Painting time

  • Greg Hogan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 4, 2007
      I work with Jr High students, and this past year I really had one of the worst years with painting projects.  No matter what management technique I used I still ended up with paint brushes left unclean and not washed out.  Does anyone have any suggestions for next year to make sure students wash out their brushes and keep them clean?
      Thanks for your ideas,
      Greg, Arkansas
    • Vicki Kolden
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2007
        Greg,
        I had the same problem too.  What I did was set up a calendar and put 2 students every day in charge of monitoring the sink.  It worked pretty well.   they would "stand guard" to make sure everyone did what they were supposed to do and not just throw brushes and palettes in the sink.
        Vickie in Minnesota
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2007
          Hello!
          What kid of paint are you using?  If it is tempera or acrylic I would suggest:

          a.  demonstrate how one washes the brushes.
          b.  state your expectations
          c.  allow time for cleaning brushes...you can't expect clean brushes if you only give them 10 min's. cleanup time unless you have more than one sink
          d.  stand watch by the sink for the first few weeks of class to make sure kids are cleaning the brushes correctly, then see what happens when left on their own
          e.  if brushes begin to look misused, keep reminding students of your expectations and stay watchful and say something directly to those who aren't following your directives.

          I teach painting classes (high school) and brush use/care is an issue all the time.  There are always going to be students who don't care.  And you can't watch everybody all of the time-impossible.  So expect to find some brushes still loaded with paint.  If you want to save brushes from year to year (brushes are very expensive and I'm very anal about wasteful use of materials) then you need to check each day and clean those that were left uncleaned. I tell the kids to lay their "cleaned" brushes off to one side of the sink.  Then, when they've left the room, I give all the brushes one final, quick cleaning in detergent and lay them down to dry out.  Most of the time I'd say that 95% of the class does a pretty good job of it.  At the end of the year, I'll take ALL brushes and use a good cleaner to really clean them all, one last time before tucking them away in the storage closet.  One year I assigned sets of brushes to each student and each student was required to bring a small tackle box to store them in(and other misc. art supplies). They were responsible for their brush set's care for the term.  At the end of the term, they received a grade for brush care by what condition their set was in when they handed them back.  The only problem with this idea is storage.  When you have multiple numbers of paint classes, there is no room to store all the tackle boxes!

          When using oil paint, it's even more time consuming.  We use Turpenoid for cleaning those brushes.  Students are told to take a paper towel and get as much of the oil out of the brush as possible before cleaning.  Again, there are some who are responsible, and there are ones who aren't.  You can only try to be watchful but there are always moments when you are temporarily distracted and you find, later, some brushes that are left uncleaned.

          Hope this helps!  :)

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 4, 2007
            After 18 years I finally figured it out. I bought some fairly cheap
            square paint brush water basins that have assorted holes in them for the
            brushes (I think Sax and very resonably priced) Each box is numbered,
            each kid is assigned a number on their desk that they sit at and it is
            their responsibility to leave a clean, dumped out brush basin with clean
            points-up brushes for the next class. Everyone has the same number of
            brushes, a minimal number, so there aren't too many to clean. They do a
            fine job of tattle-tailing on each other if the brushes are not washed
            out from the prior class and it is very easy for me to walk around at
            the conclusion of the class and do a quick check. Any opportunity to
            leave brushes at the sink they will go for it so it is no longer an
            option in my room. This has worked well the past 3 years with out me
            losing my mind over dirty brushes with dried out paint in them. I also
            ditched acrylic paint because even if they do forget at least now the
            brush isn't ruined:)
            Jennie, Indiana

            >>> Greg Hogan <gshogan@...> 06/04/07 9:17 AM >>>
            I work with Jr High students, and this past year I really had one of the
            worst years with painting projects. No matter what management technique
            I used I still ended up with paint brushes left unclean and not washed
            out. Does anyone have any suggestions for next year to make sure
            students wash out their brushes and keep them clean?
            Thanks for your ideas,
            Greg, Arkansas
          • tricia_fuglestad
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
              Yes, I have a solution for sloppy paint brushes-do I ever!
              This is a big problem with my elementary school students, so we brainstormed the idea of
              making a movie about how a once young and handsome brush became tragically sloppy
              through neglect and abuse. This became the (award winning-actually) movie called, "Young
              Sloppy Brush". Check it out. It may be too elementary schoolish for your middleschool
              students, though.
              http://youngsloppybrush.notlong.com

              I have a bunch of other movies about art related topics on my website,
              http://fugleflicks.notlong.com

              Enjoy!
              Tricia
            • Marsha Carman
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                At the end of the class period I put away the paint brush containers and the
                students must turn in their brushes to me still wet with water. I squeeze
                to see if they are clean then I put them away in the container. The students
                watch me check and learn to check their own before turning them in to me.
                This works well at the high school level. When I am busy I will assign a
                student to be the brush checker. I check the sink before the bell and if
                there is a paintbrush left out I retain the entire class until it is cleaned
                and turned it. The students soon begin to monitor each other so they will
                not be tardy for the following class.

                M Carman

                Don�t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft
                Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/
              • Kerri Gordon
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                  I do the "nose" test...After the students "clean" their brushes, I have
                  the students wipe the brush on their nose...if its clean, their nose is
                  safe, if they didn't clean it well enough, then their nose is dirty:)
                  Has improved their brush cleaning 10-fold;) Plus they think its fun:)
                  Kerri
                  Art Teacher

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                    Re: [art_education] Re: Sloppy Brush Solution! The movie of “Sloppy Brush” is delightful. Reminds me that art classes can
                    be more than painting. MOVIES! Slide Shows! --- and mOre.
                    So creative and inspiring. Well done.

                    On  6/5/07 5:52 AM,  tricia_fuglestad  tricia_fuglestad@...  wrote:

                    Yes, I have a solution for sloppy paint brushes-do I ever!
                    This is a big problem with my elementary school students, so we brainstormed the idea of
                    making a movie about how a once young and handsome brush became tragically sloppy
                    through neglect and abuse. This became the (award winning-actually) movie called, "Young
                    Sloppy Brush".  Check it out. It may be too elementary schoolish for your middleschool
                    students, though.
                    http://youngsloppybrush.notlong.com

                    I have a bunch of other movies about art related topics on my website,
                    http://fugleflicks.notlong.com

                    Enjoy!
                    Tricia

                  • Anna K. Ball
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                      Omigod what a great video. I'm going to use it next year in my middle school.

                      thanks,
                      anna in sd

                      Yes, I have a solution for sloppy paint brushes-do I ever!
                      This is a big problem with my elementary school students, so we brainstormed the idea of
                      making a movie about how a once young and handsome brush became tragically sloppy
                      through neglect and abuse. This became the (award winning-actually) movie called, "Young
                      Sloppy Brush". Check it out. It may be too elementary schoolish for your middleschool
                      students, though.
                      http://youngsloppyb rush.notlong. com

                      I have a bunch of other movies about art related topics on my website,
                      http://fugleflicks. notlong.com

                      Enjoy!
                      Tricia

                    • katday2001
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                        I'm glad to see so many replies for something I've struggled with
                        several years. I've tried most of these, and they all have their
                        disadvantages. I work with high schoolers, but the movie Sloppy Brush
                        and the nose test would be great with younger kids. :)

                        Here are two more methods I plan to try this year:
                        1. Buy the gallon of brush cleaner from Sax (white, creamy) and keep
                        it in an open can. Students wash off their brushes in water and put
                        them into the can-- even if they are not perfectly clean, they stay
                        good until you the teacher has time to wash them off better.
                        2. MY problem has been The Hidden Brush-- students hide their brushes
                        until I come across them some day in cleaning-- too late to save them.
                        Checking out brushes one at a time is okay, if you are the calm sort
                        of teacher sitting at her desk surveying her domain. However, I'm
                        usually rushing around and brushes leave without being checked out.
                        SO, someone suggested drilling holes into a piece of 2 x 4-- the
                        problem with the square brush-washing bins is the holes will not
                        accomodate larger brushes. So, drill your holes and assign one set of
                        brushes per table or student. At the end of class, you can check that
                        all the brushes are clean and put away in their holder.

                        I've found that most kids are good about brush-cleaning when there is
                        a system, but there are always one or two who will not clean it, no
                        matter what procedure you try. You can try banning those kids from
                        any paint but watercolor.
                        Kathleen
                        NEVC Missouri
                        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Greg Hogan <gshogan@...> wrote:

                        > I work with Jr High students, and this past year I really had one of
                        the worst years with painting projects. No matter what management
                        technique I used I still ended up with paint brushes left unclean and
                        not washed out. Does anyone have any suggestions for next year to
                        make sure students wash out their brushes and keep them clean?
                        > Thanks for your ideas,
                        > Greg, Arkansas

                      • aliteachesart
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                          I would show Tricia Fuglestad's movie to them anyway. I played the pattern repeat song
                          for my 1st grade and they loved it so much we listened to it ALL CLASS. They were singing
                          along and requested it the next week. Now when I want them to make more patterns I
                          just say patterns repeat and they burst into song patterns repeat, patterns repeat. Ali B.
                        • patricia fort
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                            On Jun 5, 2007, at 3:03 PM, aliteachesart wrote:
                            from patricia fort
                            pfort@...
                            > what is this movie and where can i get it --"Tricia Fuglestad's movie"
                            >
                            > ffrom patricia fort
                          • tricia_fuglestad
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                              Yeah! That makes me SO Happy! I spent so long on that video last summer...singing to my
                              computer to record it in garageband software and learning how to animate in flash...
                              All that work is worth it when I hear about kids liking it and teachers using it-YEAH!
                              My students love it too. If I've made you curious...
                              Here is a link to REPEAT (warning, this song contains needless repetition)
                              http://repeat.notlong.com
                              -Tricia

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                                it's on my website:
                                http://youngsloppybrush.notlong.com
                                and more movies:

                                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, patricia fort <pfort@...> wrote:

                                > On Jun 5, 2007, at 3:03 PM, aliteachesart wrote:
                                > from patricia fort
                                > pfort@...
                                > > what is this movie and where can i get it --"Tricia Fuglestad's movie"
                                > >
                                > > ffrom patricia fort

                              • Act Silly 4 Art

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jun 5, 2007
                                    I had this same problem with a group of high school students. I solved
                                    this problem by giving a group of 4 a bucket of 10 brushes, and 4
                                    palettes. 2 students cleaned brushes and 2 cleaned palettes. Brushes
                                    and palettes were returned to group of desk. Anything left in the sink
                                    was stashed away and students in that group lost those suppplies. once
                                    students didn't have their supplies, they would ask for them. They
                                    would have to come in on their own time and clean out the palette and
                                    wash brushes for me (I gave the brushes a cleaning because leaving them
                                    would have ruined them).So far this has worked the best for me.

                                    Michele
                                    NY