Re: [art_education] Stools or Chairs?

  • Victoria Patterson
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2007
      OK...I'll be a fly in the ointment here...I prefer stools for a few reasons. Years ago, I had a very small classroom, and the stools took up less floor space, and they slide completely under the table when not in use.  My students (K-5) often like to work standing up...especially with clay, so, being able to put the stool out of the way, and stand behind it (or rest one knee on it) also takes up less room. I have pretty standard size tables, so the stools I have are 18" high...any higher, and you have to get taller tables, or little kids can't get on them.  When we have a drawing studio, furniture can be re-configured quickly, and if the kids want to sit on the floor to draw, they can prop their drawing board against the stool as an easel.  I also use them as a step stool for most things that are out of reach.  I keep them oiled and put crutch tips on the legs so the kids can't "screech" them across the floor. My first set of 30 stools was purchased in 1978, and I didn't have to replace any until 1998...and then only 10.  About every 5-7 years I get another 10 new stools. (so far, since 1978, I've replaced 20 of them, and the school keeps all the old ones repaired and stored to use for special events.
      I guess it depends what kind of chairs you are thinking about...folding chairs are gross for little kids, and terribly unsafe,
      and the moulded plastic ones don't last very long.
      If you decide to look at stools, look carefully at the metal ring (that kids put their feet on)  it should be at least 1/3 of the way (at least 6") off the floor.  Some are made with the metal ring right at floor level...those break easily and the kids trip on them.
      Vicki
      daughertyjm79 <daughertyjm79@...> wrote:
      I know this year we have had many discussions about furniture in the
      art room, but I have a question about which is better for an artroom
      which will have 2nd grade through eventually 8th grade visiting it.
      The school I am working for is ordering stools, and I want to make
      sure this is the best way to go. I have only had experience with
      chairs in my classrooms, and I prefer sitting in chairs as opposed to
      stools, but I wonder what would work best in the classroom. Any help
      would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks!
      Jill in St. Louis

      Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

    • arizkma
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
        To stop the squeeky stool issue (if the feet of the stool are dragged
        across the floor), put tennis balls on the feet of the stools.

        ~ Kathleen