new position & need advice

  • nancylvsart
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
      Great news! After a year teaching elementary, I just got a job at a
      high school! The only challenge is that I will be teaching photo!
      Although I have a minor in photo, it has been 15 years since I have
      been in a darkroom & I have never taught photo! I know I will be
      teaching digital & regular photo. Any ideas or suggestions?? They
      were also interested in computer generated art/photo- so I need help
      there as well. ANY help would be GREAT!

      Thanks a mil!
      Nancy in fl.
    • smjahnle@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
        In a message dated 6/1/2007 8:48:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time, nancylvsart@... writes:

        Great news! After a year teaching elementary, I just got a job at a
        high school! The only challenge is that I will be teaching photo!
        Although I have a minor in photo, it has been 15 years since I have
        been in a darkroom & I have never taught photo! I know I will be
        teaching digital & regular photo. Any ideas or suggestions? ? They
        were also interested in computer generated art/photo- so I need help
        there as well. ANY help would be GREAT!

        Thanks a mil!

        Congrats, Nancy!  As an artist and teacher looking for work, can you tell me how you got the job, since you say you have never taught photo and 15 yrs since you were in darkroom?  I just applied for a job, and found out that 92 people have also applied!  Having a tough time - what's your secret for success?  Good luck, Sandy

        See what's free at AOL.com.
      • Vicki Kolden
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2007
          I am just wondering...are those photo chemicals non toxic?
          It has been 20 some years since I worked in a dark room and i was never very good at it...but are the chemicals harmful in any way?
          Vickie in MN

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 4, 2007
            First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on your new position.  I started teaching digital photography to my 8th graders 2 years ago.  I, too, had minored in photography back in college and technology has since changed from the good o' darkroom days.  Anyway, there was an excellent show on DIY a year ago called "The Whole Picture" hosted by photographer Erin Manning.  I recorded every episode and from her tips and tricks created my own lesson plan on teaching digital photograph and used segments of her program to help further my student's instruction.  She is quick EXCELLENT.   You might want to search the web for her and see if she has any dvds or literature out there to help you.  For the darkroom, I was quite nervous going back in the darkroom.  In fact, I took a refresher course at the local university during the summer to help jog my memory on preparing the chemicals, baths, fixers, processing, and set up of the room.  As for the computer generated art, that can be learned quickly by searching the internet for tips and tricks using Photoshop or Elements or Corel or whatever program you are able to get your hands on.

            Hope this helps

            nancylvsart <nancylvsart@...> wrote:
            Great news! After a year teaching elementary, I just got a job at a
            high school! The only challenge is that I will be teaching photo!
            Although I have a minor in photo, it has been 15 years since I have
            been in a darkroom & I have never taught photo! I know I will be
            teaching digital & regular photo. Any ideas or suggestions? ? They
            were also interested in computer generated art/photo- so I need help
            there as well. ANY help would be GREAT!

            Thanks a mil!
            Nancy in fl.

            Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.