Re: Need help from colleagues- job hunt

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 12 , May 4, 2007
      > Hi Jeannette,

      I too am looking for a job. nyeducationjobs.com costs $10 a month, but is my one stop
      clearing house for listings state wide. You can search by region and there is a map
      showing where the school is located, school info and newspaper links. I found my current
      position here. NYC is in constant need of teachers and the certification to teach there is
      streamlined because of the need. Getting reciprocity to teach in northern NY took months,
      3 tests and a few hundred dollars. I just applied for initial cert. in Florida and it took
      about 15 minutes and $56. There is a site teach in florida that gives you the low down on
      areas, job fairs, post and send your resume, etc.

      As for not getting interviews; often (atleast here and in MA) the district has their hire
      before posting the ad. I would double check your cover letter and resume for grammarical
      errors and spelling just in case (I wish this list had spell check!) and add a cd with student
      work or a web link. Getting of the sub list- even if you only ask for calls for art will get
      your foot in the door. Good luck ALi
    • Lenny Sanz
      Message 2 of 12 , May 4, 2007
        I am replying to Jeannette and all those replying to her.
        I too have been looking for a job, I guess almost always.
        I work in an impoverished district in NY and the kids are very tough.
        I went to a district job fair recently- all the other subject areas had
        a few
        applicants here and there- but the art area had at least 70 people,
        most of whom were in their 20's mind you- I'm in my 50's. I guess it
        depends on the district-
        but many are looking for those on beginning salary steps.......
        It's tough, but I've always made my living in art- first as a Graphic
        Designer, and then as an art teacher for the past 12 years.
        I love it though and am grateful to be working, but the art market
        has always been very competitive. Keep on tyring
        and you'll make it.

        Donna

        On Friday, May 4, 2007, at 10:30 AM, aliteachesart wrote:

        > > Hi Jeannette,
        >
        > I too am looking for a job. nyeducationjobs.com costs $10 a month, but
        > is my one stop
        > clearing house for listings state wide. You can search by region and
        > there is a map
        > showing where the school is located, school info and newspaper links.
        > I found my current
        > position here. NYC is in constant need of teachers and the
        > certification to teach there is
        > streamlined because of the need. Getting reciprocity to teach in
        > northern NY took months,
        > 3 tests and a few hundred dollars. I just applied for initial cert. in
        > Florida and it took
        > about 15 minutes and $56. There is a site teach in florida that gives
        > you the low down on
        > areas, job fairs, post and send your resume, etc.
        >
        > As for not getting interviews; often (atleast here and in MA) the
        > district has their hire
        > before posting the ad. I would double check your cover letter and
        > resume for grammarical
        > errors and spelling just in case (I wish this list had spell check!)
        > and add a cd with student
        > work or a web link. Getting of the sub list- even if you only ask for
        > calls for art will get
        > your foot in the door. Good luck ALi

      • julie t.
        Message 3 of 12 , May 5, 2007
          there's a job opening in my district at the continuation high school...a tougher assignment, but i think they get out around 1 pm with very small classes.  my district has competitive salaries and takes all years of credit (rare!)

          if you're thinking about sunny so calif, see http://www.wuhsd.k12.ca.us/811381017172137/lib/811381017172137/_files/ART_TEACHER.pdf

          :-) julie t.

          ‹(•¿•)›

        • julie t.
          Message 4 of 12 , May 5, 2007
            oops!  there are two art positions open...one at the continuation hs and one at a comprehensive hs.  the district hs art teachers meet once a month and are a great group :-) julie t.

            ‹(•¿•)›