"P's" and "E's"

  • beyondskyline
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
      Can someone please spell out what "P's" and "E's" are?

      Sharon
    • Jeff Pridie
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
        Sharon,

        Principles and Elements of Design. The framework of
        many art curriculums.

        Jeff (Minnesota)
        --- beyondskyline <beyondskyline@...> wrote:

        > Can someone please spell out what "P's" and "E's"
        > are?
        >

        > Sharon

        http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
      • Eileen Ciavarella
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 1, 2007
          I am so glad that I have joined this listserv you all make me think about so
          many things.
          I am in the process of writing curriculum for the first time. I am a
          relatively new teacher and I feel like there is so much more for me to
          learn.
          I identified with everything that you said Patty. I have taught my classes
          the same way. And often I felt like what have the kids really come away
          with. Using "Big Ideas" as the basis of curriculum really makes sense.

          By the way, I always thought I was the only one who could find value in
          every one of the multiple choice answers.

          Eileen

        • Lee & Kathleen Day
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
            We should probably start a support group for people who find value in every answer on multiple choice tests!

            I am almost finished with my first "Big Idea" unit.  To tell the truth, I knew I wanted to/needed to teach some aspects of Asian art and we own a Sumi Brush Painting video, so I began with the end project and worked forwards ("step back").  I always want to open my students' world to diversity, so my big idea is,  "People do best when their physical, emotional, and spritiual needs are met" to show that (as ML King said) "we're all the same color on the inside". It's a rather long unit and maybe it covers too much ground (physical, emoitonal, AND spritual), but it felt good to get one unit done.  I'm rescanning the book (Rethinking the Curriculum in Art) to be sure I'm covering everything.

            I have only been teaching art 3 years (other things 2 years before), and I'm not sure I could have digested the "new" (to me) information before I really understood everything left to me in the supply closet! This theory of the big idea is being taught in colleges, now, though, so maybe it won't be so difficult for the new teachers.  In the back of my mind, I'm thinking of more units on Place, Nature, and Perceived Reality.
            I hope I'm doing this right!
            Kathleen
          • TwoDucks@aol.com
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007

              In a message dated 7/2/07 9:51:50 AM, neato23 writes:

              my big idea is,  "People do best when their physical, emotional, and spritiual needs are met"

              What a great nugget, Kathleen!!!!  And follows the question for those of us in art education: how can our students have these needs, as diverse as each one of them, met in our classrooms?
              Given the special nature of art making, if not in our classrooms, where?

              kathy douglas
              k-3 massachusetts retired
              TAB Partnership

              **************************************
              See what's free at http://www.aol.com.
            • OLSON, AMANDA
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
                what is the exact name and author of this "big idea book??

                thank you

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 2, 2007
                  Elements:
                  Line
                  Shape
                  Form
                  Color
                  Value
                  Space
                  Texture

                  Principles:
                  Balance
                  Rythm and Movement
                  Pattern
                  Emphasis
                  Contrast
                  Unity

                  That is the way I learned them, though many books differ slightly, they amount to about the same end.  I have found that this is the basic knowledge, and I constantly refer back to this in all upper level classes.
                  Sherri T
                  South Dakota

                  --- beyondskyline <beyondskyline@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                  > Can someone please spell out what "P's" and "E's"
                  > are?
                  >

                  > Sharon

                  http://searchmarket ing.yahoo. com/

                  Sherri T.

                  Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

                • Lee & Kathleen Day
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007
                    The book I'm reading about Big Ideas (or enduring ideas) is "Rethinking Curriculum in Art" by Marilyn G. Stewart and Sydney R. Walker.  The big idea is what you want your students to go away with.  Convenentional art goals might be: I want my students to be able to recognize Impressionist paintings or They should be able to mix any color.  The big idea takes those skills and puts them under an umbrella:  I want my students to recognize needs common to all human beings so that they can understand others and themselves better. We reinforce this idea again and again through critques of artwork, research, art projects, all of which include the earlier goals.  They may forget names of paintings, but they will remember the bigger idea.

                    This book isn't the only one to deal with Big Ideas, but I thought it looked like the one with actual steps and examples to follow.  I hope this discussion helps make us think a little over the summer about our goals for students.  Writing to this group has forced me to go out and DO it (organize the stuff I already had into a big idea unit), and I'm more excited about teaching next year, which I needed. I am happy to get off the project-after-project merry-go-round and  organize classes into meaningful units.  When they study an Impressionist painting, students will be more motivated to do it by concerns they have now--- fitting in, for instance.  I fear I have rambled on too long, though, and thank you for your input.
                    Kathleen
                  • valjones44
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jul 3, 2007

                      Someone asked the author of the book Rethinking Curriculum in Art,  it is by Marilyn G. Stewart and Sydney R. Walker  (Dr. Stewart is a professor of art education at Kutztown University, PA - my alma mater and Sydney R. Walker is at Ohio State University.  It can be purchased through Davis Publications and is one of their series books of Art Education in Practice.  There are several in the series that are VERY good.  Assessment in Art Education, by Donna Kay Beattie (You may want to read this one if you are embarking on National Boards)  Talking about Student Art by Terry Barrett and Teaching Meaning in Artmaking by Sydney Walker.  I found these to be very helpful for National Board Certification as well.  If you read Teaching Meaning in Artmaking, you can see there is a relationship to Rethinking Curriculum in Art -  both books deal with Big Ideas to make artmaking meaningful to students.

                      here is the link for Davis http://www.davisart.com/Portal/Commerce/CommerceDefault.aspx

                      or here is their home page  http://www.davisart.com/Portal/Home/HomeDefault.aspx

                      hope this helps,

                      Val Jones