Bones songs to tie in with your "Days of the Dead" (if you want)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2003
      (World - this is for USA members doing Days of the Dead and Halloween - some
      members are teaching in schools where they can say Lord)

      Dear Friends in Art Education,

      First to my African American friends...I mean no disrespect to African
      American culture in this post - I LOVE these traditional songs. We even
      learned "Dem Bones" in elementary school when I was a kid - It was a
      favorite - We acted it out as we sang. (Just delete now if not interested -
      long post).

      Many of you are doing skeleton projects for Days of the Dead. I don't think
      it would be disrespectful to tie in some African American spirituals (for
      those who can). Some of you do skeleton projects for Halloween - tie these
      songs in. Correct the grammar if you want to - the kids won't know the
      difference. The songs are in public domain. I won't be posting more bones
      songs - these are just two that I know.

      There are two that I can think of:

      The famous African-American Spiritual 'Dry Bones' derives from Ezekiel's
      vision of a 'valley full of bones'.

      Dem Bones (not a page to take kids to - this is just for lyrics for you)
      http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=Dem%20Bones
      (your music people would be able to direct you to the tune)

      Even help with scientific names:
      http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/anatomy/skeleton/Labelskeleton.sht
      ml
      rewrite the words of Dem Bones putting in the scientific names.

      I'm not the only one who sees this as a way to teach kids the skeleton:
      http://www.dinobone.com/ask/dembones.html

      A favorite I had when I was growing up was "Dem Bones Gonna Rise Again" - I
      couldn't find the origin of this - but it has to be an African American
      spiritual due to the call and response format. (A "Creation" song).

      Here are lyrics closer to the ones we sang:
      http://ingeb.org/spiritua/dembones.html
      http://www.acronet.net/~robokopp/usa/dembones.htm
      similar:
      http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Glade/8851/s12_2.htm

      Dem Bones

      Chorus:
      I know it brother brother,
      Indeed I know it brother, I know it HEY!
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      The lord he thought he'd make a man.
      DEM BONES GONNA RISE AGAIN!
      So he made Adam cordin' to a plan.
      DEM BONES GONNA RISE AGAIN!

      Repeat chorus:

      Thought he'd make a woman too.
      The Lord didn't know just what to do.
      Took a rib from Adam's side.
      For to make Miss Eve, his bride.

      Repeat chorus

      Put 'em in a garden wide and fair.
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      Told 'em to eat what they found there.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      Peaches, pears, plums and such.
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      But the apple tree you better not touch.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      One day Miss Eve was walking around
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      .Spied that tree all loaded down.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      Serpent crawling around that trunk.
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      At miss Eve, his eye he wunk.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      Eve, she just took a little pull.
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      Then she filled her fig leaf full.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      Adam, he just took a little bite.
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      Said um'um woman that sure am nice.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      One day the Lord was walking around.
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      Spied them peels all over the ground.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      The Lord cried out in his mighty voice.
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      That shook the heavens to the joists.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      Cried, Adam, Adam, Where art though?
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      Here I is Lord, I's comin' now.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      Adam, Adam, did you eat these?
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      No massa Lord, I 'spect it was Eve.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      Then the Lord rose up in his might wrath,
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      Said ya'll just beat it down the path.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      Put an angel at the door.
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      Said ya'll don't come 'round here no more.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      Eve took the needle, Adam took the plow.
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      That's why we're all working now.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Repeat chorus

      To this tale there ain't no more.
      Dem bones gonna rise again
      Eve got the Apple, and Adam got the core.
      Dem bones gonna rise again

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Jdecker@...
      http://www.incredibleart.tk