Re: Learning Contracts

  • piketeach7
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
      Jeff,
      I like your idea about student developed themes. Could you share
      some the themes and perhaps how students adressed them.

      Thanks,
      Terry

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Pridie <jeffpridie@...>

      ______________
      > Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
      you all the tools to get online.

    • Jeff Pridie
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
        Terry,

        During the first part of the semester and calling on
        past knowledge from middle school and elementary the
        class spends time analyzing a variety of paintings,
        drawings, scupltures etc. and they determine the
        possible theme for the work. This is a good exercise
        for them to think in broad terms. They work in groups
        of three or five (depending on the size of the class).
        They are given sets of images and decide how they
        might group them into themes they decide on. We look
        at old and new artworks.

        Students then are asked to evaluate and journal on
        specific themes they might feel connected to. I
        advice them sometimes it is best to start with what
        you are familiar with. So students might pick
        transportation, family, amimals, plants, war, peace,
        sports, vacation, etc. Students are then asked to
        look at each theme and consider how they might
        represent that in a subject. The subject can be
        something they create from their heads or from
        original photographs or plans. Students spend time
        putting together their subjects. Students are
        reminded that they can change the theme only if they
        can justify the reason for the change. They may
        change the subjects anytime explaining why the subject
        was not working. Students are told the selection of
        the theme and subjects is one of the most critical
        processes they will be asked to do. The selection of
        the theme and subjects sets the stage for the
        motivation in the project, the decision on mediums and
        a final product. I try to help students to come to
        understand just putting paint, chalk, pencil on a
        piece of paper might just be the easiest part of
        creation process. The hard part is making the
        decisions on what to do, what to do it in and assess
        how one is doing and how to improve it.

        Jeff (minnesota)

      • mgalyk
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
          Jeff,

          Thank you for your response. This sounds very much like what I want to
          do. I think I will have to ease them into it slowly to get them used to
          the idea of being self-directed.

          Do you have a form they fill out for their theme/projects proposal? (And
          would you be willing to share it?) Do you have other forms you use -
          to keep track of points, plan the timeline, etc.? I am worried about how
          to keep them on track. I want them to write their own rubrics for
          project goals. They are already used to being given a rubric by me at
          the beginning of a project.

          I like your idea of the students basing their work around their own
          chosen theme. I have been working on a list of generalized themes
          (garnered from several sources) to help them explore new areas. Of
          course they would be welcome to come up with their own ideas too. :-)

          Thanks again for your help.

          Marianne in Ohio

          wrote:

          > Marianne,
          >
          > This is how I run my program. Students in the second
          > half of a semester long Studio Class do the following.
          > First they must develop a theme for a body of work.
          > They are reminded Themes should be broad in order for
          > them not to get stuck not having enough subject matter
          > to work with.
          >
          > They have five projects to do in ten weeks. They must
          > select the subject matter. They select the mediums.
          > They select the size. They create a time line to
          > manage their time.

        • Jennifer Blair
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
            I'm finding this topic very interesting. I'm a teaching artist and I have also been involved in democratic education/self-directed learning for many years. I'm always excited when I see my two interests and passions intersecting for other folks as well.

            If I may add my two cents... first I would suggest offering tools to help your students organize their time and stay on track but not require it.  Depending on the student and how controlled their education has been, making the transition to self-direction can can vary in difficulty for them. When kids transition from a structured school to one that is completely self-initiated it usually takes them about a year to decompress, come to trust and validate their own interests and direction and start exploring their ideas. I think writing their own rubrics is a great idea, it gives them the opportunity to think about how they want to assess their work.

            I think its also important to keep in mind that artists have different processes. Some may start with a theme and create a body of work, some may create the work and then discover the theme. If we are to provide kids with authentic art making experiences its important to make room for their individual creative processes.

            Thanks for letting me share,

            Jennifer Blair, M.Ed.

            wrote:

            > Marianne,
            >
            > This is how I run my program. Students in the second
            > half of a semester long Studio Class do the following.
            > First they must develop a theme for a body of work.
            > They are reminded Themes should be broad in order for
            > them not to get stuck not having enough subject matter
            > to work with.
            >
            > They have five projects to do in ten weeks. They must
            > select the subject matter. They select the mediums.
            > They select the size. They create a time line to
            > manage their time.

          • Jeff Pridie
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
              Jennifer,

              I will agree with both your statements. Flexibility is
              very important in self-directed structuring of the
              classroom. Learning styles vary among students.
              Giving all students a structure to begin with and then
              adapting it to their individual style has greater
              success.

              I have had students that the timeline creation has
              been a saving grace for them, some it is just a
              reminder and others its a measure of the success they
              are having. Some write very detailed timelines, some
              just jot a word down. They all know that timelines
              change for a variety of reasons. In their final
              assessments to me they write that the timelines was a
              new concept they had not experienced before and that I
              let them have the flexibility on how to approach it.

              I agree artist have different processes for creation
              of works of art but for most of my students having
              them ponder a theme and finding subjects based on
              those themes has given my students the greatest amount
              of success. Again flexibility is another point to
              make here. I have had a few students who get into the
              (flow) of creating works that seem to run a theme
              throughout the whole body of work. They do this
              without first stating a specific theme. The work is
              created from their (core). Again there are very few of
              my students who have mastered that ability. Most of
              these students went on to explore art careers.

              As an artist myself I try to give my students the most
              realistic manner of what it is like to be an artist.
              The focus is not so much on the final work created as
              it is on the "thinking" that takes place to get to
              that point.

              Jeff (minnesota)

              art_education@yahoogroups.com<mailto:art_education@yahoogroups.com>

              art_education@yahoogroups.com<mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com>,
              > Jeff Pridie <jeffpridie@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Marianne,
              > >
              > > This is how I run my program. Students in the
              > second
              > > half of a semester long Studio Class do the
              > following.
              > > First they must develop a theme for a body of
              > work.
              > > They are reminded Themes should be broad in
              > order for
              > > them not to get stuck not having enough subject
              > matter
              > > to work with.
              > >
              > > They have five projects to do in ten weeks. They
              > must
              > > select the subject matter. They select the
              > mediums.
              > > They select the size. They create a time line to
              > > manage their time.

              that gives answers, not web links.