How do you catagorize art prints?

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hi All,

      I decided to organize my art prints by landscape, portrait, still life and non objective so I
      can display more art next year ala the 5 minute museum (Kathy Douglas TAB teacher
      extrordonaire) and am kind of stuck on a few like if the painting is a scene with some
      people or animals. I have been putting some in landscape if the setting is most
      important, portrait if the figures; but some are confusing. Seascapes are getting me too-
      Thanks, Ali B.
    • Amy Broady
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2007
        Hello, Ali, and all. :-)

        Here's an idea--how about a separate category for the ambiguous
        ones...and then use them as a discussion springboard. When you
        display one of the ones you are undecided about, let the students
        share their opinions about how it should be classified. You can also
        discuss with them the fact that not all art falls easily into
        categories.

        I have not done the 5-minute museum, but I'm thinking I might start
        that next year.

        I have done a "table museum" at the end of the class, where the
        students leave their work on the table, and all get up. They take a
        tour around all of the tables (I show them how the line should move)
        so each student gets a look at what the each of the other students
        did that day. This is good, too, for inviting the classroom teacher
        in to see what her class has accomplished.

        School out for me--yippee!
        Just working to get my classroom ready for summer.
        Amy in TN
      • K Olson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2007
          I have 100's of large art prints and have them in flat file drawers alphabetically by artist's last name.  I made up an excel database for them.  The database has the following categories so I can easily search for what I'm looking for:
          last name
          first name
          title of work
          style or time period
          subject matter (children, landscape, color, line, etc)
          media
          key words
          (make up whatever categories work for you)

          I had a parent input the data when I first started.  Now when I get a new print, I enter it into the database before I put it away.

          For smaller resources I've made posterboard folders (folded in half and stapled on the sides) and alphabetized them by artist, technique, subject matter, etc.  They are standing up in large plastic lidded bins under one of my work tables.

          And I have 2 file cabinets full of ideas, too.

          Hope this helps.
          Kathy in California

          Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!