Re: [art_education] Learning Contracts

  • Jeff Pridie
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 2, 2007
      Marianne,

      This is how I run my program. Students in the second
      half of a semester long Studio Class do the following.

      First they must develop a theme for a body of work.
      They are reminded Themes should be broad in order for
      them not to get stuck not having enough subject matter
      to work with.

      They have five projects to do in ten weeks. They must
      select the subject matter. They select the mediums.
      They select the size. They create a time line to
      manage their time.

      Each project is written up with a photo attached of
      the subject or a sketch. Included with the write up
      is the Theme Title, Subject Title, Medium(s), Size,
      Explanation of why the subject was selected, timeline.

      Students also keep a daily journal writing about the
      project they are working on. They write about three
      things daily: What did they do that day? What they
      thought about what they did/reaction to the work? What
      they thought of someone elses work in the room?

      Students are given points each day for journal entries
      if they include in their responses art terms.

      Students are given points for project write ups.

      Students are given points for each project (focus on
      technique, use of composition)

      Students works are asked to produce original works of
      art. Use original photographs or original designs.
      Original works are ranked higher then copy work.

      Students mat/mount/frame a body of work for the end of
      semester exhibition. Students are to create a
      computer generated posters, invitation, artist
      statement, nametags. Students set up the show, arrange
      the work.

      Students at midquarter have a class assessment of
      progress. Students select a work of art that has been
      completed by another student and talk about the
      qualities of the work that impress them. Students may
      select their own work if they wish. This is an
      example of a verbal response to others works.

      Points are assigned to the poster, invitation, artist
      statement, nametags and how they display the work.

      Each of these things is spelled out in a contract
      along with a rubric on what each thing should look
      like at its highest possible point scale.

      The goals they set can be found in their journal and
      timelines. Responses to their work can be found in
      their journals. Reactions and responses can be found
      in their jounals.

      Hope this helps some. I have been using this format
      for the last 24 years.

      Jeff (Minnesota)
      --- mgalyk <mgalyk@...> wrote:

      > Hi, from Ohio,
      >
      > I would like to introduce learning contracts to my
      > advanced art students
      > this year - sort of "design your own project."
      > Iwould like to know if
      > any of you are using contracts with your high school
      > artists? If so,
      > what format do they take? (Can you post/send an
      > example?) How did you
      > begin the process? How do you get HS students to set
      > appropriate goals
      > for their learning? How do you determine how much
      > needs to be
      > accomplished in a grading period to warrant a grade?
      > Etc., etc., etc.! I
      > have many more questions....
      >
      > Can anyone help me get started?
      >
      > Thanks so much,
      >
      > Marianne

    • piketeach7
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
        Jeff,
        I like your idea about student developed themes. Could you share
        some the themes and perhaps how students adressed them.

        Thanks,
        Terry

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Pridie <jeffpridie@...>

        ______________
        > Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives
        you all the tools to get online.

      • Jeff Pridie
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2007
          Terry,

          During the first part of the semester and calling on
          past knowledge from middle school and elementary the
          class spends time analyzing a variety of paintings,
          drawings, scupltures etc. and they determine the
          possible theme for the work. This is a good exercise
          for them to think in broad terms. They work in groups
          of three or five (depending on the size of the class).
          They are given sets of images and decide how they
          might group them into themes they decide on. We look
          at old and new artworks.

          Students then are asked to evaluate and journal on
          specific themes they might feel connected to. I
          advice them sometimes it is best to start with what
          you are familiar with. So students might pick
          transportation, family, amimals, plants, war, peace,
          sports, vacation, etc. Students are then asked to
          look at each theme and consider how they might
          represent that in a subject. The subject can be
          something they create from their heads or from
          original photographs or plans. Students spend time
          putting together their subjects. Students are
          reminded that they can change the theme only if they
          can justify the reason for the change. They may
          change the subjects anytime explaining why the subject
          was not working. Students are told the selection of
          the theme and subjects is one of the most critical
          processes they will be asked to do. The selection of
          the theme and subjects sets the stage for the
          motivation in the project, the decision on mediums and
          a final product. I try to help students to come to
          understand just putting paint, chalk, pencil on a
          piece of paper might just be the easiest part of
          creation process. The hard part is making the
          decisions on what to do, what to do it in and assess
          how one is doing and how to improve it.

          Jeff (minnesota)

        • mgalyk
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
            Jeff,

            Thank you for your response. This sounds very much like what I want to
            do. I think I will have to ease them into it slowly to get them used to
            the idea of being self-directed.

            Do you have a form they fill out for their theme/projects proposal? (And
            would you be willing to share it?) Do you have other forms you use -
            to keep track of points, plan the timeline, etc.? I am worried about how
            to keep them on track. I want them to write their own rubrics for
            project goals. They are already used to being given a rubric by me at
            the beginning of a project.

            I like your idea of the students basing their work around their own
            chosen theme. I have been working on a list of generalized themes
            (garnered from several sources) to help them explore new areas. Of
            course they would be welcome to come up with their own ideas too. :-)

            Thanks again for your help.

            Marianne in Ohio

            wrote:

            > Marianne,
            >
            > This is how I run my program. Students in the second
            > half of a semester long Studio Class do the following.
            > First they must develop a theme for a body of work.
            > They are reminded Themes should be broad in order for
            > them not to get stuck not having enough subject matter
            > to work with.
            >
            > They have five projects to do in ten weeks. They must
            > select the subject matter. They select the mediums.
            > They select the size. They create a time line to
            > manage their time.

          • Jennifer Blair
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
              I'm finding this topic very interesting. I'm a teaching artist and I have also been involved in democratic education/self-directed learning for many years. I'm always excited when I see my two interests and passions intersecting for other folks as well.

              If I may add my two cents... first I would suggest offering tools to help your students organize their time and stay on track but not require it.  Depending on the student and how controlled their education has been, making the transition to self-direction can can vary in difficulty for them. When kids transition from a structured school to one that is completely self-initiated it usually takes them about a year to decompress, come to trust and validate their own interests and direction and start exploring their ideas. I think writing their own rubrics is a great idea, it gives them the opportunity to think about how they want to assess their work.

              I think its also important to keep in mind that artists have different processes. Some may start with a theme and create a body of work, some may create the work and then discover the theme. If we are to provide kids with authentic art making experiences its important to make room for their individual creative processes.

              Thanks for letting me share,

              Jennifer Blair, M.Ed.

              wrote:

              > Marianne,
              >
              > This is how I run my program. Students in the second
              > half of a semester long Studio Class do the following.
              > First they must develop a theme for a body of work.
              > They are reminded Themes should be broad in order for
              > them not to get stuck not having enough subject matter
              > to work with.
              >
              > They have five projects to do in ten weeks. They must
              > select the subject matter. They select the mediums.
              > They select the size. They create a time line to
              > manage their time.

            • Jeff Pridie
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 5, 2007
                Jennifer,

                I will agree with both your statements. Flexibility is
                very important in self-directed structuring of the
                classroom. Learning styles vary among students.
                Giving all students a structure to begin with and then
                adapting it to their individual style has greater
                success.

                I have had students that the timeline creation has
                been a saving grace for them, some it is just a
                reminder and others its a measure of the success they
                are having. Some write very detailed timelines, some
                just jot a word down. They all know that timelines
                change for a variety of reasons. In their final
                assessments to me they write that the timelines was a
                new concept they had not experienced before and that I
                let them have the flexibility on how to approach it.

                I agree artist have different processes for creation
                of works of art but for most of my students having
                them ponder a theme and finding subjects based on
                those themes has given my students the greatest amount
                of success. Again flexibility is another point to
                make here. I have had a few students who get into the
                (flow) of creating works that seem to run a theme
                throughout the whole body of work. They do this
                without first stating a specific theme. The work is
                created from their (core). Again there are very few of
                my students who have mastered that ability. Most of
                these students went on to explore art careers.

                As an artist myself I try to give my students the most
                realistic manner of what it is like to be an artist.
                The focus is not so much on the final work created as
                it is on the "thinking" that takes place to get to
                that point.

                Jeff (minnesota)

                art_education@yahoogroups.com<mailto:art_education@yahoogroups.com>

                art_education@yahoogroups.com<mailto:art_education%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > Jeff Pridie <jeffpridie@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Marianne,
                > >
                > > This is how I run my program. Students in the
                > second
                > > half of a semester long Studio Class do the
                > following.
                > > First they must develop a theme for a body of
                > work.
                > > They are reminded Themes should be broad in
                > order for
                > > them not to get stuck not having enough subject
                > matter
                > > to work with.
                > >
                > > They have five projects to do in ten weeks. They
                > must
                > > select the subject matter. They select the
                > mediums.
                > > They select the size. They create a time line to
                > > manage their time.

                that gives answers, not web links.