How can I contain students excitement about painting so they do it correctly?

  • gustergirl_1227
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5 11:19 AM
      I teach 5th graders in 4 week cycles. In that small time we complete a
      2D, 3D and a relief project which is an abstract collage. The students
      used a cardboard base then attach materials with glue. They then paint
      it with gesso then black paint. The final day they get to add metallic
      highlights to the project. It looks great with the metallic paint but
      the students are SO excited about painting that when they get their
      brushes and paint trays everything I just said and demonstrated goes
      out the window. Is there something Im not thinking of that would help
      with this? I thought of giving each student a small piece of a larger
      collage cut up so they could practice. Any other suggestions
      appreciated!!
    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5 12:18 PM
        gustergirl,

        Metallic AND paint- who can balme them! Giving them smaller brushes or a limit to
        metallic spots might work... I think your idea of having them experiment with collage
        scraps would work. You could do a round robin with the sheets and then cut them into
        ATCs when they are dry. My two cents (and boy do I have a penny collection!) Ali