Re: rethinking curriculum in art - what's a "Big Idea?"

  • valjones44
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

      Someone asked the author of the book Rethinking Curriculum in Art,  it is by Marilyn G. Stewart and Sydney R. Walker  (Dr. Stewart is a professor of art education at Kutztown University, PA - my alma mater and Sydney R. Walker is at Ohio State University.  It can be purchased through Davis Publications and is one of their series books of Art Education in Practice.  There are several in the series that are VERY good.  Assessment in Art Education, by Donna Kay Beattie (You may want to read this one if you are embarking on National Boards)  Talking about Student Art by Terry Barrett and Teaching Meaning in Artmaking by Sydney Walker.  I found these to be very helpful for National Board Certification as well.  If you read Teaching Meaning in Artmaking, you can see there is a relationship to Rethinking Curriculum in Art -  both books deal with Big Ideas to make artmaking meaningful to students.

      here is the link for Davis http://www.davisart.com/Portal/Commerce/CommerceDefault.aspx

      or here is their home page  http://www.davisart.com/Portal/Home/HomeDefault.aspx

      hope this helps,

      Val Jones