units were 2-3 weeks long, though one of the fifth grade units and all of the sixth grade units were longer.  She was a quick student, for sure.  I told her what she needed to hear from me, and she always seemed to internalize it and be able to make it her own.  IN several cases, where she had not worked with clay much , and where she had not worked with metal etching (we dropped the cutting out and the jewelry for the term and substituted something much less worrisome in its place), I was able to teach her the project, she did it, and then she very adeptly taught it.  I also was kept in the loop with interoffice email and communication so I knew what she needed in that regard as well and made sure she understood.  She hung artwork, took it down, passed it back on time.  I was VERY lucky.  She also took all of my duties like carpool and lunch bunch.  Essentially, I was able to hand her a total package that was visual and had complete instructions.  She knew where all my supplies were as she had subbed for me many times previously.  She knew the drill.  All three of her children had been my students and are now in college, one in art at Berkley!

          SO, I hope this was helpful.  It's crucial that your sub spend time talking to you throughout the sojourn, but you should not have to worry about your stuff and your classroom management while she is there.  You should not have to micromanage her.  Maybe she can come into the classroom as an observer for a week or less before you go on leave.  That would help.  Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!
          Linda

          Linda
        • Jill Daugherty
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 5, 2007
            Thank you Linda! I appreciate the advise. I like the idea of using power points to help suppliment the lesson plans that have been already written out. I hope everything continues to go well with you recovery and treatment.

            Thanks again!
            Jill in St. Louis