Stools or Chairs?

  • daughertyjm79
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2007
      I know this year we have had many discussions about furniture in the
      art room, but I have a question about which is better for an artroom
      which will have 2nd grade through eventually 8th grade visiting it.
      The school I am working for is ordering stools, and I want to make
      sure this is the best way to go. I have only had experience with
      chairs in my classrooms, and I prefer sitting in chairs as opposed to
      stools, but I wonder what would work best in the classroom. Any help
      would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks!
      Jill in St. Louis
    • OLSON, AMANDA
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2007
        I have chairs in one classroom and stools in another.  I would say
        the biggest problem with the stools is that they break often.  The kids
        put their feet on the ring that holds the legs of the stools out.  (hopefully
        you understand what im trying to say) and that ring breaks off - I have
        the shop class weld them back together, but once broken they break more often.
        Chairs are better comfort wise (we have 1.5 hour classes here- so I would
        vote chairs if i had the choice.

        I know this year we have had many discussions about furniture in the
        art room, but I have a question about which is better for an artroom
        which will have 2nd grade through eventually 8th grade visiting it.
        The school I am working for is ordering stools, and I want to make
        sure this is the best way to go. I have only had experience with
        chairs in my classrooms, and I prefer sitting in chairs as opposed to
        stools, but I wonder what would work best in the classroom. Any help
        would be greatly appreciated.

        Thanks!
        Jill in St. Louis

      • gpercy1
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2007
          I'm a proponent of chairs for a few reasons...generally speaking, chairs force you to face in
          one direction, much more difficult to turn around for a very long period of time.The hoops
          on the bottom of stools tend to break, and stools start to get squeaky before they
          break...Also chairs are better for longer classes-comfort factor...

          My 2 cents...

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "OLSON, AMANDA" <aolso@...> wrote:

          > I have chairs in one classroom and stools in another. I would say
          > the biggest problem with the stools is that they break often. The kids
          > put their feet on the ring that holds the legs of the stools out. (hopefully
          > you understand what im trying to say) and that ring breaks off - I have
          > the shop class weld them back together, but once broken they break more often.
          > Chairs are better comfort wise (we have 1.5 hour classes here- so I would
          > vote chairs if i had the choice.
          >

          > I know this year we have had many discussions about furniture in the
          > art room, but I have a question about which is better for an artroom
          > which will have 2nd grade through eventually 8th grade visiting it.
          > The school I am working for is ordering stools, and I want to make
          > sure this is the best way to go. I have only had experience with
          > chairs in my classrooms, and I prefer sitting in chairs as opposed to
          > stools, but I wonder what would work best in the classroom. Any help
          > would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Jill in St. Louis

        • Victoria Patterson
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2007
            OK...I'll be a fly in the ointment here...I prefer stools for a few reasons. Years ago, I had a very small classroom, and the stools took up less floor space, and they slide completely under the table when not in use.  My students (K-5) often like to work standing up...especially with clay, so, being able to put the stool out of the way, and stand behind it (or rest one knee on it) also takes up less room. I have pretty standard size tables, so the stools I have are 18" high...any higher, and you have to get taller tables, or little kids can't get on them.  When we have a drawing studio, furniture can be re-configured quickly, and if the kids want to sit on the floor to draw, they can prop their drawing board against the stool as an easel.  I also use them as a step stool for most things that are out of reach.  I keep them oiled and put crutch tips on the legs so the kids can't "screech" them across the floor. My first set of 30 stools was purchased in 1978, and I didn't have to replace any until 1998...and then only 10.  About every 5-7 years I get another 10 new stools. (so far, since 1978, I've replaced 20 of them, and the school keeps all the old ones repaired and stored to use for special events.
            I guess it depends what kind of chairs you are thinking about...folding chairs are gross for little kids, and terribly unsafe,
            and the moulded plastic ones don't last very long.
            If you decide to look at stools, look carefully at the metal ring (that kids put their feet on)  it should be at least 1/3 of the way (at least 6") off the floor.  Some are made with the metal ring right at floor level...those break easily and the kids trip on them.
            Vicki
            daughertyjm79 <daughertyjm79@...> wrote:
            I know this year we have had many discussions about furniture in the
            art room, but I have a question about which is better for an artroom
            which will have 2nd grade through eventually 8th grade visiting it.
            The school I am working for is ordering stools, and I want to make
            sure this is the best way to go. I have only had experience with
            chairs in my classrooms, and I prefer sitting in chairs as opposed to
            stools, but I wonder what would work best in the classroom. Any help
            would be greatly appreciated.

            Thanks!
            Jill in St. Louis

            Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!

          • arizkma
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2007
              To stop the squeeky stool issue (if the feet of the stool are dragged
              across the floor), put tennis balls on the feet of the stools.

              ~ Kathleen