RE: [art_education] Re: rethinking curriculum in art - what's a "Big Idea?"

  • Eileen Ciavarella
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
      I am so glad that I have joined this listserv you all make me think about so
      many things.
      I am in the process of writing curriculum for the first time. I am a
      relatively new teacher and I feel like there is so much more for me to
      learn.
      I identified with everything that you said Patty. I have taught my classes
      the same way. And often I felt like what have the kids really come away
      with. Using "Big Ideas" as the basis of curriculum really makes sense.

      By the way, I always thought I was the only one who could find value in
      every one of the multiple choice answers.

      Eileen

    • Lee & Kathleen Day
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
        We should probably start a support group for people who find value in every answer on multiple choice tests!

        I am almost finished with my first "Big Idea" unit.  To tell the truth, I knew I wanted to/needed to teach some aspects of Asian art and we own a Sumi Brush Painting video, so I began with the end project and worked forwards ("step back").  I always want to open my students' world to diversity, so my big idea is,  "People do best when their physical, emotional, and spritiual needs are met" to show that (as ML King said) "we're all the same color on the inside". It's a rather long unit and maybe it covers too much ground (physical, emoitonal, AND spritual), but it felt good to get one unit done.  I'm rescanning the book (Rethinking the Curriculum in Art) to be sure I'm covering everything.

        I have only been teaching art 3 years (other things 2 years before), and I'm not sure I could have digested the "new" (to me) information before I really understood everything left to me in the supply closet! This theory of the big idea is being taught in colleges, now, though, so maybe it won't be so difficult for the new teachers.  In the back of my mind, I'm thinking of more units on Place, Nature, and Perceived Reality.
        I hope I'm doing this right!
        Kathleen
      • TwoDucks@aol.com
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007

          In a message dated 7/2/07 9:51:50 AM, neato23 writes:

          my big idea is,  "People do best when their physical, emotional, and spritiual needs are met"

          What a great nugget, Kathleen!!!!  And follows the question for those of us in art education: how can our students have these needs, as diverse as each one of them, met in our classrooms?
          Given the special nature of art making, if not in our classrooms, where?

          kathy douglas
          k-3 massachusetts retired
          TAB Partnership

          **************************************
          See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
        • OLSON, AMANDA
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
            what is the exact name and author of this "big idea book??

            thank you

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
              Elements:
              Line
              Shape
              Form
              Color
              Value
              Space
              Texture

              Principles:
              Balance
              Rythm and Movement
              Pattern
              Emphasis
              Contrast
              Unity

              That is the way I learned them, though many books differ slightly, they amount to about the same end.  I have found that this is the basic knowledge, and I constantly refer back to this in all upper level classes.
              Sherri T
              South Dakota

              Jeff Pridie <jeffpridie@...> wrote:
              Sharon,

              Principles and Elements of Design. The framework of
              many art curriculums.

              Jeff (Minnesota)
              --- beyondskyline <beyondskyline@ yahoo.com> wrote:

              > Can someone please spell out what "P's" and "E's"
              > are?
              >

              > Sharon

              http://searchmarket ing.yahoo. com/

              Sherri T.

              Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

            • Lee & Kathleen Day
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007
                The book I'm reading about Big Ideas (or enduring ideas) is "Rethinking Curriculum in Art" by Marilyn G. Stewart and Sydney R. Walker.  The big idea is what you want your students to go away with.  Convenentional art goals might be: I want my students to be able to recognize Impressionist paintings or They should be able to mix any color.  The big idea takes those skills and puts them under an umbrella:  I want my students to recognize needs common to all human beings so that they can understand others and themselves better. We reinforce this idea again and again through critques of artwork, research, art projects, all of which include the earlier goals.  They may forget names of paintings, but they will remember the bigger idea.

                This book isn't the only one to deal with Big Ideas, but I thought it looked like the one with actual steps and examples to follow.  I hope this discussion helps make us think a little over the summer about our goals for students.  Writing to this group has forced me to go out and DO it (organize the stuff I already had into a big idea unit), and I'm more excited about teaching next year, which I needed. I am happy to get off the project-after-project merry-go-round and  organize classes into meaningful units.  When they study an Impressionist painting, students will be more motivated to do it by concerns they have now--- fitting in, for instance.  I fear I have rambled on too long, though, and thank you for your input.
                Kathleen
              • valjones44
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

                  Someone asked the author of the book Rethinking Curriculum in Art,  it is by Marilyn G. Stewart and Sydney R. Walker  (Dr. Stewart is a professor of art education at Kutztown University, PA - my alma mater and Sydney R. Walker is at Ohio State University.  It can be purchased through Davis Publications and is one of their series books of Art Education in Practice.  There are several in the series that are VERY good.  Assessment in Art Education, by Donna Kay Beattie (You may want to read this one if you are embarking on National Boards)  Talking about Student Art by Terry Barrett and Teaching Meaning in Artmaking by Sydney Walker.  I found these to be very helpful for National Board Certification as well.  If you read Teaching Meaning in Artmaking, you can see there is a relationship to Rethinking Curriculum in Art -  both books deal with Big Ideas to make artmaking meaningful to students.

                  here is the link for Davis http://www.davisart.com/Portal/Commerce/CommerceDefault.aspx

                  or here is their home page  http://www.davisart.com/Portal/Home/HomeDefault.aspx

                  hope this helps,

                  Val Jones