Re: [art_education] Re: rethinking curriculum in art - what's a "Big Idea?"

  • TwoDucks@aol.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007

      In a message dated 7/2/07 9:51:50 AM, neato23 writes:

      my big idea is,  "People do best when their physical, emotional, and spritiual needs are met"

      What a great nugget, Kathleen!!!!  And follows the question for those of us in art education: how can our students have these needs, as diverse as each one of them, met in our classrooms?
      Given the special nature of art making, if not in our classrooms, where?

      kathy douglas
      k-3 massachusetts retired
      TAB Partnership

      **************************************
      See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
    • OLSON, AMANDA
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
        what is the exact name and author of this "big idea book??

        thank you

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
          Elements:
          Line
          Shape
          Form
          Color
          Value
          Space
          Texture

          Principles:
          Balance
          Rythm and Movement
          Pattern
          Emphasis
          Contrast
          Unity

          That is the way I learned them, though many books differ slightly, they amount to about the same end.  I have found that this is the basic knowledge, and I constantly refer back to this in all upper level classes.
          Sherri T
          South Dakota

          Jeff Pridie <jeffpridie@...> wrote:
          Sharon,

          Principles and Elements of Design. The framework of
          many art curriculums.

          Jeff (Minnesota)
          --- beyondskyline <beyondskyline@ yahoo.com> wrote:

          > Can someone please spell out what "P's" and "E's"
          > are?
          >

          > Sharon

          http://searchmarket ing.yahoo. com/

          Sherri T.

          Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

        • Lee & Kathleen Day
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007
            The book I'm reading about Big Ideas (or enduring ideas) is "Rethinking Curriculum in Art" by Marilyn G. Stewart and Sydney R. Walker.  The big idea is what you want your students to go away with.  Convenentional art goals might be: I want my students to be able to recognize Impressionist paintings or They should be able to mix any color.  The big idea takes those skills and puts them under an umbrella:  I want my students to recognize needs common to all human beings so that they can understand others and themselves better. We reinforce this idea again and again through critques of artwork, research, art projects, all of which include the earlier goals.  They may forget names of paintings, but they will remember the bigger idea.

            This book isn't the only one to deal with Big Ideas, but I thought it looked like the one with actual steps and examples to follow.  I hope this discussion helps make us think a little over the summer about our goals for students.  Writing to this group has forced me to go out and DO it (organize the stuff I already had into a big idea unit), and I'm more excited about teaching next year, which I needed. I am happy to get off the project-after-project merry-go-round and  organize classes into meaningful units.  When they study an Impressionist painting, students will be more motivated to do it by concerns they have now--- fitting in, for instance.  I fear I have rambled on too long, though, and thank you for your input.
            Kathleen
          • valjones44
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

              Someone asked the author of the book Rethinking Curriculum in Art,  it is by Marilyn G. Stewart and Sydney R. Walker  (Dr. Stewart is a professor of art education at Kutztown University, PA - my alma mater and Sydney R. Walker is at Ohio State University.  It can be purchased through Davis Publications and is one of their series books of Art Education in Practice.  There are several in the series that are VERY good.  Assessment in Art Education, by Donna Kay Beattie (You may want to read this one if you are embarking on National Boards)  Talking about Student Art by Terry Barrett and Teaching Meaning in Artmaking by Sydney Walker.  I found these to be very helpful for National Board Certification as well.  If you read Teaching Meaning in Artmaking, you can see there is a relationship to Rethinking Curriculum in Art -  both books deal with Big Ideas to make artmaking meaningful to students.

              here is the link for Davis http://www.davisart.com/Portal/Commerce/CommerceDefault.aspx

              or here is their home page  http://www.davisart.com/Portal/Home/HomeDefault.aspx

              hope this helps,

              Val Jones