schedule question

  • Kelli Wilke
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
      Hi everyone,
      I have a strange situation in my schedule for this coming school year.  We have switched our exploratory schedules from short 6 and 7 week classes to all 9 week classes (thank goodness).  Because of the switch, it just happened to work out that I have an extra hour in the morning for the first semester where I have no class, and my prep hour is in the afternoon.  My principal is aware of this fact and told me to think of a way that they can utilize me during this time.  They won't let me use this as extra prep time (no matter how much I need it).  I need to come up with some good ideas to share with them, otherwise I will be at their mercy to how they are going to use me.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  I think having another class is out of the question.  I'd appreciate any feedback on this situation.

      Thanks,
      Kelli in NE

    • Julie Casebourn
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
           This same issue came up at my school with my schedule.  If you can't do another class, how about using that period as a consultation hour.  I have used that "extra" time to meet with teachers that want to collaborate.  I usually make appointments with them and go to their room with notepad and ideas and plan lessons that overlap with what they are doing in the classroom.
            Last year I used this extra time to meet once a week with the music teacher (we were in the same boat with an extra period) and we designed a really neat project based on our year-long study of African art and music and then presented a program that showcased our collaborative efforts to the community.  Just that bit of time helped push our efforts to a whole new level with teaching/learning, GREAT PR for the school too.
            There are all kinds of research and studies out there that could support this idea pitch to your principal.
            I hope this helps

        Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@...> wrote:
[...]

        Don't pick lemons.
        See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

      • cen_aca_dp
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
          >===== Original Message From Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@...> =====
          >Hi everyone,
          > I have a strange situation in my schedule for this coming school year. We
          have switched our exploratory schedules from short 6 and 7 week classes to all
          9 week classes (thank goodness). Because of the switch, it just happened to
          work out that I have an extra hour in the morning for the first semester where
          I have no class, and my prep hour is in the afternoon. My principal is aware
          of this fact and told me to think of a way that they can utilize me during
          this time. They won't let me use this as extra prep time (no matter how much
          I need it). I need to come up with some good ideas to share with them,
          otherwise I will be at their mercy to how they are going to use me. Does
          anyone have any suggestions? I think having another class is out of the
          question. I'd appreciate any feedback on this situation.

          This happened to me for one year until a teacher retired & I gained a class.
          My principal had me be the yearbook coordinator & also utilized me for
          "special projects" around the school. You know, a poster here, a mural there.
          LOL.

          Denise Pannell

          Apache Kids'Art now online!

          http://natepannell.memory-of.com/
          "There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart. Ghandi"
        • linda mcconaughy
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 26, 2007
            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@...> wrote:

            > Hi everyone,
            > I have a strange situation in my schedule for this coming school
            year.

            Display time is legit. Think about how much time you spend prepping
            and hanging artwork in your school.
          • Hillary Andrlik
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 26, 2007
              We were exploring this issue as a department not to long ago. We thought of helping in the computer lab as needed. Of course this depends on your comfort level with technology, but it could give you time to work on computer based lessons when students don't need assistance.

              Hillary

              On 6/26/07, linda mcconaughy <lmcconaughy@...> wrote:

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@...> wrote:

              > Hi everyone,
              > I have a strange situation in my schedule for this coming school
              year.

              .

            • Terri Noell
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 26, 2007
                I would suggest using this time for an "Art Club"...this could be worked out
                with the teachers as a behavior modification project for the students who
                need a reason to get their other class work finished and give them a goal to
                go for...I did this 3 years ago and haven't had the open time since then to
                have it...but, the students and teachers still beg me to start it up
                again!....
                my 2 cents worth...
                Terri
                preK-5th Florida

              • nbester4
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 26, 2007
                  --- I am very much interested in the Art Club. I need some more
                  information and input for you if you do not mind.

                  Thanks

                  Nakarsha Bester
                  K3-5th Georgia

                  In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Terri Noell" <daisymae91@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I would suggest using this time for an "Art Club"...this could be
                  worked out
                  > with the teachers as a behavior modification project for the
                  students who
                  > need a reason to get their other class work finished and give them
                  a goal to
                  > go for...I did this 3 years ago and haven't had the open time
                  since then to
                  > have it...but, the students and teachers still beg me to start it
                  up
                  > again!....
                  > my 2 cents worth...
                  > Terri
                  > preK-5th Florida

                  > Need a break? Find your escape route with Live Search Maps.
                  > http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?ss=Restaurants~Hotels~Amusement%
                  20Park&cp=33.832922~-117.915659&style=r&lvl=13&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-
                  1000&scene=1118863&encType=1&FORM=MGAC01

                • nbester4
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 26, 2007

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
                      Everyone,
                      Thank you for all your suggestions about how to fill my schedule.  I plan to put a short proposal together with all your ideas and present it to my principal.  I hope that she will see the need and take some of these ideas instead of just putting me wherever.

                      Kelli in NE

                      Becky Thornton <artswim@...> wrote:
                      Maybe you could help with bulletin boards around the school and the parent center.
                      Becky Thornton

                      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?