Re: rethinking curriculum in art - what's a "Big Idea?"

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2 5:26 AM
      I have this book on my list to read and have been hearing of it for a couple of months now.  I teach in a private school in Houston.  Many of our children are fortunate enough to spend long seasons away in Colorado, NM, France, Maine, Canada, etc.  But what I realize now is that even though they may be "away" if the gadgets and things ae with them WHILE they are away, they are not really away.  I just saw a backpack advertised on the Today show.  THey were promoting clever outdoor gadgets.  The backpack had stereo speakers in the shoulder pads and some sort of "must have" musical device in it.  Imagine the delight they will create for their fellow hikers as they blast their way through the wilderness.  Next trip to Borders, this is the book I am buying!    My school takes kids from 5th grade through HS on annual class trips.  While one of them is to Washington DC, the rest of them are outdoor awareness things.  I have been on many of them and I think our kids get a lot out of them as they are not allowed to have their electronic stuff with them.  The focus of these trips is on furthering self-esteem, teamwork, camaraderie, and of course, learning about nature.  I use a lot of nature focus in my classes, but can always do more and look at it in a new way!
      Linda

      Linda